RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Versus hiring a locksmith or dealer, has anyone programmed their own key fobs (fobik)?

I called a couple of locksmiths that want ~$125 per key for programming (no key included...I provide). I didn't even bother calling the dealer.

But I see you can buy various programmers online, as long as you figure out your truck PIN (which seems to have another tool for figuring that out).

·
Registered
481 Posts
I plan on trying but still need my pin.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
You can always try the AlfaOBD app for $49. It looks to be packed with features, as well as showing all the vehicle's embedded info. PIN might be in there as well.

I just glanced at the Demo version of the app and noticed you can reset the PIN to 0000 for fleet vehicles, and saw an option to 'Program ignition FOBIKs'.
'

Reactions: EcoD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AlfaOBD app looks extremely interesting.....even if I wasn't programming a key fob. Looks like a "must have" for any FCA vehicle.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The AlfaOBD app looks extremely interesting.....even if I wasn't programming a key fob. Looks like a "must have" for any FCA vehicle.

I agree! The PIN must be obtained from the Dealer. The software is not capable of extracting it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Interesting. When I had my VW TDI, this topic came up too. Almost exactly the same. You needed the PIN, etc. and someone said you could do it yourself. I bought a FOB, had it cut and then tried to program it. Didn't work. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it to work. If you do this, be prepared and have a way to return the key if it doesn't work. If Ric45 got it to work that's awesome. I'd be interested in hearing from other people who got it to work. On the link provided, there are the same issues as the VW TDI instructions had too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes you can do it yourself. I've done it a couple times.... last time was a few weeks ago. You need two working fobs. I'm looking for the youtube vid that tells you how and I'll post it as soon as I find it.

Rick

https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123253

This is the procedure I used. I thought I saw a vid...maybe not.
I bet most of the people who are looking to program a new fob, only have 1, like me. I had searched and found the way to do it, if you have 2. used truck, 1 fob.......Will likely source one, and hit up a local locksmith

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I bought my 2016 Ram it came with one key and the deal included the (non FCA) dealership reimbursing me for a second key. I figured it would be easier to get it done at a local locksmith. When I went to get it done they told me I needed the code from FCA and they could order a key fob and program it. I got the code from the dealer and went back to the locksmith and was then told they couldn’t do it. The Tech explained that they could program a key fob, but they had had issues with them not functioning properly, and he recommended I go back and get it done at the dealer.
That’s my experience, but as they say, YMMV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update on this: I programmed two new FOBs (Fobik) with AlphaOBD….worked great. Well worth the $49 app price, and now I can tweak other stuff on the truck if I want. I got the PIN for my truck from my local dealer parts desk, no cost. They just need to verify that you are the owner.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Just a quick update on this: I programmed two new FOBs (Fobik) with AlphaOBD….worked great. Well worth the $49 app price, and now I can tweak other stuff on the truck if I want. I got the PIN for my truck from my local dealer parts desk, no cost. They just need to verify that you are the owner.
Thank you for reporting back on this, glad it worked out. I'm going to buy the app soon.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good job. Did you need the PIN to program the fobs with the AlfaOBD?
Should have read the whole thread before asking, apparently the PIN is needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Always remember when you buy a new vehicle to ask/make the dealer provide a third key fob thingy.

This last tine I had no trouble getting it done. The truck before I threatened to not buy the darn thing unless they made me another key. Just because I rarely use it still makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I tried to, but I keep getting an error that says Failed. Security Access Denied. Used the dealer provided code, too. Any thoughts?

Yep, I'm resurrecting an old thread. Sorry fellas!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Is there a procedure for a 2015 Ram with the push button start as well?
I have one key fob that acts up intermittently.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Hello Steve ;)____ _____ _ _____ first important move , get you key fob code from dealer .
you can write it on your hand like the guy in the video did...:rolleyes:
programming after market key fobs
-------------------------------------

How To :

link to where to buy key fob tcheap :
https://www.amazon.com/REMOTE-DODGE-PICKUP-KEYLESS-LANYARD/dp/B075Q249ZJ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=316PV4OFJVWD9&keywords=ram+1500+key+fob&qid=1552614051&s=automotive&sprefix=ram+1500+key,automotive,208&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=httpswwwy0837-20&linkId=12b2ba12b08aa89cd24f4564bfa7ee26&language=en_US

.................................................. ..
outil de programmation X-431 :
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FHLYRY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=httpswwwy0837-20&linkId=eafe192e69a75322e2f2656e51b67336&language=en_US

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks brother but wrong fobs.
Mine are way different and do not get inserted anywhere.
Laramie Ltd type.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just providing a quick update on this thread. I wanted some spare keys for my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic EcoDiesel, so I decided to roll the dice and give it a go.
  • For getting my pin, I used the Pin Puller app, which required a $15 credit purchase to unlock one vehicle, but allowed me to get my Pin without having to ask the dealer. (there is a thread on that app on the ram forum)
  • Then I used AlfaODB to program the 2 keys I purchased on Amazon (page 225 on the massive AlfaODB thread on ram forum). The first time it gave me an error and I thought it wasn't going to work, but I shut it off, waited for 5 minutes, and then tried again and got success. Both keys now work for lock/unlock/remote start/regular start.
I ended up with $50 in 2 new keys, counting the $15 for the PIN. I always like to have spares so for me it was money well spent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts