RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

681 - 689 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh what the heck, I'm not that busy today.... I pulled the info together as a sort of guide for those that have been asking. If anyone see anything I've missed let me know.
I finally took the time to program the used ECM I purchased last December so I could swap it out prior to taking my 2014 in for the engine fire recall. Thanks to R2JJS for the nicely written instructions. I used the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth interface. Ran into 2 new-be issues that took me a while to figure out.
1. I initially couldn’t get ALFAOBD to connect. Found I had to first shut down the OBDLink program before connecting ALFAOBD to the Bluetooth.
2. I forgot to shut the key off for 2 minutes after programming the VIN and injector codes in the replacement ECM. Sure enough, the truck would start but shut right down until I remembered the instructions said to do that.

All worked fine after that. Thanks to all for the hard work and willingness to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I finally took the time to program the used ECM I purchased last December so I could swap it out prior to taking my 2014 in for the engine fire recall. Thanks to R2JJS for the nicely written instructions. I used the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth interface. Ran into 2 new-be issues that took me a while to figure out.
1. I initially couldn’t get ALFAOBD to connect. Found I had to first shut down the OBDLink program before connecting ALFAOBD to the Bluetooth.
2. I forgot to shut the key off for 2 minutes after programming the VIN and injector codes in the replacement ECM. Sure enough, the truck would start but shut right down until I remembered the instructions said to do that.

All worked fine after that. Thanks to all for the hard work and willingness to share.

I have had my spare ECU for a couple of months now, I have about 13% left on my oil level before it is time to change my oil. So I am waiting to the next oil change comes up before I try to swap the ECU. I will let the forum know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Gputah- were you or anyone else able to successfully reprogram the vin and injector codes? Need help on doing this and new to the forum. I have a 2016.
Thank you,
stark

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Hi Gputah- were you or anyone else able to successfully reprogram the vin and injector codes? Need help on doing this and new to the forum. I have a 2016.
Thank you,
stark
Yes, I've programmed 6 ECMs now. Several others have been successful as well. There is ba sticky how to thread in the diy section of the forum with the step by step instructions. They are also included in this thread but it's pretty large and would take some time to find it. If you read the part few pages you can see others reporting they have been able to do this.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Thank you,
stark
Welcome to the site Starky , ''🖐''
the step by step instructions are in post # 461 of this thread .
you have a 2016 ... OK ,,, you can get pretty much any year ECM for your tuck , since your DEF tank has the DEF quality sensor in it .
if I were you I would read the posts after the #461 , some good info in those posts .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here. So I was hoping to get some advise and I hope this is not the wrong place to post this... Also, sorry it is long, but it may serve as a warning to anyone else using this method.
I had a stock ECU that kept having brief random CEL's. I found this guide and found an ECU on ebay that was listed as 2014. Turned out to be from 2016. Seller, says too bad because it's considered a compatible part.

So, I went ahead and installed it. I updated VIN and injectors per instructions. I turned it on and noticed that I was getting the DEF sensor warning. But, I figured that I could probably just ask the dealer to flash it back to stock if there is a problem. I tried to call the service manager 3 times the day before my appointment. She never called back. I did speak to the service advisor who said she thought it would be fine, but to bring it to the appointment and if there was a problem, they just wouldn't flash it.

So, the next day (yesterday) I took it to the appointment. I check it in with the service advisor who says everything looks to be in order and says it will be done in 2 hours. I again mention the fact that it is not the original ECU and that the DEF CEL is on and said that if there is any problem, call me. I don't want diagnostics or any work done if they have any problems. I get a call an hour later saying that the VIN is the wrong number and that they cannot flash the update. The service manager tells me they want me to pay diagnostic fees and to come get my car. Also said they have a Star case open on my truck. They offered that if I can come and flash the VIN again then they will try again.

I go in and reflash the VIN. I ask if everything is fine and they said that I should just leave it there overnight and they will call when it's done. I heard nothing all morning today, so I called around noon. The service manager advised me that they could not flash it. They advised me that since I have "Tuned" my ECU that my warranty is now restricted and that I cannot have any recalls done...ever. She advises that I have no warranty and can never get service at an FCA dealership with the vehicle. I tried explaining that it was a stock ECU and it has never been tuned. They said that having me come in to reflash it was a "test" and that it proved that I had tuned the vehicle. They also said that the DEF sensor CEL is proof that the tune I used damaged all of my exhaust components. They also told me that changing the VIN of an ECU is illegal and threatened to "turn me in to the government". Of course, none of this is true.

I called another FCA dealer in town. I asked if it is possible to flash another vehicle's ecu to my vehicle and they said they didn't think it was a problem. Then came the bad news...They can't do anything to my car because the VIN is listed as "restricted". I called FCA, they said only the dealer can remove the restriction. I called the dealer back and they said it is in FCA's hands. I made a case with FCA and am currently waiting to hear back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here. So I was hoping to get some advise and I hope this is not the wrong place to post this...
I had a stock ECU that kept having brief random CEL's. I found this guide and found an ECU on ebay that was listed as 2014. Turned out to be from 2016. Seller, says too bad because it's considered a compatible part.
Technically they are correct. The hardware is the same. A new ECU is blank and the correct software needs to be installed.

If you install the 2016 and change the VIN and injector codes (you can do that with AlfaOBD), you may be able to find a dealer to flash the right software on it for you. The other option would be to sell it and buy a 2014 or 2015 ECU and program the VIN and injector codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Technically they are correct. The hardware is the same. A new ECU is blank and the correct software needs to be installed.

If you install the 2016 and change the VIN and injector codes (you can do that with AlfaOBD), you may be able to find a dealer to flash the right software on it for you. The other option would be to sell it and buy a 2014 or 2015 ECU and program the VIN and injector codes.

Please see the additional info I added to the post above. Now that it is restricted, no dealership will touch it now. Thanks for your help!

One more interesting thing: The AEM settlement agreement specifically states that if there is a software reason that the AEM cannot be installed the owner has the right to correct it and the proceed with the update.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Please see the additional info I added to the post above. Now that it is restricted, no dealership will touch it now. Thanks for your help!

One more interesting thing: The AEM settlement agreement specifically states that if there is a software reason that the AEM cannot be installed the owner has the right to correct it and the proceed with the update.
Lol, I guess we were typing at the same time!

Looks like you stepped into a big pile of doo-doo. Never heard of a vehicle that was “restricted”. Unfortunately I think you are in uncharted territory.

681 - 689 of 689 Posts