RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this? Last night my 2016 post AEM "downgrade" ED flashed the % Oil Life light on my display. Funny thing is, I knew it had only been maybe 1,200 miles or so since I changed it. In fact, the display even read 1,297 miles since the last change. So unless 1) there's something magical going on inside the engine 2) the new Rotella Synthetic was defective from the refinery, or 3) my engine is running an internal temperature WAAAAAY above normal, I'm guessing it's a computer/sensor glitch. I've already reset the computer and will need to remember to adjust for the 1,300 miles at the next oil change.
Anyone run into this and have an answer?

·
Registered
12,559 Posts
Others have had a variation on the issue. Computer glitch on flash maybe?

Forget that gizmo and keep your oil interval on paper like the “old days”.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It happened to me installing a tuned ECM, and many others, and I agree it's some kind of glitch, one you don't need to worry over.

FWIW, the oil life counter is just a miles counter. I can never find any variance between towing, not towing, winter, summer, it's pretty much 100% = 10,000 miles. I keep oil/filter change dates/miles in my manual. You have the best answer, just keep track of miles until the next change.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
... 3) my engine is running an internal temperature WAAAAAY above normal, I'm guessing it's a computer/sensor glitch. I've already reset the computer and will need to remember to adjust for the 1,300 miles at the next oil change.
Anyone run into this and have an answer?
Is the temperature comment a theory ??
or are you running hot ,
gregdoud , level of coolant in your bottle ????????
if your ECM determined your engine was overheating ,
based on the info it collected from the many sensors on the engine
it may think the oil was heated too much , I 've never read of such a thing on the site
but who knows .....
remember coolant low in bottle stops at +/- 1 inch from bottom , but starts to go down in engine and rad ,
first you notice the fan comes on , you'll know ; it's loud ,
the temps may look acceptable but coolant reaching sensor ??
low coolant will ruin your water pump and head gasket , killing your engine .
usual link for reerence : http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html
so , how is the level inthe coolant bottle ??

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sourdo, not on the 17's. Mine is totally based on driving conditions. This pic is 3 miles one way to work, never getting warmed up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine is a 2017, but a Tradesman. IT does and is "by the mile" in terms of % and always has been. The oil change before this last one, we RV'ed 14.5 k miles last spring for ten weeks, and it was right in step with the miles driven, makes no difference in oil life towing or not, and it runs hotter towing. I've done 5 oil and filter changes and I know this, it's just the way it works with my truck, and others. This is not a new topic.

You may have to consider your oil life meter is broke. That isn't right at all 84% after 312 miles. Remember, it's just a reminder, like a clock, not some AI know all machine. Just like the fake oil pressure gauge that only gives you a reading based on heat and rpm's. The only accurate reading you'll get from the oil pressure gauge is when it goes to zero and your truck shuts off with it's now probably ruined motor. That oil pressure thing was so dumb to me, I installed a real one. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/installing-an-oil-pressure-gauge.60580/#post-915916

I wouldn't read too much into it. Keep a logbook whether you do the change or someone else does. I keep a quick log in the back of my manual, and detailed reports with photocopies of receipts on the computer/cloud that are always available to me wherever I go. Pencil and paper takes precedence here over the oil life meter.

I took note of your picture, you have the oil life meter in your face all the time? Yea that would bug me too. My simpler Tradesman has a small screen, you have to scroll to the oil life to see it, so most of the time I never look or care as I know when I last changed the oil.

Have your dealer look at it, they may of mucked it up with the AEM. This is one of the reasons I went with the Tradesman, less electrical stuff to go on the fritz.

If your truck got that hot to affect oil life, you would've of already known about it.

When I read these post's, I always assume that the OP has checked the oil and coolant, often and regularly.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sourdo, under better driving conditions it will go up, apparently the newer trucks are based on conditions. Longer range trips it goes up, that mileage and % was the worst possible conditions. 3 miles 1 way to work, turn it off. get in and go 3 miles at lunch, 3 miles back to work and 3 miles home.

No, I can put whatever screen up I want, it's almost always the oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp screen

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same "0% oil life remaining" message after the update. It had been just a few thousand miles since I had done an oil change. After an inquiry and complaint to the 800 number, they said "sorry for the problem" and offered me 3 free oil/filter changes for my trouble. Nice outcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same "0% oil life remaining" message after the update. It had been just a few thousand miles since I had done an oil change. After an inquiry and complaint to the 800 number, they said "sorry for the problem" and offered me 3 free oil/filter changes for my trouble. Nice outcome.
What 800 number did you call - just had the jump from 70% to 0% today!!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
3 miles 1 way to work, turn it off. get in and go 3 miles at lunch, 3 miles back to work and 3 miles home.

Not to try and change the subject, but my mind keeps coming back to this statement. Perhaps the Tradesman has a "dumber" oil life meter, IDK, but those driving habits you wrote about is a clue, and if your oil life meter does as you say, those short trips could be a cause of shortened oil life.

I am under the firm notion that short, cold, not getting the engine hot, frequent trips will kill this engine. The extra fuel that is injected on the exhaust stroke to get the DPF hot enough to burn off the soot, some of that fuel gets past the piston rings, and ends up in your oil. One of the options for the GDE tune is to offer a notice when my truck is doing a Regen. Stock you get no notice, it's all automatic, unless you get to 80% and then you'll get the notice to hit the hwy. So if/when I get the DPF full notice, I just go for a short drive, it doesn't take long, 10 miles or so, but it has to be done and the hotter the engine the better. Plus you got the EGR mess that will build up, because the engine is not allowed to get to full temperature.

So unless you get the engine hot, that diesel fuel blowby will build up and reduce the viscosity of the oil and compromise bearing life. These engines are cold blooded as are most diesels. Even in the summer, it takes me a good 5 miles to get full hot. In the deep of winter that goes up to at least ten miles, plugged in with front cover and all and warmed up to 150 F before driving. And sometimes it's a PITA, I have to literally "take the long way home". Last winter I made sure this motor was at least 180 F before shutting off.

I had a oil report this month on my 5th oil change. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/a-very-happy-oil-report.66786/#post-1004070

The report was very good, considering the 4,000 miles of towing on the oil. Towing equals hot engine. I would like to think I got this good oil report because I do this one thing, I make sure to properly warm up the engine.

I would sum all of this up and say it this way; "Diesels like to be worked and run hot!"

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not to try and change the subject, but my mind keeps coming back to this statement. Perhaps the Tradesman has a "dumber" oil life meter, IDK, but those driving habits you wrote about is a clue, and if your oil life meter does as you say, those short trips could be a cause of shortened oil life.

I am under the firm notion that short, cold, not getting the engine hot, frequent trips will kill this engine. The extra fuel that is injected on the exhaust stroke to get the DPF hot enough to burn off the soot, some of that fuel gets past the piston rings, and ends up in your oil. One of the options for the GDE tune is to offer a notice when my truck is doing a Regen. Stock you get no notice, it's all automatic, unless you get to 80% and then you'll get the notice to hit the hwy. So if/when I get the DPF full notice, I just go for a short drive, it doesn't take long, 10 miles or so, but it has to be done and the hotter the engine the better. Plus you got the EGR mess that will build up, because the engine is not allowed to get to full temperature.

So unless you get the engine hot, that diesel fuel blowby will build up and reduce the viscosity of the oil and compromise bearing life. These engines are cold blooded as are most diesels. Even in the summer, it takes me a good 5 miles to get full hot. In the deep of winter that goes up to at least ten miles, plugged in with front cover and all and warmed up to 150 F before driving. And sometimes it's a PITA, I have to literally "take the long way home". Last winter I made sure this motor was at least 180 F before shutting off.

I had a oil report this month on my 5th oil change. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/a-very-happy-oil-report.66786/#post-1004070

The report was very good, considering the 4,000 miles of towing on the oil. Towing equals hot engine. I would like to think I got this good oil report because I do this one thing, I make sure to properly warm up the engine.

I would sum all of this up and say it this way; "Diesels like to be worked and run hot!"
When I bought the truck I had a 20 mile run each way to work. In that scenario it was looking to be around 9k miles per change, every day coming home was a bunch of stop and go traffic which would have been negative on the oil life meter. Most people dont report this finding because their commute and job stays the same. I have pictures of just about every oil change and the miles on the oil with the %. In the 4 or 5 months I was at that job it's the only 2 times i have ever seen 80% and had to drive to get it back down. My experience is they are better to sit than never warm up. As I said, mine is a 17 they may have made the meter smarter on newer models. You wouldnt notice a couple % of your travel is consistent.

Pics of the progression with 4 to 5 months of the short trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts