RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

621 - 640 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
You're not alone in that boat. :) But with this option available, people can at least pickup a used ECM and have it as a backup.
OK go ahead and laugh at me, I know that the Alpha OBD is a program. Can you tell me how do you connect your laptop to the ECU to download or use the app for Alpha OBD program with my ECU. What kind of cable do I need that will connect to the ECU to connect it to my laptop. And what else do I need to accomplish this task.

·
Registered
277 Posts
OK go ahead and laugh at me, I know that the Alpha OBD is a program. Can you tell me how do you connect your laptop to the ECU to download or use the app for Alpha OBD program with my ECU. What kind of cable do I need that will connect to the ECU to connect it to my laptop. And what else do I need to accomplish this task.
There is a list of compatible OBD adapter on the AlfaOBD site. I have the OBDLink MX+ and works great. There are other adapters that apparently work well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
I would use the one mentioned above as its known to work. I was lucky in that I have an Elm327 adapter that I got off eBay several years ago to use with another app. It was inexpensive compared to the recommended one. Figured I’d give it a shot and it actually worked.
There is a list of compatible OBD adapter on the AlfaOBD site. I have the OBDLink MX+ and works great. There are other adapters that apparently work well too.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Jerome , nobody is laughing ,, it is technical stuff ,,
they look like these images , and with blue tooth active on device where you install AlfaOBD app ,
it communicates thru that gizmo / dongle , plugged in to OBDII on truck .
many models work for the AlfaOBD app.
----------------------------
there is a LX , said to give access to less possibilities of AlfaOBD tools ,
but the LX is enough for VIN and injector codes .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jerome , nobody is laughing ,, it is technical stuff ,,
they look like these images , and with blue tooth active on device where you install AlfaOBD app ,
it communicates thru that gizmo / dongle , plugged in to OBDII on truck .
many models work for the AlfaOBD app.
----------------------------
there is a LX , said to give access to less possibilities of AlfaOBD tools ,
but the LX is enough for VIN and injector codes .
.. View attachment 85649 View attachment 85650 View attachment 85651 .
Thanks for all the help guys, this is why I joined this site so we can help each other. Or should I wait on FCA to help me,LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #634
Guys I'm stage 2 tune from Sofa King. What is it that you guys are looking for here exactly
I am also running stage 2 from SFT. We were looking at programming new ECM's for our trucks, expanding options with tunes and dealers. We found what we were looking for. About 300-400 posts ago ;)

I might add that I have 2 other tunes that I swap in my truck now for testing and comparisons. What we found here allowed me to do this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Has anyone confirmed if a stock 2014-2015 ECU will work in a 2016 model year with no MIL/CEL issues? The theory is that it will work. Just looking for positive confirmation. A few hundred posts back someone mentioned the DEF gauge wasn't registering in their experience with this swap??

·
Registered
277 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if a stock 2014-2015 ECU will work in a 2016 model year with no MIL/CEL issues? The theory is that it will work. Just looking for positive confirmation. A few hundred posts back someone mentioned the DEF gauge wasn't registering in their experience with this swap??
I’d you are referring to my post, the issue wasn’t the def gage, but the lack of my truck having the def quality sensor and the newer ECU was looking for it. You are talking about the opposite configuration. I do not recall anyone trying it.

My best guess is that you will be fine putting the 2014-15 ECU in a 2016. I think the ECU would ignore the extra module. Won’t really know unless someone tries...or maybe GDE has some insight.

621 - 640 of 682 Posts