RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used SFT as well.They got the VIN/Injector codes programmed, but now the ECU is telling me there's no DEF fluid and I'm getting the service DEF see dealer message (truck won't start) Starts fine with the original, tuned ECU. I'm going to give KTM Bench a shot and see if I can clone the original ECU then flash it to the new ECU.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I’m pretty sure cloning the ecm is possible. I’m looking to get KTM bench soon to see if there’s a way to turn off the scr/def for a full delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not easy. You are dealing with hundreds of maps and dtc codes. Cloning an ECU is not bad. Properly turning off EGR, scr and def is hard on the edc 17

·
Registered
48 Posts
What rsmarsh said.... You would have to have an already programed ECU. Stock or otherwise THEN change the injector codes + VIN to match your truck.

For backup or copy of the program, AlfaOBD is not the tool.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
What may be a problem with AlfaOBD and the SFT route is that this only changes the "Current VIN". Will it be a big read flag when you take your truck in and the "Current" and "Original" VIN#'s do not match?

·
Registered
102 Posts
What may be a problem with AlfaOBD and the SFT route is that this only changes the "Current VIN". Will it be a big read flag when you take your truck in and the "Current" and "Original" VIN#'s do not match?
Not sure. Depends of if they are looking for it or not.

My comeback will be that the truck is from Canada and it broke down the day I bought it. Not sure what’s been done to it. And it’s my first trip to a dealer with it. I’m pleading ignorance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is not easy. You are dealing with hundreds of maps and dtc codes. Cloning an ECU is not bad. Properly turning off EGR, scr and def is hard on the edc 17
If we could find someone that actually has the GDE off-road tune and and get copy of the image, it would make things a lot easier to find the switches. DEF is actually disabled on my 2017 GDE tune, but it looks very different from the one that @wasaab received for his truck, so its difficult to do a comparision.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If we could find someone that actually has the GDE off-road tune and and get copy of the image, it would make things a lot easier to find the switches. DEF is actually disabled on my 2017 GDE tune, but it looks very different from the one that @wasaab received for his truck, so its difficult to do a comparision.
Probably different software revisions. Also, just because it looks different in hex doesn't mean it's different.

When the ECU file is written, I don't think it will write the same data to the same place every time. I think, just like a hard drive or ram in a computer, the chip decides on the fly where to put the file.

My guess is there is a map lookup table that gives memory addresses for the associated maps. That's the key. But at the same time, I'm taking a best guess here. Not an expert.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Where are the two different VIN's stored? Why is this just now an issue? Never heard of it before.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Where are the two different VIN's stored? Why is this just now an issue? Never heard of it before.
They are both stored in the EEPROM, and it appears the original is stored somewhere else in the ECM as well. In my experiments with trying to update the EEPROM with a new VIN, the VIN does not take and the original VIN gets reloaded from somewhere. I have managed to Re-VIN an ECM image to my truck once, but I have not been able to reproduce the results. In this one sucess, both the original and current VIN's were set and accepted to my truck VIN.

You can see the two VINs in AlfaOBD, just connect to the ECM, go to the "Battery", and "Read System ID". If you change via Chrysler tools it only changes the "current" VIN. I have acquired some of the maps for the EDC17C79 and there is actually a property in the FLASH that is a mileage limit for allowing the setting of the Original VIN. (This is set to 50km and, yes, I have tried increasing the value in flash, but it hasn't helped)

Whether or not it is an issue probably depends on your situation. The truck doesn't care what the original VIN is, but a dealer might.

281 - 293 of 293 Posts