RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

601 - 620 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Would this still hold true if I bought a new PCM/ECU and then used AlfaOBD to assign injector codes and assign my VIN. My truck is a 2016 limited with a GDE tune and all I want is a going to dealership spare ecu. Twice has my GDE ECU been over written by the dealership and I thought the $50 price tag from GDE was a bargain thinking how many times can they possibly do this. Wrong!
Check eBay, car-part.com and LKQ for a used ECU for your truck. Should be able to pick one up for $300 or less. Once you have it, purchase AlfaOBD and an OBD adapter and in 30 minutes you’d be set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Would this still hold true if I bought a new PCM/ECU and then used AlfaOBD to assign injector codes and assign my VIN. My truck is a 2016 limited with a GDE tune and all I want is a going to dealership spare ecu. Twice has my GDE ECU been over written by the dealership and I thought the $50 price tag from GDE was a bargain thinking how many times can they possibly do this. Wrong!
Check this thread https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/ecm-clone-requests

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
NAVYVET , don't buy a new ECU , it does not contain any tune , and is more trouble to get it stock tuned .
usually costs more than $200 just to have the stock tune flashed to a brand new ECM .
'' Better find a used ECM '' .
------
the link should have been this ;
ECM Clone Requests

but I don't see how this link helps , unless you already purchased a used ECM ,
and wish that gtsav2006 clone your legitime tuned ECM to it .

Maybe you can work something out with Keith ( gtsav2006 )

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey all - I've got an ECM from a '14 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel that I didn't end up using if anyone is interested in the ECM swap deal. I've also got Alfa and can program the injectors and VIN in as well if you'd like. From what I understand it should work in any '14 or '15 Ram or Grand Cherokee ... I'll deal on price as it's a loss for me at this point - test ECM for someone? I haven't checked to see if it has the AEM but as I'm writing this I'm thinking it'll be worth more if it's pre-AEM? Thx!
I'd be interested in the JGC ECM. I don't have an ECM to swap with you though. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Link didn't work
Hey @NAVYVET, I sent you a PM. I have had a couple of members request that I source the salvage ECM's for them.

I also have a brand new ECM incoming as we speak. So in the event that the salvage market dries up I hope to be able to program new ECM's as well. Of course the best price I have seen for a new ECM is around $520, so it is still a fairly big price difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
A new ECM comes blank and won’t have anything on it to run your truck. You would need to either save your current tune to file(requires special hardware and knowledge of how to do this) and clone it to a new ECM or better yet, just buy a used ECM from the same year truck as yours and then program with AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was purchased and loaded as of Sept 2018, so I do believe it is the latest. Please don't get me wrong I don't want to come across as accusatory or upset with anyone here, because I am not. This forum is great and the people here are very helpful and wonderful to chat with. But I do feel it necessary to mention I do not condone piracy of and/or loading of others' tunes unless they have been purchased. I do understand GDE, at least for now, is not selling these tunes. However, they (GDE) have worked hard on developing this tune and they deserve the compensation for their work, and rightly so, as we are now starting to see how difficult this whole thing is. What me and gtsav2006 are doing is merely to understand how this all works. I will not load another tune and keep said tune on my truck in good conscience. The whole reason for me to start this whole thing in the first place was to allow use of a used stock ECM on any truck to allow us to keep the tunes we already purchased safe. I hope everyone understands.
I totally agree and understand, this is about sharing knowledge not stealing intellectual property from anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the group (thanks for the add). I have a JGC and a Ram ED. The JGC is a '14 with a GDE hot tune and trans tune installed post AEM. When I had it tuned, I didn't keep my original ECU (stupid in retrospect). I've not purchased a spare used ECU and I'm about to reprogram the VIN and injector codes so I can take it to the dealer for warranty work on my air-ride suspension. My question is: has anyone figured out a way to save their GDE trans tune through this process? I had read on a different blog that you can put the stock trans tune on before you take it in, then put the GDE tune back one when I get it back and put my GDE ECU in. However, I read on here that the trans tune handled gets locked and you can't re-install the GDE trans tune. Thanks in advance for any assistance and HUGE thank you to all those involved in figuring out the VIN and injector codes!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
New to the group (thanks for the add). I have a JGC and a Ram ED. The JGC is a '14 with a GDE hot tune and trans tune installed post AEM. When I had it tuned, I didn't keep my original ECU (stupid in retrospect). I've not purchased a spare used ECU and I'm about to reprogram the VIN and injector codes so I can take it to the dealer for warranty work on my air-ride suspension. My question is: has anyone figured out a way to save their GDE trans tune through this process? I had read on a different blog that you can put the stock trans tune on before you take it in, then put the GDE tune back one when I get it back and put my GDE ECU in. However, I read on here that the trans tune handled gets locked and you can't re-install the GDE trans tune. Thanks in advance for any assistance and HUGE thank you to all those involved in figuring out the VIN and injector codes!!!
This process is only for the ECM. The Trans tune will need the tuning device, do you still have it? All you would need to do is put the stock tune back using the device, and then install the tune again once the work is done.

The TCM is the computer the trans tune is flashed to. The GDE engine tune goes onto the ECM/ECU. So they are completely separate computers in the truck.

Edit/After thought: There is another way using separate software to get the trans tune using a laptop. But, that takes a good amount of computer knowledge to do and an experience working with opensource tuning software is a huge plus. I have the software on my laptop and have looked at my stock TCM tune vs the SFT Tune that I'm running and know most of the changes they made. I can also tweak it if I would like, but do not ever plan on it as I'm completely happy with it. If you don't know what you are doing in there, you could really mess up things. That would be bad. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Thanks to all who helped put this ”Fix” together. I bought a used ECU online and it arrived last week. Yesterday I Was able to follow the directions here and successfully get my Eco running with it so I can make a trip to the dealer for my last free oil change and will have to return to the dealer at some point in the future for the EGR recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Edit/After thought: There is another way using separate software to get the trans tune using a laptop. But, that takes a good amount of computer knowledge to do and an experience working with opensource tuning software is a huge plus. I have the software on my laptop and have looked at my stock TCM tune vs the SFT Tune that I'm running and know most of the changes they made. I can also tweak it if I would like, but do not ever plan on it as I'm completely happy with it. If you don't know what you are doing in there, you could really mess up things. That would be bad. :)
What software/hardware did you use to look at/edit the TCM tune?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
What software/hardware did you use to look at/edit the TCM tune?
HP Tuners VCM Editor with a Tactrix Cable. Another cable might work. back in the day when I worked on my WRX and tuned it, I picked up a USB to OBD cable off ebay for $16 and it worked fine. But since I already have the tactrix I just used that with HP Tuners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HP Tuners VCM Editor with a Tactrix Cable. Another cable might work. back in the day when I worked on my WRX and tuned it, I picked up a USB to OBD cable off ebay for $16 and it worked fine. But since I already have the tactrix I just used that with HP Tuners.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks to all who helped put this ”Fix” together. I bought a used ECU online and it arrived last week. Yesterday I Was able to follow the directions here and successfully get my Eco running with it so I can make a trip to the dealer for my last free oil change and will have to return to the dealer at some point in the future for the EGR recall.
I have search the site and somehow I have been unable to find the information that you used to get your ECU you up and running. If it’s not too much trouble can you email the instructions to me at the following email; Jerome [email protected]. Thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
I have search the site and somehow I have been unable to find the information that you used to get your ECU you up and running. If it’s not too much trouble can you email the instructions to me at the following email; Jerome [email protected]. Thanks.
Jerome, the instructions were pinned tot he DIY section on the forums. When I get to my computer I'll send you a link to it. This thread has grown very long and has a ton of info that is hard to go through. :)

Reactions: Mopar73340

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Jerome , go back to post # 461 , there is a PDF file in that post ,
download it , the step by step instructions are in that file .
Make sure you read the posts that follow # 461 about compatibility
issues for 2014 and 2015 trucks having different DEF tanks with no DEF quality sensors in them.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #618

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jerome, the instructions were pinned tot he DIY section on the forums. When I get to my computer I'll send you a link to it. This thread has grown very long and has a ton of info that is hard to go through. :)
THANK YOU very much , I get the stupid award, I failed to get a spare ECU programed by GDE when they were in business. I am now scared to take my truck to the dealer afraid that he may flash my ECU and as you know my tune will be gone for EVER?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
THANK YOU very much , I get the stupid award, I failed to get a spare ECU programed by GDE when they were in business. I am now scared to take my truck to the dealer afraid that he may flash my ECU and as you know my tune will be gone for EVER?
You're not alone in that boat. :) But with this option available, people can at least pickup a used ECM and have it as a backup.

Reactions: Mopar73340
601 - 620 of 712 Posts