RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

501 - 520 of 720 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,572 Posts
Where is that information coming from? They plug it in and out like turning a key on and off. Is it coming from there recorded database or the actual truck?

I‘m sure The reason they hook up is for making the check in process easy. The update or recall list is most likely just comparing the vin # against the database of open recalls or records For said vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
807 Posts
That’s what I assume. I asked a few of the service advisers. They aren’t that technical or advisors for that matter.

·
Registered
829 Posts
So what is the latest? I read through this post a week ago but can't remember - can you take an ECM (GDE tuned or not) from one truck and program it to work in another truck with alphaOBD? Assume the only changes are VIN and injector codes, as long as the ECMs are the same year?
Not trying to be a pain, but would like feedback on this soon if possible. Have to make some truck decisions tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@ patriot07
In Résumé :
2014 and 2015 do not have a DEF quality sensor in the DEF tank ,
so if you install a ECM from a 2016 and later on a 2014 or 2015 , the new ECM
will be looking from data sent by in-tank quality sensor and not receive it , that
will throw a code , SO , if you have a 2014 or 2015 , you must buy a used ECM
from similar model year .
--------------
after that , follow steps in post # 461
the step by step is in the PDF file .
***Let the truck come completely OFF , 2 or 3 minutes after programming before starting truck.
What if you have a 2016 truck? Can you run a 2014-2015 ecu with no errors?

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Heado , I don't know ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:unsure:
someone else might have tried it , it will be interesting to know .

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
What if you have a 2016 truck? Can you run a 2014-2015 ecu with no errors?
My guess is yes, but no proof lol. My truck is a '16, and not sure of the year of ECM I just picked up.

My theory is, you have the sensor but the '14-'15 ECM isn't looking for it. That shouldn't throw a code as there's no programming to throw the code. In reverse, if you're running a '14-'15 truck without the sensor and you have a '16+ ECM expecting a signal from the sensor, you get a code. Make sense?

·
Registered
298 Posts
AEM completed. Almost back to normal. Trans tune won’t load. Says the ECU part doesn’t match. ECU is the correct one, correct part number (same as before). TCM has the new AEM part number stuck in it and I am assuming that is the hold up. And suggestions on how to fix? Already disconnected the battery. Going to play with AlfaOBD next.

No update on parts to fix EGR recall.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My guess is yes, but no proof lol. My truck is a '16, and not sure of the year of ECM I just picked up.

My theory is, you have the sensor but the '14-'15 ECM isn't looking for it. That shouldn't throw a code as there's no programming to throw the code. In reverse, if you're running a '14-'15 truck without the sensor and you have a '16+ ECM expecting a signal from the sensor, you get a code. Make sense?
I concur with your analysis

·
Registered
807 Posts
AEM completed. Almost back to normal. Trans tune won’t load. Says the ECU part doesn’t match. ECU is the correct one, correct part number. BCM has the new AEM part number stuck in it and I am assuming that is the hold up. And suggestions on how to fix? Already disconnected the battery. Going to play with AlfaOBD next.

Thanks. Wasn’t holding my breath on that fix.

·
Administrator
8,712 Posts
AEM completed. Almost back to normal. Trans tune won’t load. Says the ECU part doesn’t match. ECU is the correct one, correct part number. BCM has the new AEM part number stuck in it and I am assuming that is the hold up. And suggestions on how to fix? Already disconnected the battery. Going to play with AlfaOBD next.

Take a look here:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
AEM completed. Almost back to normal. Trans tune won’t load. Says the ECU part doesn’t match. ECU is the correct one, correct part number (same as before). TCM has the new AEM part number stuck in it and I am assuming that is the hold up. And suggestions on how to fix? Already disconnected the battery. Going to play with AlfaOBD next.
Have you tried clearing the programmer with the PC software? Then reload the tune from the PC to the programmer, then to the truck.

501 - 520 of 720 Posts