RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
741 - 760 of 763 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine stuck out like a sore thumb since it went in for the AEM and the ECU already had the AEM software on it. No problems, trans was updated as well as the other recalls open at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat as you. When they check software on my Junkyard ECM they will find the AEM already flashed to this ECM. What did they say about that and what did you do now that you lost your GDE Transmission Tune after the update? Thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. When they check software on my Junkyard ECM they will find the AEM already flashed to this ECM. What did they say about that and what did you do now that you lost your GDE Transmission Tune after the update? Thanks.
If you want the transmission tune back, you should talk to GDE first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want the transmission tune back, you should talk to GDE first.

I did and they suggested do both engine and transmission tunes after the AEM. I'm not excited about an enabled EGR. I won't willingly breath in my own exhaust gases:)

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
I'm not excited about an enabled EGR. I won't willingly breath in my own exhaust gases:)
With the proper tuning, the EGR isn't the Achilles heel it used to be.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #745 ·
With the proper tuning, the EGR isn't the Achilles heel it used to be.
unless it starts leaking into your intake, or out the exhaust. You end up with a blown motor like verndiesel, or other issues that are caused by coolant going into the intake or exhaust like failed emissions components which will cost thousands to fix.

There is no way to tune out physical limitations. The emissions equipment is full of them...

Reactions: Dieselfever

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
unless it starts leaking into your intake, or out the exhaust. You end up with a blown motor like verndiesel, or other issues that are caused by coolant going into the intake or exhaust like failed emissions components which will cost thousands to fix.

There is no way to tune out physical limitations. The emissions equipment is full of them...
Okay.....but the EGR and EGR Cooler are two different animals. You can tune out the EGR but you can't tune out the Cooler. Even with the EGR tuned out, the cooler is still intact and functions normally. Unless removed and or blocked off, the cooler will always be a liability on these motors. Maybe less with the revised coolers? Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts

His ran low on coolant. He speculated it was due to a leaking EGR. The larger factor was human error in thinking there's still coolant in the system when it's visible in the degas bottle.

FCA is in the process of replacing EGR's with a redesign. It's okay if you disagree with me that, with the proper tuning, the emissions components aren't that bad.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
His ran low on coolant. He speculated it was due to a leaking EGR. The larger factor was human error in thinking there's still coolant in the system when it's visible in the degas bottle.

FCA is in the process of replacing EGR's with a redesign. It's okay if you disagree with me that, with the proper tuning, the emissions components aren't that bad.
So says the guy that's actively looking for a pre-epa gde tune with the off-road option so he can install it when his emissions equipment fails.

It's not if the DPF, the def pump/scr or the EGR fail, it's when. Even with proper tuning those parts fail often and are expensive. Yes gde's new tune will most likely prolong the life of these components, but I guarantee they will still fail, soot is still circulated back through the engine, especially when cold, there is a lot of unburnt fuel because the truck needs to run rich so it won't die. There is no way around that and keep the engine running and that is a lot of soot going back into the intake in a cold engine caking things. Therefore the EGR will still cause reliability issues.

I'm 100% certain the EPA would love to eliminate diesels. As long as they get their way and enforce the emission standards they have, diesels will be unreliable.

·
Premium Member
5,250 Posts
So says the guy that's actively looking for a pre-epa gde tune with the off-road option so he can install it when his emissions equipment fails.
I've always stated 'if'. It's okay if we disagree, no need to resort to putting words in my mouth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh what the heck, I'm not that busy today.... I pulled the info together as a sort of guide for those that have been asking. If anyone see anything I've missed let me know.
2 Thumbs up for you taking the time to provide us with a concise a-z instruction set. This is rare. You saved me a bunch of time not having to figure this out myself. It was a snap doing it on my wire's GC. The only line I would add is that after changing the vin you need to go back to start over in 'engine' to get to the injectors. I didnt do this initially and it wouldn't take the first code giving me an 'invalid entry' fault.

Interesting that when checking the vin in the sys info as final step that it shows the original vin for the ecm. This leaves some tracks for a major warranty claim if one swapped back in the detuned ecm prior to towing to dealership. But I doubt they would check this and disqualify as warranty repairs is a profit center.

·
Registered
398 Posts
2 Thumbs up for you taking the time to provide us with a concise a-z instruction set. This is rare. You saved me a bunch of time not having to figure this out myself. It was a snap doing it on my wire's GC. The only line I would add is that after changing the vin you need to go back to start over in 'engine' to get to the injectors. I didnt do this initially and it wouldn't take the first code giving me an 'invalid entry' fault.

Interesting that when checking the vin in the sys info as final step that it shows the original vin for the ecm. This leaves some tracks for a major warranty claim if one swapped back in the detuned ecm prior to towing to dealership. But I doubt they would check this and disqualify as warranty repairs is a profit center.
If they see it, they will likely ask...they asked me.

·
Registered
59 Posts

The old VIN is a risk but in my case I goofed in not keeping my original ECM.

Local dealer hasn't mentioned it. 30k on the V08 & had the egr recall done also.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Can someone please provide me with an approved OBD to Android device cable? I have an android tablet that I would like to use if possible to connect with AlphaOBD.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,194 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
For you software experts out there, I successfully downloaded the AlphaOBD demo to my tablet. I can get into the app and look around but have not tried to change any parameters, specifically making changes to the ECM, as I expect it will not allow with the demo app. . Tried to purchase the full version and get " This app is not available to your device". Tried to download on both android phone and tablet and get the same message with each device. Both devices are 4-6 years old and are currently not "in service" with Verizon, my carrier. Do I need a newer device or need to be under contract for service? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I ended up installing alfa on my laptop to troubleshoot a cooling fan issue on my challenger, I was surprised how easy the process was. I did not try the manual connect or changing any parameters (have hp Tuners for that) but I was able to engage the cooling fans individually to diagnose a wiring issue. Definitely worth the $50 (y)

Reactions: Polymers and 97hmcs

·
Registered
393 Posts
I need a newer device or need to be under contract for service? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Pick up a cheap laptop or tablet.
The hardware and system requirements are listed on the website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if this has already been addressed but would an ECU from a 4x2 work in a 4x4? Would I need to program the Borg Warner transfer case in Alfa?

741 - 760 of 763 Posts