RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the FCA/ AEM update for the 2016 and older writes over the TCM? And how do you know? If the trans had the GDE pre EPA tune before the AEM update, is there a way to tell if it's still there or got written over?

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
756 Posts
The AEM did include flashing the TCM. It was specifically stated in the documentation provided as part of the settlement. If you had the GDE trans tune installed when the AEM flash was done, you've now lost your tune and your GDE flash tool is locked up because it won't be able to find the tune file that it thinks should be on the TCM.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Should be able to determine stock trans tune if it has difficulty holding 8th gear between 50-55mph, and has a tendency to do 2nd gear starts from a stop. GDE will hold 8th very well and will snap through gears 1-3 quickly with no laziness.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been told that the original GDE tune will allow the cruise control to be set at 15mph. This is how owners know the tune is still there and working.
Canyon

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I have been told that the original GDE tune will allow the cruise control to be set at 15mph. This is how owners know the tune is still there and working.
Canyon
OP asked how to determine if a GDE trans tune is still in place.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
549 Posts
Should also be able to tell if the GDE trans tune is there by the behavior of the gear controls on the steering wheel. If you can select a gear with the buttons and then manually move up or down - or move the trans back to full auto mode by holding down either the + or - buttons - then the GDE trans tune is still there. If the buttons don't behave that way then unfortunately it's gone.

Bob

Reactions: Fediej

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should also be able to tell if the GDE trans tune is there by the behavior of the gear controls on the steering wheel. If you can select a gear with the buttons and then manually move up or down - or move the trans back to full auto mode by holding down either the + or - buttons - then the GDE trans tune is still there. If the buttons don't behave that way then unfortunately it's gone.

Bob

Bob
I forgot about that. I will check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts