RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

541 - 560 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Consider the file a warning to those who plan on getting the AEM and already have the GDE trans tune. It is important to understand the consequences.
Ouch, I feel ya! I had my trans + tune files updated after the AEM.
That being said, did not keep the stock ECU. Just completed setup of a stock one over the holidays. Tested and under the seat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
that warning was posted before by GDE , a few people did not go back to stock transmission tune
before going for AEM , and their tool / tuner was useless after that , and they needed to buy
another one after that "incident ".
------
I do not have the GDE transmission tune , but I was under the impression the tool
could hold a few different tunes in its memory , why delete a version when loading
stock version for dealer visit ???
when coming back home and reinstalling the tuned ECM , I figured people
who had the transmission tune would just reload transmission tune they had
that previously worked with their Tuned ECM .
I guess it's even more complicated than that .........I feel your pain tjkoen01 :mad:
That was my impression too, but that is not reality. I believe the problem is the TCM has the AEM part number for the ECU in it, and not the original part number that the tuner is looking for.

Sounds like the team in green will have something for us in 4 months or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,712 Posts
That was my impression too, but that is not reality. I believe the problem is the TCM has the AEM part number for the ECU in it, and not the original part number that the tuner is looking for.

Exactly. That's why GDE had provided the special instructions way back when the AEM first came out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A questions for the gurus: Can the OBDLinkMX+ and alphaobd app turn-off/disable some OBD codes? I use HPTuners for Corvettes, trucks, etc., and one of the most useful features is the ability to remove a hardware item - rear O2 sensors, for example - and turn off the ECU's DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that tests for that specific functionality. I'm thinking that this would allow unplugging the EGR valve connector without triggering a check engine light.

·
Registered
298 Posts
A questions for the gurus: Can the OBDLinkMX+ and alphaobd app turn-off/disable some OBD codes? I use HPTuners for Corvettes, trucks, etc., and one of the most useful features is the ability to remove a hardware item - rear O2 sensors, for example - and turn off the ECU's DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that tests for that specific functionality. I'm thinking that this would allow unplugging the EGR valve connector without triggering a check engine light.
Nope

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys...I'm an older guy with a disability and cannot do the ECU GDE Tune saving. I have the Hot Tune with Brakes and not the Transmission tune. Is there any hope for someone like me to save their tune? Can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the site PaulK , step by step in post # 461 ,
and the " adapter " needed mentioned is : a MX or MX+ dongle , don't get the LX .
-----
link for image : OBDLink MX+ Professional OBD2 Scanner for iPhone, iPad, Android & Windows
----------------------------
see a lot of info on using AlfaOBD in here : see post # 6 in here:
---- View attachment 84897 View attachment 84898
That's funny you say don't get the LX because this is the first time I heard of this. I used a 2015 ECU donor for a 2016 truck with no error lights on the dash of the truck and had the truck updated with the V-08 software. They are now putting the update sticker under the hood and not on the ECU as before. The donor ECU already had the V-08 on it and there was no issues. It did take 4 hours for the update to complete though, without the complementary truck wash. This was all done with the LX adapter I had from a previous project.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
good for you Heado , the LX was said to give access to only half of the stuff that alfaOBD
can configure , very good bit of info that it will work fine if you only want to change a ECM
for dealer visits , Vin and injector codes Thanks .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
I had the LX when I first started messing with this stuff. I couldn't see my Regen or soot levels, among other things, and it kept giving me errors or would cause the truck to thorw communication codes. I picked up the mx+ and it works so much better and I can see more options now. I wouldn't bother with the LX if you haven't purchased one already and I would say the mx+ is a worthy upgrade if you have the LX.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does 2WD versus 4WD matter for a GDE-tuned ECM? I am selling my GDE ECM from a 2WD ED and the potential buyer has 4WD. Is it going to work ok in his truck?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does 2WD versus 4WD matter for a GDE-tuned ECM? I am selling my GDE ECM from a 2WD ED and the potential buyer has 4WD. Is it going to work ok in his truck?
It should work okay. When I was experimenting with my wife's jeep, I guess the original ECM was from a 4x4. It would run fine, but it kept giving a throwing a code that the ECM had lost communication with the transfer case. (It's been a little while so this might not be entirely accurate, but it was along those lines.) I played around with some settings in AlfaOBD and it eventually went away, but I can't attribute the correction to any one thing. It's been a while since I was looking at it, but I don't believe there is anything in the AlfaOBD settings correlates the ECM with the vehicles drive type. (Pretty sure all of the settings are in the BCM)

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I use a cheap Veepak dongle from Amazon, works great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't hold your breath. I'm sure they will try to resurrect their business - but the main appeal to many ED owners was that their tune helped engine longevity by cheating emissions - not the least of which was shutting down the EGR completely. Yes, I would expect to see some tunes from them - perhaps with some modest HP/TQ improvements - but everything they do now will have to be emissions compliant and will be closely scrutinized given their past history with EPA.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't hold your breath. I'm sure they will try to resurrect their business - but the main appeal to many ED owners was that their tune helped engine longevity by cheating emissions - not the least of which was shutting down the EGR completely. Yes, I would expect to see some tunes from them - perhaps with some modest HP/TQ improvements - but everything they do now will have to be emissions compliant and will be closely scrutinized given their past history with EPA.
I am fully aware. I am more interested in getting my trans tune back which I think would be easier for them to accomplish.

·
Registered
34 Posts
New member here but I'm fairly active over at Jeep Garage (MBDiesel). Have a 2015 Grand Cherokee with GDE. I decided to pick up a used ECU and try AlfaOBD once I heard the update was supposed to fix the VIN write function. I found an ECU at a local used parts dealer on car-part.com and drove over to pick it up. It came out of a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit.

I wrote the injector codes and VIN and it started right up. Drove around the block a few times, and other than the lethargic stock tune, it drove fine with no check engine light or anything.

I saw a function in AlfaOBD to extend the DEF no-start deadline by 60 miles. Look under ENGINE, make sure you select "Diesel Bosch EDC17C49 >MY2013". There's a function in there called "SCR Extend Mileage W Active Fault". Haven't tried it to see if it works, but it's worth a try.
Has anyone done this more than once with success? I did the extend by 60 miles and it worked, but I when I try to redo the extend, after the 60 is up, I can't get it to give me another 60 miles. I am not sure if I am not doing something correct, or if it is a one and done kind of a thing.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am fully aware. I am more interested in getting my trans tune back which I think would be easier for them to accomplish.
Perhaps a better possibility. I think the lethargic cold-start drive-ability post-tune is downright dangerous. The scary part is trying to discern how much of that part of the programming was because of emissions, and how much was just FCA trying to mitigate bottom-end failures which they seem to have attributed to low RPM, high torque demand when cold scenarios.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Guys...I'm an older guy with a disability and cannot do the ECU GDE Tune saving. I have the Hot Tune with Brakes and not the Transmission tune. Is there any hope for someone like me to save their tune? Can someone point me in the right direction?
Where are you located?

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Have you changed vin, or injector codes with it?
I have not. I have a spare ECM here and plan to do it.

It has done everything I have asked for it with multiple apps, including AlfaOBD, so I have no reason to believe it wouldn't be able to allow adjusting the VIN and injector codes. Do you know of any reason?

541 - 560 of 720 Posts