RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

521 - 540 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you tried clearing the programmer with the PC software? Then reload the tune from the PC to the programmer, then to the truck.
Not yet. Waiting to see if I can get some feedback, don’t want to make anything worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have you tried clearing the programmer with the PC software? Then reload the tune from the PC to the programmer, then to the truck.
Not yet. Waiting to see if I can get some feedback, don’t want to make anything worse.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Will this AlfaOBD work with an older android tablet? or is it just for android phones?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I put a 14' ECU in my 16'. No MIL. Be advised I did a full clone, not just a VIN/injector code mod with Alpha.
Doesn't really apply as you turned the '14 ECM into a '16 ECM by cloning the '16 tune. We're talking keeping a '14-'15 tune in a '16+ truck.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,491 Posts
Will this AlfaOBD work with an older android tablet? or is it just for android phones?
If the tablet has Bluetooth and it is available for download from the PlayStore it should work.
I bought an Amazon Fire 7 tablet ($30 on sale, normally $50) and have AlfaOBD running on that. If you go the Fire tablet route, you want to side load Google Play onto the tablet. Instructions how to do this is all over the internet, just Google "install play store on fire 7 tablet"

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the tablet has Bluetooth and it is available for download from the PlayStore it should work.
I bought an Amazon Fire 7 tablet ($30 on sale, normally $50) and have AlfaOBD running on that. If you go the Fire tablet route, you want to side load Google Play onto the tablet. Instructions how to do this is all over the internet, just Google "install play store on fire 7 tablet"
Thanks Crash
I won an 8inch quad-core tablet about 3 years ago and never used it. It’s an Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Bluetooth and wi-fi and it came with Playstore. So I guess I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just tried to make a app for the software update at my local dealer and was told they have put the update on hold.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I bought a used spare to flash with the SFK Stage 2 tune to keep on the shelf for an eventual delete after all my warranties are gone. Hooked it up to the truck and was able to successfully change VIN and injector codes. It did have lots of CEL codes, so cleared them before cranking. Started and ran fine for a 20 mile test drive. This AlfaOBD app is a very versatile tool that goes deep into computers and modules. I think I like it.

Will upload the Stage 2 next and then place on the self for future reliability.

I bought the spare from a vendor that advertised on car-parts.com. I bought a 2015 to match my year model, so as to avoid the def sensor issue. The purchase price was $250 including shipping and came with a 30 day warranty. The VIN and injector process was very straight forward and easy. I highly recommend the Alfaobd app for everyone with an ED. Especially those wanting to program a spare.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
As of now, I would not recommend anyone following these directions. (attached PDF in the quoted post).

Those instructions include ,,,, reloading stock trans. tune to truck before dealer visit ,
then after dealer visit load new data in the installer / tool , and send to GDE for them to
change stuff , then they send you the final trans. tune to be loaded back to the truck ,
the impossible GDE involvement kind-a makes the whole file useless .......

·
Registered
298 Posts
Those instructions include ,,,, reloading stock trans. tune to truck before dealer visit ,
then after dealer visit load new data in the installer / tool , and send to GDE for them to
change stuff , then they send you the final trans. tune to be loaded back to the truck ,
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. Definitely return to stock before dealer visit. What I would not recommend is deleting the files from the tuner to pull a fresh copy from the truck.

May have taken one for the team last night, I wasn’t very happy when I posted that.

·
Administrator
8,718 Posts
Consider the file a warning to those who plan on getting the AEM and already have the GDE trans tune. It is important to understand the consequences.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
that warning was posted before by GDE , a few people did not go back to stock transmission tune
before going for AEM , and their tool / tuner was useless after that , and they needed to buy
another one after that "incident ".
------
I do not have the GDE transmission tune , but I was under the impression the tool
could hold a few different tunes in its memory , why delete a version when loading
stock version for dealer visit ???
when coming back home and reinstalling the tuned ECM , I figured people
who had the transmission tune would just reload transmission tune they had
that previously worked with their Tuned ECM .
I guess it's even more complicated than that .........I feel your pain tjkoen01 :mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum. I have a 2016 Ram 1500 ecodiesel with the GDE hot tune. I just purchased a new (used) ECU and want to program it with my VIN and injector codes so that I can go through the update process at the dealership. I will follow the instructions on this forum but am not sure what I need to purchase to accomplish this task. I assume there is a scanner that works best for this????? I have an adroid tablet that I can download the AlfaOBD software onto. I am a bit confused as to the whole hardware/software package needed. Thanks to all that have worked hard to figure this out. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Welcome to the site PaulK , step by step in post # 461 ,
and the " adapter " needed mentioned is : a MX or MX+ dongle , don't get the LX .
-----
link for image : OBDLink MX+ Professional OBD2 Scanner for iPhone, iPad, Android & Windows
----------------------------
see a lot of info on using AlfaOBD in here : see post # 6 in here:
----

521 - 540 of 720 Posts