RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ... Here is my story. I bought my Lonestar packaged ED from Ancira in San Antonio on May 4th. On May 24th with just under 2400 miles in the truck the CEL came on. On May 25th it went off only to come back only 27th. I dropped off my truck on May 27th with just under 2520 miles. ... I didn't get it back till June 26th and after 187 miles the CEL light is back on. The dealership seems agreeable to repurchasing the truck and letting me buy another one but I don't know how this process should work. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Take the new truck! Especially if it available now! Sometimes you just get a lemon.... not everyone is going to be perfect off the line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Take the new truck! Especially if it available now! Sometimes you just get a lemon.... not everyone is going to be perfect off the line.
I would take the new truck and you should get at least everything option wise your current truck has and maybe ask for some extra's like extended warranty for your trouble. Make them order you a 15, I would also write a nice, polite letter to Chrysler if you are not getting everything you want and make sure they give you a loaner vehicle until this is resolved. Just remain polite and courteous throughout the process and usually you'll get treated really well in these situations.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So ... Here is my story. I bought my Lonestar packaged ED from Ancira in San Antonio on May 4th. On May 24th with just under 2400 miles in the truck the CEL came on. On May 25th it went off only to come back only 27th. I dropped off my truck on May 27th with just under 2520 miles. ... I didn't get it back till June 26th and after 187 miles the CEL light is back on. The dealership seems agreeable to repurchasing the truck and letting me buy another one but I don't know how this process should work. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks
Am I reading this right? The dealer had the truck for a month and couldn't fix it? What did they do all that time? Need more information. Replacing a truck is a major bummer but it happens to a small fraction of new vehicles of all brands.

In most states including Texas 30 days triggers the lemon law. The dealer may have to buy back the truck at the original purchase price including all charges, fees and taxes. Ram may have to replace it with a similar model. It sounds like your dealer is being proactive and offering to replace the truck with minimum hassle for you, but be sure to clarify the dealer's intentions and to know your legal rights.

Although the problems here and in a few other posts do not necessarily have anything to do with the diesel, they do show that some dealers cannot deal with the highly complex systems in these trucks. That is troublesome and makes me wonder if Ram has adequate QA at the factory and tech support for the dealers. Early on every EcoDiesel off the line was thoroughly inspected but now it seems like problems are popping up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Most lemon laws allow the dealer/mfg to collect some charge per mile from when the problem was first reported, and deduct that amount from the settlement. In other words, they don't let you have to miles on it for free. It really depends at that point on the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I apologize for not updating this sooner. Here is an update... It may get lengthy so I apologize in advance. After returning the truck to the dealer on/about July 2 and having a warm though civil conversation to a sales manager and service manager I left my truck for more repairs. After a week of no significant updates and only 1-2 calls I called the dealership and asked to speak to the GM. I explained what is going on and his exact question was, "Okay, so what would you like from me?" Somehow ... I kept cool and said, well, an update on my truck would be a start and second for you to call whomever you have to in order to get the thing replaced. It has far exceeded the 30 day rule for qualifying as a Lemon and I'm trying really hard to work with your dealership and not jump straight to Lemon Law and arbitration because right now, y'all aint got a leg to stand on. I received a call from the service manager within the hour and he updated me on the fact that Chrysler's Star team had become involved and were requesting they replace the same part it took a month to replace the first time. After the part arrived and it was swapped, the dealership did a new road test and checked for the codes (unfortunately I don't know the code numbers). I was told the codes were showing again but no check engine light. (this is normal on new vehicles which have advanced electronics. They are designed to "self heal" and if it can't adjust on it's own, then throw a light. That is why if you have a flashing check engine light... pull over immediately. The issue is catastrophic to the vehicle. .... Back to the story.I said okay, so what's next? He informed me that a master engineer from Chrysler was now going to be involved and that the dealership felt it was an ECM failure causing the problem. .... No way three of the same valves were defective in my truck. ... So ... I agree to be patient and wait for a follow up. After a week, Chrysler then requested the dealership load test the wiring in the engine to make sure the wiring was good. After doing so, the diagnostic report was sent to the factory and we waited for them o return with a go/no go on the numbers. That brings us to today.

Today, I call at 545pm because they close the service department at 6 and I had not received an update. I eventually get updated by the sales manager who is involved that service was told they could no order an ECM (because its supposedly a restricted part and needed authorization that Chrysler was reluctant to provide) and that it would arrive Wednesday and the truck would not be available until Friday at the earliest. Astounded at such lack of concern that the truck is clearly a lemon according to the law and that I have provided prepared copies of a letter to send notifying them of my intent to invoke the Lemon Law and go to arbitration, I simply asked Why? He said he did not know and I hung up the phone after letting him know we would be in touch. After a few minutes to cool down I called back and let him know I would be there in a few minutes to have a chat. Once I arrived I spoke again to the sales manager and service manager and informed them that either Chrysler authorizes the buy-back or I would be filing the now open/close case with DOT and invoking the Lemon Law. I asked them how they would feel and if they would have been so patient in this situation. I also asked how familiar they were with the Lemon Law. The sales manager said not very and the service manager said he's seen it happen before. So I further asked if they understood what it means when a regulation or law states the word "shall" and follows with a directive? They said no... and I proceeded to explain it means that whatever comes next is a MUST. You don't get to question it. It's not if you feel like it. It's directing a cause/effect statement. Because x, you shall y action. And that according to the law, "cited..." it states you shall replace the vehicle or give me the money back and Ill go to the other dealerships in town with ecodiesels accepting orders and buy one there. I proceeded to explain I believe I have been more than fair and patient in this situation and it is ridiculous that after having purchased the vehicle 71 days ago, it hasn't been in my possession for longer than 2 1/2 weeks at a time and a total of 30 days! Clearly this is ridiculous and that even if they were to return the vehicle after swapping the ECM it did not negate the fact it is a lemon according to the letter of Texas Law and asked what they think I should do if so much as a button fell off the steering wheel after I got it back? I asked them how they think they would handle the situation and after they laughing said not as patient as you, I said then for reasons I don't even know I am trying to give you the chance to keep a customer, keep a truck sale, a warranty sale, etc. by swapping out the truck.
We know, if I go to DOT and file a Lemon Law suit that it removes the dealer. This isn't a get out of jail free for you. You lose the sale, the service, a customer, and when Chrysler directs you to replace/repair the vehicle after the attorney's talk it comes out of your service time and you likely will lose the reimbursement for hours spent that you are getting now. The reason Lemon Laws exist is to protect me. The customer from you, the dealer. You are the representative of Chrysler to me. ad by invoking Lemon Law I involve DOT and attorneys because I feel you have ceased to uphold your end of the manufacturer warranty and the 8 yr/120k warranty I purchased. It also allows me to move beyond simply asking to replace teh vehicle and seek reimbursement for the time lost dealing with this, the loss of use of the vehicle I am paying for, the payments I have made, the increased fuel expenses and then whatever else some clever attorney feels I should ask for. And at this point with the history on the vehicle which you have in your hands and the records I have of receipts, phone bills, and summaries of our discussions, no judge, jury, or arbitrator in their right mind will rule against my position. Also regarding the statement of the new parts coming in and Chrysler not wanting to authorize other parts for swap because they felt it was the same valve three times I told the service manager I should be buying lottery tickets with those kinds of odds. ... Look I get it, parts fail and things break. That's why there is a warranty. But my truck doesn't even have 3500 miles on it. So lets do some quick estimation. The first 'lucky' draw was the initial part the truck shipped with. Then the second one... and stretching the odds out quite a ways was the second part in the truck now throwing the same codes as the first. So Chrysler sent you a replacement making part number three and all three are bad and all three happened to come to me? Man I should be living the high life on lottery tickets with odds like that!!! Seriously though, there are going to be issues with new models. Hell there are issues with the 1500's that aren't ED and they have been out for several years!!! For example the known issues with the air suspension draining batteries, failing to inflate, failing to deflate, failing to level a vehicle properly, etc. ... But even with the well documented and known issues the number of air suspensions on a RAM 1500 that fail vs those that go out the door makes the odds that me, one guy in the middle of Texas draws three completely screwed systems. So please.... stop the excuses, realize I've been extraordinarily patient and fair and do the right thing by swapping the truck. Also, given the nature of my case the part should have been sent overnight and as soon as it arrives in the dealership, the service department should immediately wrap up existing in progress work and jump my tuck up to the bay to be fixed. Not some excuse that the part will be sent two day air and still maybe two days later ... I might get the truck back. ... Sorry, but given how patient I've been, I think I'm justified in calling BS on that, and saying it is unacceptable.

After letting this set in, the service manager concluded the conversation by gathering some additional information from me regarding the options I want on a replacement vehicle and stated he would be putting in for a MSRP swap, reimbursement for the payments I have made to date, and reimbursement for fuel costs etc with Chrysler before going home tonight and would call the DM in the morning to work to push everything through for me. I was told by the sales manager and the Service manager that Chrysler stopped taking orders for the ED and I said that isnt true. I spoke with two other dealerships here in San Antonio willing and able to get me what I want in a truck and that even this dealership was getting new trucks in every week. One dealership I spoke with had two on the lot and one in prep that had just come off the trucks Saturday. I also stated that given my circumstances, the very same absentee DM who was supposedly informed three times already of my issue could get a truck to my specs routed from the factory as a result of my situation. I know I must be crazy because I even went so far as to explain at this point I will wait for the order to come in as much as 90 days or more just because I really want an ED and the one I bought just happened to be a lemon. So, Tomorrow I should know more.

Thanks for the support and for reading. Sorry for the length but it's been a really bad experience. Especially for being my first mopar vehicle ever. :/

·
Registered
381 Posts
All I can say is that you were a lot more patient than I would have been, and they had better be throwing in some extra options for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Bones, while I very much sympathize with your situation, I am glad you posted this so we all could review the Lemon Law and how to handle it.....most of us have never had to do so........your post made me think about what if I had to use it.......again, I'm sorry for what you are going thru, but certainly learned lots!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That post rivals Bring Gracie Home for # of words . Hope u get what u want. Did your research on lemon law prior too so kudos for having your ducks in a row

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, what a read. Good luck with the next one. If you happen to have the same troubles with the new truck, then you really do need to run as fast as you can and buy some lottery tickets!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the support. I did get another update today. Here is an excerpt from the email string today.

"Well, as you and I suspected locating a truck is the issue. I talked to the factory rep. today and the MSRP swap is not a problem. David and Mike in the sales department are telling me the 2014 ordering is closed and the 2015 ordering will be opened in 30 days.

I need to find out what we are going to do for the next 30-60 days waiting on an ordered truck to come in. Our factory rep. will have that answer for me tomorrow morning."

I am excited that we are finally getting somewhere. I did reply stating that I would not mind waiting for a 2015. As far as options, there a couple of additions which are minimal in cost and so far it would appear there are no issues in getting the replacement with them. I have sent a build sheet for what I want and if they can find it, I'm sure they will get it. If not, then I believe we will be waiting for a 2015 and once the ordering opens I will select all my options. Also, I requested all the service agreements to include the included oil changes be honored with the new vehicle.

I don't have an affirmative yet on getting the payments I have made on the 2014 back. I have to re-read the text of the law to see if its an entitlement or something negotiable.

@cordkrisr.... I certainly respect your position regarding that. Truthfully, it could have happened buying from Boerne, IPAC or North Star. I believe Lone Star Dodge is the one that runs the ads on TV for great prices but have not ever shopped them. I have dealt with IPAC and Boerne and IMO the sales process at Ancira is not as pressuring. Things I also consider when looking at a dealership after owning so many vehicles is their service hours, whether they usually offer a loaner when dropping off and picking up same day, how they do rentals for overnight service,etc.... Also remember just a few years ago that the state stepped in regarding the financial situation at San Antonio Dodge and them not paying off loans on trade ins. I do not know if they have straightened everything out and I am also not sure I would want the risk.

More updates as they come. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Glad to hear they seem to be working with now...sucks you had to go through what you did to get to this point though... Unfortunately that seems to be the way you have to do things now adays...

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will be interesting to see what they do with the 15. Hopefully they will put a stop to some of the CEL/sensor issues some are having.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So 2015 orders open in a month and we still don't have any information on changes?

i wouldn't be surprised to see updates announce early august, orders to start late august and first deliveries to be around Thanksgiving. Changes should be minor at best. Maybe a new color or two and possibly a change in the interior? The big redesign is 2017 I believe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts