·
Registered
286 Posts
Recalls done today:
U07 autopark
V44 Tailgate latch
VB1 EGR cooler
VA7 Ecodiesel performance recall

All done with the junkyard ECU in the truck & GDE trans tune pulled.

No questions asked, no mention of different original VIN in the ECU. If they noticed they didn't ask or deny the recalls. Gonna run the stock setup a bit and see how it drives.

Thinking the original intent of this thread is fulfilled! My GDE tune is sitting on my toolbox when I'm ready to put it back. ;-)

Ronald

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Mine stuck out like a sore thumb since it went in for the AEM and the ECU already had the AEM software on it. No problems, trans was updated as well as the other recalls open at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Recalls done today:
U07 autopark
V44 Tailgate latch
VB1 EGR cooler
VA7 Ecodiesel performance recall

All done with the junkyard ECU in the truck & GDE trans tune pulled.

No questions asked, no mention of different original VIN in the ECU. If they noticed they didn't ask or deny the recalls. Gonna run the stock setup a bit and see how it drives.

Thinking the original intent of this thread is fulfilled! My GDE tune is sitting on my toolbox when I'm ready to put it back. ;-)

Ronald

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for that info, I was wondering if adding the recalls would be a problem with a salvage ECU installed in my truck. I will be pick up my salvage ECU tomorrow. Last week I got a OBDLink- LX Bluetooth OBD port reader. Now I need to buy the Alpha OBD program and give it a shot trying to tune the salvage ECU to work in my 2016 truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you everyone. I have spent hours reading every page of this and I think I have it clear in my mind with one exception where I need clarification. Currently am I correct to say that AlphaOBD is not available for Apple products? That is my hiccup; I would need an Android device of some sort?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,412 Posts
Currently am I correct to say that AlphaOBD is not available for Apple products? That is my hiccup; I would need an Android device of some sort?
That is correct, the AlfaOBD app is only available for Android or if you have a Windows laptop.
It is possible to sideload the Google PlayStore on an Amazon Fire tablet which can bought pretty cheap. Google for instructions on how to, it involves downloading and installing four software files.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thank you everyone. I have spent hours reading every page of this and I think I have it clear in my mind with one exception where I need clarification. Currently am I correct to say that AlphaOBD is not available for Apple products? That is my hiccup; I would need an Android device of some sort?
That is correct, the AlfaOBD app is only available for Android or if you have a Windows laptop.
It is possible to sideload the Google PlayStore on an Amazon Fire tablet which can bought pretty cheap. Google for instructions on how to, it involves downloading and installing four software files.
We both are about the same stage in our programming, the alpha OBD program says that you can use android program or Windows program. I have tried to use my windows computer with the program but have been unsuccessful even downloading it. So I purchased a Lenovo tab eight android tablet to use with the program to write codes to a savage ECU. I got about 18% of oil life left on my oil . When I disconnect my ECU and plug in the salvage ECU I will lose my oil mileage percentage, so I am going to wait until it’s time to change my oil before I attempt to program the salvage yard ECU.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the same situation as you and many others with no Android device to load AlfaOBD on to. I decided to go ahead with the Windows version of AlfaOBD. An Apple (iOS) version is in the works but Alexey at AlfaOBD is still unsure of the availability timeframe. He did tell me that
if I purchased the Windows version now, I would be able to switch the license to iOS later free of charge. That made the decision easy to go ahead with purchasing the Windows compatible version.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am in the same situation as you and many others with no Android device to load AlfaOBD on to. I decided to go ahead with the Windows version of AlfaOBD. An Apple (iOS) version is in the works but Alexey at AlfaOBD is still unsure of the availability timeframe. He did tell me that
if I purchased the Windows version now, I would be able to switch the license to iOS later free of charge. That made the decision easy to go ahead with purchasing the Windows compatible version.
Good luck with the windows version, I went to the Alpha OBD site and tried to download it ,it would not download. That’s why I decided to go with the android version and purchase the android tablet. Their are many people on this site who have been successful using the android version .

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
I was lucky and had a cheap android tablet that came with the EFI system I bought a year ago. I also just recently bought a fire tablet as a backup as it was only $50 and was able to side load Alphaobd and google play store on it Along with the Edelbrock ProFlo4 software.

I’m patiently waiting on the IOS version of Alphaobd to be available.

Reactions: Crash68

·
Registered
805 Posts
Buy a cheap tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have had no issues at all with the windows version, for what it's worth.
Get an Android tablet and work with it. It’s like their phone platform. When my son was little I’d get him a phone just like mine that way he showed me shit I’d never figure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
So im hoping the brains of this forumn can help me out I just for the first time used AlphaOBD to program a 2015 ECM to my 2014 Grand Cherokee but now im getting the active U02A2 Lost Communication with Reducatant Quality Module Error Present,

Has anyone figured out a way of disabling this in Alpha?

·
Registered
191 Posts
So im hoping the brains of this forumn can help me out I just for the first time used AlphaOBD to program a 2015 ECM to my 2014 Grand Cherokee but now im getting the active U02A2 Lost Communication with Reducatant Quality Module Error Present,

Has anyone figured out a way of disabling this in Alpha?
Judging by the error it sounds like it may not have been from a 2015. Based on knowledge around the forum the DEF quality sensors were added to the 2017s. Have you looked up the original VIN from the spare?

Is it the donor from a GC? Because if it's not that will cause you some other issues. I'm just suspicious because GC ecodiesels after MY 2015 are quite rare.

You can't disabled DTC's in AlfaOBD so its not going to be any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will have to hook the ECM up again and see what the original VIN was, basically what got me on this is a friend just purchased a GDE Tuned Ecm from a ram and I plan on programming it to her Grand Cherokee, but im wondering if thats even possible now, I wanted to just setup a stock ecm for myself, and currently its giving me that code and Cruise Control systems not working after I told it that it had Adaptive Cruise. Im just hoping im able to program this Ram ECM ( that used to be a GC) for her, if not it was money waisted that hopefully i could recover.

But no one knows of a way to remove this code? obviously the tuners can do it but..... my oher thought was simply drive it to the friendly dealer I have and have them write the AEM on it. problem solved.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will have to hook the ECM up again and see what the original VIN was, basically what got me on this is a friend just purchased a GDE Tuned Ecm from a ram and I plan on programming it to her Grand Cherokee, but im wondering if thats even possible now, I wanted to just setup a stock ecm for myself, and currently its giving me that code and Cruise Control systems not working after I told it that it had Adaptive Cruise. Im just hoping im able to program this Ram ECM ( that used to be a GC) for her, if not it was money waisted that hopefully i could recover.

But no one knows of a way to remove this code? obviously the tuners can do it but..... my oher thought was simply drive it to the friendly dealer I have and have them write the AEM on it. problem solved.
I believe there is a bug in AlfaOBD when it comes to setting the CC. I acquired a GDE ECM for my wife's jeep (a Jeep ECM) and the previous Jeep had ACC. The cruise control controls are different between Jeep and Ram. Jeep has 5-button cruise control, Ram has 4-button cruise control. It looks like AlfaOBD sets "4-button" regardless if you are editing a Jeep or a Ram. So it will set ACC, but will change the control type to "4-button" and cruise control will not work. I eventually got the GDE ECM to work, but had to edit the EEPROM by hand.

The Ram ECM will not work correctly in the Jeep. It will run the vehicle without issue, but cruise control will not work and there may be other issues as well. You will get 7 or so DTC's as soon as you start it up, mostly related to Active Grill Shutter. I have a Eco Ram and my wife has an Eco Jeep.

Not sure if anyone has taken a "cross over" ECM to the dealer and had it flashed. I'm not sure if the automated tool used by the tech will do it correctly. It might, just not sure.

I know how to do a few different things and might be able to help you out. You can shoot me a PM if your still having trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe there is a bug in AlfaOBD when it comes to setting the CC. I acquired a GDE ECM for my wife's jeep (a Jeep ECM) and the previous Jeep had ACC. The cruise control controls are different between Jeep and Ram. Jeep has 5-button cruise control, Ram has 4-button cruise control. It looks like AlfaOBD sets "4-button" regardless if you are editing a Jeep or a Ram. So it will set ACC, but will change the control type to "4-button" and cruise control will not work. I eventually got the GDE ECM to work, but had to edit the EEPROM by hand.

The Ram ECM will not work correctly in the Jeep. It will run the vehicle without issue, but cruise control will not work and there may be other issues as well. You will get 7 or so DTC's as soon as you start it up, mostly related to Active Grill Shutter. I have a Eco Ram and my wife has an Eco Jeep.

Not sure if anyone has taken a "cross over" ECM to the dealer and had it flashed. I'm not sure if the automated tool used by the tech will do it correctly. It might, just not sure.

I know how to do a few different things and might be able to help you out. You can shoot me a PM if your still having trouble.
So basically what you saying is just sell this ECM to soemone else and start over, as this all needs to work for her, I thought for sure I could get this done for her but seems not. argh, what a pain this ECM was PERFECT How did you program the EEPROM by hand? its just not worth it ot have all these trouble codes.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So basically what you saying is just sell this ECM to soemone else and start over, as this all needs to work for her, I thought for sure I could get this done for her but seems not. argh, what a pain this ECM was PERFECT How did you program the EEPROM by hand? its just not worth it ot have all these trouble codes.
I think you are talking about two ECM's for two different vehicles, but it's not clear to me. Each situation is unique. With the tools you have, I don't believe you will be able to accomplish what you want. If you have a good relationship with your dealership, then you can call and check with them.

I can do some relatively unique things, but it would require me to have possession of the ECM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for this post and all the information. Because of you, I was able to successfully program a stock EMC for my 2018 ED, and save my GDE program.

Using the Alpha program, a $30 used Android tablet from ebay, a harness from KOAdtech, a $12 bluetooth adapter from Amazon, and a used ECM from a 2017 ED, it all was straightforward and works perfect. I was even able to get the new ECM connected and programmed without removing the current GDE that is mounted on the firewall (did not have to take out the airbox or remove anything to access the connections).

Thanks again!!

661 - 680 of 692 Posts