RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did I miss where you got your injector codes? Did AlfaOBD update to display that info??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't worried about injector codes yet. They are on the side the engine on a decal. AlfaOBD doesn't display the actual injector codes anywhere that I can find. However, the software was updated to request the correct number of digits (7).

Reason I am not worried about the injectors is because the engine will not start either way without the correct VIN. From what I understand it will probably run with incorrect injector codes, it just might not be optimal. The injector codes just makes the ECM aware of variations from the ideal specification for each injector. How large that variation might be... I do not know.

·
Registered
638 Posts
in post # 8 you wrote "AlfaOBD for android updates automatically. AlfaOBD for windows does not, you have to update it manually. "I guess it could depend on gizmo used also ....
Good eye Kaz.
85 year old brain fart. I got it backwards on post #8. Windows updates automatically. I'l take my 30 lashes

·
Registered
73 Posts
So if I purchase a new ECM from a dealer, does it already have the software on it to run the engine and all I need to do is program VIN and injector codes?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So if I purchase a new ECM from a dealer, does it already have the software on it to run the engine and all I need to do is program VIN and injector codes?

I would think the dealer would be able to put in the vin and injector codes for you. So you wouldn't need to worry about this unless you picked up a used ECM. The main benefit of doing this would be to pick up a used tuned ECM, and then change it for your truck. A dealer can of course change it, but will most likely overwrite the tune at the same time. So doing this yourself is important.

With family in town and some extra work added in, I wasn't able to mess with this much this weekend. Not like I wanted to anyway. My app updated this morning though, so I will be out trying this tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Good eye Kaz.
85 year old brain fart. I got it backwards on post #8. Windows updates automatically. I'l take my 30 lashes
sorry , no lashes for that , it was just to show you I do read your posts with interest , I give them importance ,
and they contradicted each other .:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would think the dealer would be able to put in the vin and injector codes for you. So you wouldn't need to worry about this unless you picked up a used ECM. The main benefit of doing this would be to pick up a used tuned ECM, and then change it for your truck. A dealer can of course change it, but will most likely overwrite the tune at the same time. So doing this yourself is important.

With family in town and some extra work added in, I wasn't able to mess with this much this weekend. Not like I wanted to anyway. My app updated this morning though, so I will be out trying this tomorrow afternoon.
I’m thinking from the opposite perspective. If I have a tuned ECM and don’t want the dealer to touch it, purchase a stock ECM and install so I can take to the dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
how to you go to the dealer with a used ecm and ask them to programme it for you without raising eyebrows and them starting to ask a million questions as to why you need a 2nd ecm? I'd also like to get a backup ecm at some point, but I don't want to be red-flagged on their system. What do you tell them to avoid raising suspicion...

·
Registered
175 Posts
how to you go to the dealer with a used ecm and ask them to programme it for you without raising eyebrows and them starting to ask a million questions as to why you need a 2nd ecm? I'd also like to get a backup ecm at some point, but I don't want to be red-flagged on their system. What do you tell them to avoid raising suspicion...
Are the dealerships the only shops with this capability?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are the dealerships the only shops with this capability?
No, GDE could do it. If GDE figured it out someone else will, it is only a matter of time. The folks on this board already can reprogram the injector codes with AlphaOBD....

·
Registered
175 Posts
No, GDE could do it. If GDE figured it out someone else will, it is only a matter of time. The folks on this board already can reprogram the injector codes with AlphaOBD....
I could be wrong. But I was lead to believe that GDE used a local dealership for the vin. Would love to be wrong.

But if that is the case, some dealership would have all the tuned trucks vin numbers.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I could be wrong. But I was lead to believe that GDE used a local dealership for the vin. Would love to be wrong.

But if that is the case, some dealership would have all the tuned trucks vin numbers.

GDE stated they used the dealer when a " brand new ECM with zero data in it " was purchased ,
justifying the additional $200 they charged when they had to go to dealer to have latest FCA tune programmed to a new ECM .

that alone tells me that copying a complete GDE tune from one tuned ECM , to flash it to another will not be possible ,
using a tuned ECM purchased used , would in theory require only Vin and injector codes to be replaced , this is what this whole thread
is about thanks to Gputah

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in tjkoen01's camp, wishing to set up a spare wo dropping more $$ than I have to.
Also this would give me the reason to get AlfaOBD now for any future repair needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
GDE stated they used the dealer when a " brand new ECM with zero data in it " was purchased ,
justifying the additional $200 they charged when they had to go to dealer to have latest FCA tune programmed to a new ECM .

that alone tells me that copying a complete GDE tune from one tuned ECM , to flash it to another will not be possible ,
using a tuned ECM purchased used , would in theory require only Vin and injector codes to be replaced , this is what this whole thread
is about thanks to Gputah

I've contacted just about every ecodiesel tuner I can find in North America. I'm not so worried about getting my wife's jeep GDE tuned as I am just getting EGR turned off. She's fine with stock power, just need to stop the choking.

I had a couple of tuners tell me they could clone the ECM, but I would have to send in both the original and the spare. One stated that they didn't have a "baseline" for her model year. So possible (this is just inferring on my part), if GDE already had "baselines" various model years, then he might not have to go to the dealership. (Or maybe all of the tuners that stated they could clone are just going to a dealership and not divulging that information) SofaKingTuned stated that they could change the VIN and Injector Codes, which would be most similar to what we are trying to do. Not sure if this requires sending the ECU in or not; I sent a reply asking for clarification.

I've also contacted a performance shop to see if they can clone the stock ECM, but haven't heard anything back. I am leery of going to a dealership and asking... I don't have an FCA dealership nearby that I would particularly trust.

I had a decent phone conversation with one of the reps for Lightspeed tuners and he stated that the reason they need both ECU's sent is is because the only way to get all of the information off is the bench reader (Ktag). KessV2, which is what most of the OBD tuners can only ready the EEPROM. There is also microcode in the Microcontroller that can only be read/written from the bench. So according to them the bench "is the only way to clone it the right way."

You can get cheap chinese knockoffs of Kess/Ktag off of ebay, but I'm not sure you can get one that is compatible with the newer K-suite software so that the EDC17C79 can be read/write. If what I want to do could be done with Kess I almost want to try, but I'm not ready to start opening up ECM's and using Ktag if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Did I miss where you got your injector codes? Did AlfaOBD update to display that info??

I reached out to GDE, and they were very gracious to show me how to decipher the injector codes from the engine stickers. I've attached an image on how to do that. I've now ran into a new issue. AlphaOBD is wanting 9 digit codes and the Ecodiesel injectors use 7 digit codes. I've sent a message to AlphaOBD to see what their feedback is.

View attachment 82956
Here ya go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't be forthcoming with an answer to every question. You don't have to answer anything if they want your dollar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As others have mentioned, you have the truck towed to the dealer with no ECM as it was likely stolen, and you need your purchased ECM mated to the truck.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
As others have mentioned, you have the truck towed to the dealer with no ECM as it was likely stolen, and you need your purchased ECM mated to the truck.
Yeah or drive it there the night before and leave with your GDE tuned ECM ,
tell the dealer you had it towed in when they were closed , save price of tow truck and test
your lying skills .....:p ""left hood open to charge battery overnight and somebody stole my charger , then truck would not start ,
my tech told me bast/$%s stole my module also,:mad: , I purchased this used one and please match it to my truck , how much ??""

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah or drive it there the night before and leave with your GDE tuned ECM ,
tell the dealer you had it towed in when they were closed , save price of tow truck and test
your lying skills .....:p ""left hood open to charge battery overnight and somebody stole my charger , then truck would not start ,
my tech told me bast/$%s stole my module also,:mad: , I purchased this used one and please match it to my truck , how much ??""
I've considered this, but they will have cameras that will show otherwise. And removing an ECM while in their lot after hours will probably win you a visit by a policeman.

Getting it towed there with the ECM already removed is the only option I can see for the "it was stolen" scenario, and it's not that great an option either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FWIW I emailed GDE a couple weeks ago - they can set up a stock ECU for 7 clams. I believe this was them supplying the ECU.

I'm on the fence about spending that if I can set up a used one with AlfaOBD.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts