RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't good: Donlen's Chrysler Truck Production Update for the Ram 1500 diesel initial production just changed to May 1. It was March 10 and has been pushed back several times since last year. I don't know what this means for existing orders but it sure isn't comforting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man I hope not, we have a trip planned and it depends on us getting our truck in June

·
Registered
366 Posts
Man I hope not, we have a trip planned and it depends on us getting our truck in June
Most people don't know ahead of time, but some dealers will let you work in a "loaner" vehicle if your order gets delayed. Usually has to be done during the negotiation process, but it's actually fairly common when the dealer already has a buyer for the trade-in vehicle or when the customer has a deadline to turn in a lease vehicle. If you're getting close to crunch time, start sending them E-mails to get the ball rolling on whether or not they will lend you a vehicle for the trip. As a salesman, we once sent customers in a Dodge Avenger from Ottawa down to the U.S. for 3 weeks. It's the kind of thing you can ask for but it's at the dealer's discretion. Give it a good honest try, and act really pissed off if you start to get fairly close to the deadline.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This isn't good: Donlen's Chrysler Truck Production Update for the Ram 1500 diesel initial production just changed to May 1. It was March 10 and has been pushed back several times since last year. I don't know what this means for existing orders but it sure isn't comforting.
I just spoke with my dealer (my order was one of the first ones placed in Canada on Dec 23rd). He said none of the EcoDiesels have been built yet. He has no idea what the delay is. In January, my truck was at D1 status with an estimated build date of Jan 23rd ... now it has been rolled back to a C status which means not even thinking about scheduling it yet.

Something is just not right ...

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just spoke with my dealer (my order was one of the first ones placed in Canada on Dec 23rd). He said none of the EcoDiesels have been built yet. He has no idea what the delay is. In January, my truck was at D1 status with an estimated build date of Jan 23rd ... now it has been rolled back to a C status which means not even thinking about scheduling it yet.

Something is just not right ...
Because I just had a panic attack, I called my dealer. I have a VIN number for my truck which is in C status, and they have a delivery date for the truck ahead of me(which has been pulled from holding for delivery) of Feb 23rd. If that truck shows up on time, all appears to be well.

...mind you I'm Canadian as well and our ordering started sooner...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I just call the 1-800 number that came with my order conformation email. I gave her my 8 digit vin # and she put me on hold to find out if any ECO diesel orders have been delayed .She assured me that my 2-9-14 order is scheduled to be put into production soon. They have NO production delays. Diesel dave

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just call the 1-800 number that came with my order conformation email. I gave her my 8 digit vin # and she put me on hold to find out if any ECO diesel orders have been delayed .She assured me that my 2-9-14 order is scheduled to be put into production soon. They have NO production delays. Diesel dave
whats the 1-800 number?

·
Registered
366 Posts
sorry its 1-866-726-4636
Thanks Dave! I called them up and it wasn't overly informative. They said that most vehicles in the C status are usually built within 30 days of reaching this condition. Well, "most" and "usually" are a little disheartening. I'm going to keep pestering my dealer about the truck right ahead of me

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have NO production delays...
... that Customer Service knows about. The production status changes noted by the Canadians, not to mention the Donlen dates, indicate that there have been delays. The question in why? I guess that just because we are spending $40k or more does not entitle us to a straight answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Chrysler Group Reports Full-Year 2012 Net Income of $1.7 Billion"

Nope :cool:

... that Customer Service knows about. The production status changes noted by the Canadians, not to mention the Donlen dates, indicate that there have been delays. The question in why? I guess that just because we are spending $40k or more does not entitle us to a straight answer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ram has botched the roll out of this truck badly..... may as well call a 900 number, at least get a grin.....

How can Ram, in marketing the self proclaimed "game changer", have screwed this up...

1 of 2 things;
1) either they knew there would be delays, for whatever reason, and elected not to be forthright with the public.

2) they did not know about the delays, and are sweeping it under the rug.....

not good fellows... not good at all...... wish to heck Ford would have put the 3.2 inline 5 in the F150. at least to give the public another half ton diesel option.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Production has been delayed until May now!

Come on Ram, at least issue a press release with the reason(s).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Fell bad for all you fellows who placed your orders. As Sheep said, you would think Ram would owe it to the public to explain the delays.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I suspect at least a portion of those 8,000 units have been pre-sold over the 400 units the article mentions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in FL and so does Captainmal (another user on this forum) he was nice enough to Private message me the person who ordered his ED. I have spoken to his sales rep a couple times and the last time i spoke to him he was telling me that the South East alone had 8000 ish orders for customers and they were not even allowed to order stock vehicles. This was last Friday he told me about this so i may be misquoting numbers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This is what the article actually said:
"DETROIT -- Chrysler Group dealers ordered more than 8,000 diesel-powered Ram 1500 pickups in the first weekend that they could do so -- a figure that represents nearly half of the light-duty pickup's normal monthly production.

Included in the orders placed between Feb. 7 and 10 were more than 400 diesel-powered half-ton pickups that had already been sold to customers."

They placed the customer orders. People knew from the beginning this truck would be popular, so it makes perfect sense for the dealers to order every unit they can get their hands on. An in-stock unit is usually the best option to make a deal with from a dealer's point of view. As for "taking production for themselves"...they ordered the units for customers that were ordered at the time. If you look at stock on a Hemi, there's dozens at dealerships. When you look at the Ecodiesel, there will be 1-2 tops. They aren't going to wait for undecided customers to "see how things go" and make up their mind. They have to order units for themselves and as it stands they already ordered considerably less than they would have liked to.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts