RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so one thing i keep seeing in various forums and even in reviews, is that TCO (cost of ownership) for the diesel may not provide a break even point because of the price of diesel... which has me somewhat confused as locally diesel is selling for .05 a gallon more than unleaded. so is that an anomaly? i know there was a period diesel was more but that seems to have not been true for a while now. so almost 50% better MPG compared to just about any gas V6/V8 for .05/gallon more? not seeing how this is not a good value, even for $2800-$4K (hemi/penstar), over 5-7 years + potential higher resale, what is it that has people saying there's no 'payback' for going with the ED?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I fully expect to get at least $2000 of the $2850 cost of the engine back when I sell/trade my truck as this has been my experience with the last 4 diesel pickups that I have owned and this is the most crucial thing that people forget when they look into cost as they have no experience with this and it is somewhat of a leap of faith. In my area (very hilly) a cousin with a 2012 hemi is getting 325 miles to a tank full and I am getting 602. Does not take long to pay it back.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, that's how i am looking at this as well. i'm having a hard time understanding the logic that going diesel isn't worth the "$4K premium" over the V6 Penstar and that "most people day to day driving are better off with the Penstar" as I've seen in numerous editorials. so just wondering if diesel prices here (in NorCal) are not inline with what they are elsewhere, because that's the only way i can see that statement making any sense. otherwise, math says the diesel is a much better value over time, especially if you are doing any towing...

·
Registered
83 Posts
here in the Northwest we have approximately $.30 difference between unleaded and diesel. That is about 10% more, and from what I am seeing from the guys here on the forum average appears to be about 50% better fuel economy regardless of towing or not. Seems like a no-brainer to me, the ED will be much lower TCO over the life of the truck. Also, since the interval between services is almost double and the service seems to cost about 25% more, you save there too. So I am not getting the claim that the ED is not worth it either. Taken all together, less fuel, less service costs and more resale makes me think that the guys spouting the "not worth it" line are not doing the evaluation properly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Only a long term trend on diesel being equal or even cheaper as it is in my area right now will the calculations be changed. It may be an anomaly or a trend. Too early to know.

·
Registered
127 Posts
so one thing i keep seeing in various forums and even in reviews, is that TCO (cost of ownership) for the diesel may not provide a break even point because of the price of diesel... which has me somewhat confused as locally diesel is selling for .05 a gallon more than unleaded. so is that an anomaly? i know there was a period diesel was more but that seems to have not been true for a while now. so almost 50% better MPG compared to just about any gas V6/V8 for .05/gallon more? not seeing how this is not a good value, even for $2800-$4K (hemi/penstar), over 5-7 years + potential higher resale, what is it that has people saying there's no 'payback' for going with the ED?

Here's my first fill up at the big boys pump! Regular gas was 3.899 today, only .20 more for the diesel. Went 436 miles on first tank which included a bunch of hard take offs and breaking in, hammering on it driving. My simple math why I choose the Ecodiesel:

Hemi 14-15 MPG with everyday driving
Ecodiesel first tank 22 MPG
Diesel was +$4.00 more this fill up
Hemi would have cost $35.00 to go the same distance
22000 miles a year using the figures above saves me $1628.00 in the first year
First fill-up.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not only do you get better mpg, but you also lower your emissions by about 25% compared to a 3.0 gas engine. To me that's worth it alone. Everything else is a huge bonus. I hope to run this engine well past the life of a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Diesel in my area is $0.20 to $0.60 higher than 87 octane.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Diesel here in lower NY State/South Western, CT is the same as high octane at $4.29 as of this week. It's been steadily dropping. 2 weeks ago it was 20 cents more. Hoping to see it fall further for when the truck gets here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i just filled up with B20 biodiesel yesterday for $4.06/gal which was a couple cents cheaper than 87 octane gas. Regular diesel was the same price as 87 octane. This is in the San Francisco Bay Area.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Diesel here in southern ontario is about 4-5cents/liters cheaper now (than regular gasoline)

·
Registered
346 Posts
$3.71/gal diesel, 87 octane gas about $3.35/gal here in SE AZ. Tucson prices are always about 5-10 less/gal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts