RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

641 - 660 of 682 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’d you are referring to my post, the issue wasn’t the def gage, but the lack of my truck having the def quality sensor and the newer ECU was looking for it. You are talking about the opposite configuration. I do not recall anyone trying it.

My best guess is that you will be fine putting the 2014-15 ECU in a 2016. I think the ECU would ignore the extra module. Won’t really know unless someone tries...or maybe GDE has some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've tested a 2014 tune on my 2017. No issues. DEF works fine. Although I warn people when they ask that DEF usage might be slightly higher than normal. However, I was tuned since 1k miles and DEF was disabled in my tune so there could be other variables at play.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if a stock 2014-2015 ECU will work in a 2016 model year with no MIL/CEL issues? The theory is that it will work. Just looking for positive confirmation. A few hundred posts back someone mentioned the DEF gauge wasn't registering in their experience with this swap??
I am looking for a answer to that question as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am looking for a answer to that question as well.
It definitely works, my dad got a 2016 RAM recently and I found him a stock 2015 ECM and was able to re-program it without issue. No MIL/CEL issues and he's been driving it quite a bit now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It definitely works, my dad got a 2016 RAM recently and I found him a stock 2015 ECM and was able to re-program it without issue. No MIL/CEL issues and he's been driving it quite a bit now.
Can you tell me if he reprogrammed it his self if so did he use the Alpha OBD along with a wireless OBD 2 plug. If you don’t want to put that information on this site I can send you my personal email and we can discuss it further. I am dying to figure out how to do this without taking it to a dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you tell me if he reprogrammed it his self if so did he use the Alpha OBD along with a wireless OBD 2 plug. If you don’t want to put that information on this site I can send you my personal email and we can discuss it further. I am dying to figure out how to do this without taking it to a dealer.
I programmed it for him, using AlfaOBD and Wireless MX+ adaptor. Just re-wrote the VIN and injector codes to it and fired right up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I programmed it for him, using AlfaOBD and Wireless MX+ adaptor. Just re-wrote the VIN and injector codes to it and fired right up.
[/QUOTE
If you have the time and its not too much trouble,can you please email me what you did step-by-step to the following email address;[email protected]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jerome , did you look at the PDF file posted by R2JJS in post # 461 on this here thread ??

here it is again :
Yes I have looked at this post and I also made copies, but someone on this site, which I won’t call names said that this would not work. I am trying to get all the information I can before I track down a salvage ECU .

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Yes I have looked at this post and I also made copies, but someone on this site, which I won’t call names said that this would not work. I am trying to get all the information I can before I track down a salvage ECU .
I have used that process on 2 used ECM's, it works.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Worked for me using the windows version of AlfaOBD. Don’t recall anyone saying it didn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
I also was able to use the instructions above with Alphaobd to program a used ECU for my truck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Soooo testing this whole setup at the moment. Truck is at the dealers getting caught up on recalls. EGR cooler, new software update etc.

Pulled my trans tune + swapped my ECU before dropping off. Curious to see if they mention anything!

I'll post when I get it back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Soooo testing this whole setup at the moment. Truck is at the dealers getting caught up on recalls. EGR cooler, new software update etc.

Pulled my trans tune + swapped my ECU before dropping off. Curious to see if they mention anything!

Please do, I’m scheduled for May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
164 Posts

I would like to know as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Recalls done today:
U07 autopark
V44 Tailgate latch
VB1 EGR cooler
VA7 Ecodiesel performance recall

All done with the junkyard ECU in the truck & GDE trans tune pulled.

No questions asked, no mention of different original VIN in the ECU. If they noticed they didn't ask or deny the recalls. Gonna run the stock setup a bit and see how it drives.

Thinking the original intent of this thread is fulfilled! My GDE tune is sitting on my toolbox when I'm ready to put it back. ;-)

Ronald

641 - 660 of 682 Posts