RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In January 2019, my '15 ED with <60K mi needed exhaust system repair. The day after I returned from a 1200 mi road trip, I got the warning to drive on the highway to start a regen. It never regen'd. I drove for 30 miles out of town and back. The result was my DPF filled to 100% and the truck went into limp mode. I read the codes, it indicated a failed exhaust temp sensor. That could explain the behavior.

I took the truck to my shady local dealer. It sat there for 2-3 waiting for diagnosis (surprise, it was a catalytic temp sensor...exactly what I told them it was) and then another 2-3 days waiting for parts. It cost about $750 to replace the sensor, do a manual regen, and repair the DPF. My dealer is crooked, so I don't know if this is the standard course of action but it seemed reasonable. And my truck was again serviceable and I was no longer stranded. It was not covered under the Powertrain warranty because apparently it was not critical to driving the vehicle (which would not run without the repair...makes sense). Needless to say, I was unhappy with the truck, dealer, and experience.

At this time, I was aware of the pending Ecodiesel settlement. Once the settlement was approved and the preliminary application process started, I began calling to see if this expense, now covered under the extended warranty, would be reimbursed. I was repeatedly told (no less than 3 times) that it would be covered once I completed the necessary settlement actions (e.g., AEM).

I received my settlement check last week. So, I submitted a claim for reimbursement last Friday through FCA Customer Care. The lady on the phone was incredibly helpful and courteous and the process only took about 15 mins. This morning, "after thorough review," my reimbursement claim was denied because my extended warranty did not begin until the AEM was complete.

I feel like this is unfair and ridiculous. If our vehicles are covered by an extended warranty, but we already replaced/repaired components, I believe we should be reimbursed. We should not be liable for component unreliability...that is what a product warranty means. I replied to the email only to receive an automated response immediately informing me that my case was closed.

Am I being unreasonable?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Opinion may be of no value here. Warranty is a legal issue, so your best action may be to have a lawyer write a letter to FCA (not the dealer), then if still denied, go to small claims court.

·
Registered
389 Posts
contact stern law

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is very easy for them to deny, and most people will just give up. Don't be "most people".

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had similar issues - three in fact. I kept on them. It took about a year and a half for one claim to get reimbursed - opening multiple cases for the one claim. I would just call while taking lunch to file/follow up on claims. I've never actually had FCA warranty anything besides recalls without needing to spend several hours on the phone to dispute denied claims. Their warranty process is worst part about owning their products.

Just keep at it. Scan all of your records so it's easy to submit them via email and open up a case every couple months or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am in a similar situation. My 2015 ED was towed in after a shutdown. Dealer found bad reluctor wheel and crank senor bad, 3 parts in total, I can't remember the other one. Asking for about $2000 in repairs. Prior to speaking with the service writer I went in the garage and spoke to the mechanics. They told me this is a common repair and typically covered in the AEM warranty. Problem is that I have not been able to get in to get the AEM done so it is not currently under warranty. The Dealer is telling me Chrysler will work with me for some kind of reimbursement. Once the repairs are completed they can do the AEM updates and I would be under warranty, just not right now, so I have to pay up front. I have no faith that the dealer is looking out for me by telling me to pay upfront and try to get reimbursed later. The dealer suggested that it would be a bad idea to call and open a case while the truck is broke. Seems to me the dealer is looking out for themselves. Possibly they get paid less by Chrysler.

So I just don't know if I am better off paying upfront or trying to start a claim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts