RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

701 - 712 of 712 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,424 Posts
At this point they are claiming that only a tuner can change the VIN and that the use of a tuner permanently damaged the emissions system as evidenced by the CEL U02A2 - "Lost Communication with Reductant Quality Module". Therefore, the restriction. They won't remove the restriction because of having the wrong VIN on the ECU at the previous visit regardless of if I have the stock ECU at a later visit.
Sounds like a real DB dealership, might be a good idea to warn others about them.
I find it a bit of BS that they say a loss of comm with the Reductant Quality module equates to the emissions system is permanently damaged, comm loss to modules can happen if the vehicle loses battery power when it's disconnected.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of that fact about the VIN flash by dealer until they informed me of it at the end. At this point they are claiming that only a tuner can change the VIN and that the use of a tuner permanently damaged the emissions system as evidenced by the CEL U02A2 - "Lost Communication with Reductant Quality Module". Therefore, the restriction. They won't remove the restriction because of having the wrong VIN on the ECU at the previous visit regardless of if I have the stock ECU at a later visit. I even offered to pay for new ECU from them and for them to flash it..no dice.
That is BS. Hopefully FCA will help get this straightened out. Dealers have knowingly or unknowingly flashed over tuned ECU’s with no issue. They should be able to check the software installed and verify it is stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
in his case , loss of communication because he put in a ECM from 2016 or newer ,
his truck is 2014 or 2015 , and there is no DEF quality sensor in the DEF tank for the first 2 years of ECO production .
communication loss for sure ..

·
Registered
309 Posts
He says he has the stock ecu. I would put it back in and try another dealer. I would talk around and find a dealer willing to work with you first. Or buy a new truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
He says he has the stock ecu. I would put it back in and try another dealer. I would talk around and find a dealer willing to work with you first. Or buy a new truck.

It is restricted in a way such that no FCA dealer is allowed to touch it. Apparently, it's not that they wouldn't want to help, but that the restriction prevents them from doing so. I called another and they said there is nothing they can do. Even FCA itself says only the dealer can remove the restriction. Basically, they seem to have put a block on it as though the truck is stolen, using the changed VIN to the ECU as the excuse.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Then see if they will take it on trade for a new one. Put the original back in and get it running. You should have never taken it in after you saw codes from putting in a newer ecu to your older truck. Get it running and get rid of it. What other choices do you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Then see if they will take it on trade for a new one. Put the original back in and get it running. You should have never taken it in after you saw codes from putting in a newer ecu to your older truck. Get it running and get rid of it. What other choices do you have.

I thought about trading it in. But, if I do I certainly wouldn't do it at that dealership. No way I would give them any more of my money. I'm concerned also that whatever they did is going to show up on my CARFAX if I go to take it to any other dealer. My guess is that it will. So, at this point, if the they don't choose to make it right and the settlement lawyers can't get it fixed, I would probably just drive it long enough that it won't matter anymore because it will be essentially worthless. Then, sell it to some high schooler for cheap. Only becomes a problem if it develops any mechanical issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the big problem here is that folks assume that the dealer service departments can correct any issue that exists with their truck. The bottomline is performing this procedure can put the truck in a state for which FCA never intended. My guess is the technician/service manager that @neato_2001 is dealing with is probably a little bit pompous and assumes that if they can't figure out what you did, then there MUST be fowl play involved.

Service departments at least USED TO be able to change the VIN on a used ECM using the older Chrysler J2534 software. Maybe this capability was removed from WiTech; I haven't seen it in action so I do not know, but here are other 3rd party tools with software, such as Snap-On, that does the same thing as AlfaOBD. Even the Chrysler J2534 software would only change the "Current VIN" though.

BUT, the other thing is we don't know how the Chrysler tools respond to firmware on the ECM not matching the make/model and having to different VIN values. The OBD tuner tools mate based off of the "original VIN" I believe. The OEM tools may or may not do the same thing. I know folks have reported getting the AEM update with a donor ECM, but it's possible the model year was a close enough match not to matter. (And 2014-2015 have the same firmware.)

If WiTech does use the current VIN to perform firmware updates, then I would also suspect their would be safeguards in place if the delta between the new and existing firmware are too different. Does FCA allow the technician for fully override anything? Maybe, maybe not... This would be somewhat equivalent to trying to flash "Revision 1" bios software to a "Revision 0" motherboard. At some point, the user (or in the case of our trucks, the service manager) to accept responsibility.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a stock ECU that kept having brief random CEL's. I found this guide and found an ECU on ebay that was listed as 2014. Turned out to be from 2016. Seller, says too bad because it's considered a compatible part.
Doesn't this vaguely sound like the issue where the connector near a door panel or something gets loose? Anyone? Bueller?

Apologies for the vagueness, but I know I've read of a couple folks with the issue where random gremlins would appear and there's a connector somewhere that was loose.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Keith , do you mean one of those 2 connectors , or do we have another known connector coming apart .
first one above left tibia of driver inside the cab ,
and second one under truck .

·
Registered
198 Posts
Keith , do you mean one of those 2 connectors , or do we have another known connector coming apart .
No, apologies for the confusion. I'm not aware of anything new. Those are probably the ones. I just recall something about a loose connector causing intermittent issues. Again, sorry... just didn't have the time to check on the history.

701 - 712 of 712 Posts