RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a gde hot tune ecu (pre epa) not race but egr is to be turned off. Fuel mileage and regen times have been better . However on torque the regen monitor either a 1 or 0 i believe monitors the egr valve. Today out of shits and giggles I used alpha to read the command for the valve on the interstate and yes it shows on.

Did I get ripped off and get a post epa tune ? Or is this me looking way to hard at the issue?

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
179 Posts
I would say the ecm is tricked into thinking EGR is active. If it wasn’t the case the monitors may not show as ready for emission inspection purposes.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
You didn't get ripped off. The GDE tune is programmed to show the EGR as ready. That's a normal reading.

As for Torque, the regen mode is either 0 or 1, basically 0 is off and 1 is on. Has nothing to do with EGR. Regen mode shows 1 during an active regen. There's another PID for regen type to indicate passive regen. It's also 0 or 1.

Reactions: keiths487

·
Registered
976 Posts
Uncle buck would you have command pid info possibly ?
PID: 0169
Long Name: Commanded EGR
Short Name: CEGR
Minimum value: 0
Maximum value: 100
Scale Factor: 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: B*100/255

PID: 0169
Long Name: Actual EGR
Short Name: AEGR
Minimum value: 0
Maximum value: 100
Scale Factor: 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: C*100/255

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copy thank you all for helping, I'll add the torque pids for egr once I get to work. I've never really messed with alphas monitoring only used it to rewrite the ecu, and reset suspension codes due to icing (another issue).

Kinda figured the ecu was being tricked, guess what got me thinking was the increased fuel delivery when it was showing 1 which i am guessing i have set for passive as the active i can normally see triggered by dpf percent showing 100 and increased egr temps. Did gde lower the requirements for passive ? Cause normally when this is active the temps are less than 850.

Also one other question the dpf pressure im getting is consistently crazy high, is there a way to clean or swap that sensor thats not incredibly difficult ? Almost wondering if this could be causing the passive regen or the fuel usage....it was 770 @ my screen shot which was just cruising on the interstate seems high to me

·
Registered
378 Posts
Copy thank you all for helping, I'll add the torque pids for egr once I get to work. I've never really messed with alphas monitoring only used it to rewrite the ecu, and reset suspension codes due to icing (another issue).

Kinda figured the ecu was being tricked, guess what got me thinking was the increased fuel delivery when it was showing 1 which i am guessing i have set for passive as the active i can normally see triggered by dpf percent showing 100 and increased egr temps. Did gde lower the requirements for passive ? Cause normally when this is active the temps are less than 850.

Also one other question the dpf pressure im getting is consistently crazy high, is there a way to clean or swap that sensor thats not incredibly difficult ? Almost wondering if this could be causing the passive regen or the fuel usage....it was 770 @ my screen shot which was just cruising on the interstate seems high to me
Most folks monitor the delta pressure across the DPF, so I'm not sure what is "normal". It sounds high, but it is possible you just have something setup wrong.

There's a ton of different variables in what your are talking about. Depending on the model year the tune is from, some folks state that they can see the actual DPF percentage as it gets cleaned. I typically see it hit jump from 78% to 100% when the truck decides a regen is necessary and it doesn't change until it's "complete". GDE sets the filter level at 80% vs 60 or 65% on stock (forget exactly which).

I highly doubt you are in a passive regen running 70mph at 1700 rpm. There's another flag that will tell you if it's active or passive, but the snap shot is very likely of an active regen, for which case the EGR temps aren't really high enough for the regen to occur. Some folks say a minimum of 1000*F, but I typically don't see the filter value changing more around 1150*F. You can also use the AlfaOBD system status and it will tell you all sorts of things about the DPF status that you never wanted to know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I think I need to play with alfa a bit more, as stated earlier all I have really done with it was change the codes for ecu, and mess with suspension codes ....have some ice in line for air suspension so probably a bad strut (still working on this issue...) really prefer to use torque for monitoring... cheap odb blue tooth end up having to turn phone on and off to reconnect to either of the apps.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Yea I think I need to play with alfa a bit more, as stated earlier all I have really done with it was change the codes for ecu, and mess with suspension codes ....have some ice in line for air suspension so probably a bad strut (still working on this issue...) really prefer to use torque for monitoring... cheap odb blue tooth end up having to turn phone on and off to reconnect to either of the apps.
AlfaOBD doesn't like connecting for me if I've ran Torque Pro recently. I just go into settings>apps>torquepro>force stop. This allows AlfaOBD to connect. Shouldn't require a phone reboot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I purchased a gde hot tune ecu (pre epa) not race but egr is to be turned off. Fuel mileage and regen times have been better . However on torque the regen monitor either a 1 or 0 i believe monitors the egr valve. Today out of shits and giggles I used alpha to read the command for the valve on the interstate and yes it shows on.

Did I get ripped off and get a post epa tune ? Or is this me looking way to hard at the issue? View attachment 88896 View attachment 88897
Curious - what does your exhaust smell like? I recently loaded a competitor tune. Pre-tune no diesel smell in the exhaust, post tune I now know it is a diesel.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Curious - what does your exhaust smell like? I recently loaded a competitor tune. Pre-tune no diesel smell in the exhaust, post tune I now know it is a diesel.
I have a GDE tune and no exhaust odor. You should be concerned that yours does, considering the SCR should remove the odor. Which tune are you running?

·
Registered
4 Posts
SKT, zero smoke but plenty of smell. I know it is regenerating. If I wasnt sure of that I would be worried the race tune was loaded.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts