RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everyone has read posts where Hemi owners attempt to put the beat-down on the Ecodiesel by asserting that "diesel costs 30% more than gas." Back when I towed with gas I towed with mid-grade, so that's my reference. I used the Sirius Travel Link feature to find me some cheap diesel this morning. It told me that the cheapest diesel was only 4 cents more expensive then the cheapest mid-grade gas. That's a delta of less than 1%. As usual tho, the range in diesel prices was ~35cents. It pays to shop around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where I am in New Hampshire currently the price of regular is $3.65. The stations I pass on my commute are $3.99 a gallon for Diesel, but I have seen $3.74 for diesel at one station nearby. Definitely pays to shop around.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In joplin mo petro, pilot, and luvs on 44 are all $3.75 a gallon in wyandotte at Turtle stop its $3.55 per gallon on diesel (Native American truck stop) they are only 20 miles apart so it definitely helps to shop around. And I'm sure gas can be 30% cheaper there is a lot of E-85 that's cheaper out there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Their argument doesn't hold water or diesel in this case. With the type of driving I do, my 2008 Hemi would get at best 15mpg (more like 14.5 most of the time and worse in the winter). Figure a 30% increase on that 15mpg for 19.5mpg. With my limited driving so far I have not gotten less than 21.5mpg in my ED. As said earlier, if you shop around a little (at least in my area) you can get pretty close to the same price of regular gasoline. Best diesel price is $3.85 in SE Michigan

·
Registered
438 Posts
In joplin mo petro, pilot, and luvs on 44 are all $3.75 a gallon in wyandotte at Turtle stop its $3.55 per gallon on diesel (Native American truck stop) they are only 20 miles apart so it definitely helps to shop around. And I'm sure gas can be 30% cheaper there is a lot of E-85 that's cheaper out there.
E85 is about 30% less efficient than gasoline.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Up north, it depends on when a check is made. During the winter when I was researching if I was going to buy diesel or not - the spread for me was 10 to 15 cents difference. Now that we are getting closer to summer, that spread has dropped to a cent difference - if at all.

Actually the car I traded in ran High Test - so I am actually going to save 10 to 15 cents per fill up - but that will restore itself when Winter roles back around.

But as you mentioned those who do the comparison - and love their Hemi's - tend to be a little biased. When numbers are actually crunched, the diesel will come out ahead everytime - for fuel economy. And that is not to rag on Hemi owners - it is a sweet, excellent sounding engine. I liked it so much I amost bought the company (not really - more like a hemi truck :p).

However simply saying Hemi is the best, and Diesel is not - is simplistic and wrong. Do your research - look at the numbers - and make an informed decision. That way you should get the best engine for what you want.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not really sure when they do the switch. My first diesel and all that. From what I can tell we get summer blend end of March - based on that I would guess we switch over end of October - temp ranges would be roughly the same. I will pay attention this year to diesel prices - going to guess when I see the price go up that switch over has occured.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
To take this all a step further, I also think of the time I spend at the pumps. I know what my value per hour is, and I ask myself - gas (more frequent stops for fuel) v. diesel (less frequent due to greater range). Now, if I apply my high-value time to something which nets a return for me, the difference is cost between gasoline and diesel fuel is irrelevant, as one hour of my time (say consulting) can easily return $400. Over the course of a month, if I stop for fuel even two times less driving my diesel, I can save maybe 15 minutes...let's call it 10 minutes. $400\60 = $6.67 per minute of my time. Driving diesel potentially let's me net over $60 more a month in those 10 minutes of my time not spent pumping fuel. That's the draw a diesel for me...that and the sound. :)

To be clear here, I don't often consult these days, but I do think this way. When I do consult, that's my rate, and I usually turn down 2 or three clients a month (or send them to friends).

If you based this on my actual hourly rate from work, the numbers are obviously less, but still come out in my favor. Thank you Rudolph Diesel. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really sure when they do the switch. My first diesel and all that. From what I can tell we get summer blend end of March - based on that I would guess we switch over end of October - temp ranges would be roughly the same. I will pay attention this year to diesel prices - going to guess when I see the price go up that switch over has occured.
I was teasing you re. the on-set of Winter up there. I'm about 90min N of Florida. We refer to Winter as January. Sometimes you have to wear a jacket in Feb also.

To take this all a step further, I also think of the time I spend at the pumps. I know what my value per hour is, and I ask myself - gas (more frequent stops for fuel) v. diesel (less frequent due to greater range). Now, if I apply my high-value time to something which nets a return for me, the difference is cost between gasoline and diesel fuel is irrelevant, as one hour of my time (say consulting) can easily return $400. Over the course of a month, if I stop for fuel even two times less driving my diesel, I can save maybe 15 minutes...let's call it 10 minutes. $400\60 = $6.67 per minute of my time. Driving diesel potentially let's me net over $60 more a month in those 10 minutes of my time not spent pumping fuel. That's the draw a diesel for me...that and the sound. :)
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-accessories/672-aux-fuel-tank-thread.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is $4.29 here in my part of PA and 87 gas is $3.85. Gotta love the Republican Governor who pledged not raise taxes and then raised the gas tax.

·
Registered
360 Posts
At my local Exxon station in the Houston area, regular no lead is $3.39/gallon with diesel at $3.59. Diesel has not moved in the past 4 months. I have been paying close attention to its price since I first started seriously contemplating an ED. That is 5.9%. Very small for the gas mileage gain on the ED. The hemi owners can ----- me.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Right now the trend here is for gas to lower in price but diesel is staying the same.

Just a week ago the difference was as little as 20 cents. Now it's 40 cents or more as the gas has dropped.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Regular gas is 7 cents/leter more than Diesel up here. or approx 28cents/ gallon give or take. When I did some rough calculations I saved approx. $30 bucks on my drive Tuesday of this week when compared to my 2012 hemi with identical tires and rear end.:rolleyes: I loved my Hemi but love my money more. ED- 9.8l/100km for 353km @ $1.37/L= $ 47.39 Hemi- 15.6l/100km for 353km @$1.42/L= $78.20 difference of $30.81

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
273 Posts
85 octane? Geeze, I don't know that I've ever seen gas which such low octane #'s. Might be more fair to compare the diesel to 89. 91 if towing. Around here top grade is 93.
Another "feature" of living at 4,200 ft elevation. Something about less relative air pressure at higher altitudes and the compression at TDC...........don't understand the specifics. Having lived most of my life on the east coast at sea level, the 85 octane rating performs just like 87 at sea level in my experience. Our grades are typically ......Low=85......Mid=87..........High=89............and sometimes High/Super is found at 90 or 91.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts