RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

So I have the power folding mirrors on my 2015 truck, the standard non-tow version.

I want to swap the standard version out for the tow version, but want to retain the power fold, as it's useful here in the city. I've been looking at kits and they all seem to be for upgrading from non-power fold standard mirrors to power fold tow, so they include door switches, modules etc.

Can I not just buy power folding tow mirrors and slap them on with my existing power mirror wiring? Or do I actually need to buy a kit and install new modules etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
IIRC, my truck came with power fold mirrors, then was "upgraded" to non fold tow mirrors (according to the window sticker). I love the tow mirrors, but having them power fold would be a great option.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hey Folks,

So I have the power folding mirrors on my 2015 truck, the standard non-tow version.

I want to swap the standard version out for the tow version, but want to retain the power fold, as it's useful here in the city. I've been looking at kits and they all seem to be for upgrading from non-power fold standard mirrors to power fold tow, so they include door switches, modules etc.

Can I not just buy power folding tow mirrors and slap them on with my existing power mirror wiring? Or do I actually need to buy a kit and install new modules etc?

go to rock auto , they have a set of towing morrors that snap over the folding morrors and do not block the puddle lights or the turn signal indicators on the front of the mirrors. I bought a set and they are great, you cannot even tell they are an add on...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
go to rock auto , they have a set of towing morrors that snap over the folding morrors and do not block the puddle lights or the turn signal indicators on the front of the mirrors. I bought a set and they are great, you cannot even tell they are an add on...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
1A Auto also carries a replacement mirror that looks like the factory tow mirror but also power folds. If you have the part number of your current mirrors which is usually found where they mount to the truck, 1A will match them up for you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Power folding tow mirrors weren't offered with the 1500 but were offered on the HDs. Why ram chose to do this is beyond me, and they still do it this way today. You should be able to find the part number for the factory power folding mirror for the 2500, then just decide if you buy from the stealership, autoparts store or online. it wouldn't surprise me if 1A Auto is using that same mirror.

Reactions: NPRBoy

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you choose to get the slide on version of temporary tow mirrors be advised they won’t fit if your stock mirrors have the faux chrome trim. The Fit System 80710 snap on mirror fits and has cutouts for turn signals and puddle lamps. On Amazon for $42

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @applianceman, this is a quick and cheap way to get the functionality I need without having to drop a ton of $ and do lots of fiddling with the doors. I've ordered them. I only tow a trailer a couple of times a year so it's nice to be able to remove them when not in use!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
this is a quick and cheap way to get the functionality I need without having to drop a ton of $ and do lots of fiddling with the doors. I've ordered them. I only tow a trailer a couple of times a year so it's nice to be able to remove them when not in use!
I use those same ones towing a trailer that has an overall length including the tongue of 32', visibility is good.
I would have gone with replacement power fold tow mirrors but I would have to fold them in every time I park in the garage :-(

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think The wide trailering mirrors should have a mandatory electric folding feature. I hate crossing paths with a guy in a full size truck, nothing in tow, and those damn wide ass mirrors crossing over the line into my lane. Being that my non-towing mirrors are electric at least I can simply retract them to avoid losing them. Sometimes I Think they do it on purpose just to show how big they are (or aren’t ;)).

·
Registered
4,446 Posts

I think these would work for you: 2015 Ram 1500 Truck 7 x 11 Inch Mirror Glass with Factory Power Folding Mirrors Only Driver & Passenger Side Power Heated Turn Signal Puddle Light Power-Folding Textured Black Flip-Up Towing Driver Side Temperature Sensor 2 Piece Mirror Set

·
Registered
40 Posts
1A Auto also carries a replacement mirror that looks like the factory tow mirror but also power folds. If you have the part number of your current mirrors which is usually found where they mount to the truck, 1A will match them up for you.
Yea i have these and i like them. You have to adjust them everytime you tow but thats not terrible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice mirrors too. I got them for my 16. Exact same features as from factory (heated, power, power fold). order the SAME features as came with your truck and they are plug n play. They suggest, and I got, the metal reinforcement brackets that come with factory installed tow mirrors. They would work without them but these are pretty good sized pieces just to hang on plastic, so I went with them. Absolutely no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts