RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

141 - 160 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am watching this thread to see what the final outcome is. I would like to get a spare ECM and have a stock tune put on it, or copy the current GDE tune to it.
I still have two free services at the dealer but am hesitant to bring it as they'll probably want to do a software update and overwrite the tune.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am sorry to report that I was not able to program the VIN in my used ECU with my Autel diagnostic tool . It says this function is not supported by the ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I contacted Sofa King last week and asked them about programming a used ECM to work in my truck. They said that they could do it for me, they said that they charge $150.00 for the service. I am still searching for a used ECM for my truck so I have not tried this service from them yet. Just figured I would post this info on the site to help others. If someone sends their ECM to them to have one program to their truck, can they PLEASE post it on the site.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am sorry to report that I was not able to program the VIN in my used ECU with my Autel diagnostic tool
. It says this function is not supported by the ECU.
My direct experience (as reported previously in this thread), is that the engine will start and run smoothly for ~3 seconds with a mismatched VIN. It has been alleged that the immobilizer is the one shutting the engine down when the mismatch is detected. So, rather that banging our heads against the wall trying to reprogram the VIN, what about a strategy to turn off the immobilizer so that it won't shut down the engine. I couldn't care less if the VINs were mismatched as long as everything else worked normally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Add me to the long list of Ecodiesel owners watching this thread. I have the GDE tune (didn’t keep the original EVM) and am 7K miles into the extended warranty given with the recall. Even if I have an issue in the future covered under warranty, I will not take my Ram in until I can find a way to swap out my tuned ECM.

Hoping someone finds a solution soon to getting a used ECM programmed with VIN and injector codes. If anyone has a used ECM for sale, please PM me with the details.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My direct experience (as reported previously in this thread), is that the engine will start and run smoothly for ~3 seconds with a mismatched VIN. It has been alleged that the immobilizer is the one shutting the engine down when the mismatch is detected. So, rather that banging our heads against the wall trying to reprogram the VIN, what about a strategy to turn off the immobilizer so that it won't shut down the engine. I couldn't care less if the VINs were mismatched as long as everything else worked normally.
Interesting idea. Basically you’d program the truck to the used ECU. It would make swapping back and forth between the 2 ECUs more cumbersome but it might work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Still waiting on my used ECM, I think I have everything in place to carry out a clone but getting my hands on a used ECM has proved to be a challenge. The last order I placed on eBay was cancelled after waiting five days, since the part didn’t meet their quality standards. I can get a new ECM but kind of pricey, I’ve seen the new ones going for $500-$600. I just ordered another one a couple days ago and still waiting for that one to ship also. if Anyone know a good place to get a reasonably priced used ECM quickly let me know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting idea. Basically you’d program the truck to the used ECU. It would make swapping back and forth between the 2 ECUs more cumbersome but it might work.
If the immobilizer could be rendered off-line or some other way of ignoring the mismatch.... switching ECUs back and forth would be trivial.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still waiting on my used ECM, I think I have everything in place to carry out a clone but getting my hands on a used ECM has proved to be a challenge. The last order I placed on eBay was cancelled after waiting five days, since the part didn’t meet their quality standards. I can get a new ECM but kind of pricey, I’ve seen the new ones going for $500-$600. I just ordered another one a couple days ago and still waiting for that one to ship also. if Anyone know a good place to get a reasonably priced used ECM quickly let me know.
Have you tried car-part.com ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the immobilizer could be rendered off-line or some other way of ignoring the mismatch.... switching ECUs back and forth would be trivial.
I don’t think that would be possible without some custom programming, which is the crux of the whole situation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don’t think that would be possible without some custom programming, which is the crux of the whole situation.

Correct either way a module is going to need to be programed. From what I understand from Identifix, the RFHub which is the immobilizer part of the system can only be married to an ECM once with the corresponding VIN#. In order to change that you would need to get a new module to pair with a new VIN#. Not sure why you would want to do this though since there will be a mismatch also in the BCM which will set codes as well. The only other way to do this is to manipulate the ECM data once it's dumped to ignore the mismatch with the RFHub to allow the engine to continue to run. While it is possible, this would be way more complicated than changing the VIN data on the ECM itself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found a couple on there but could not get anyone to respond with a quote via email. Probably need to pick up the phone.

I ordered another one from eBay and he says he will ship out either today or tomorrow. Going to see how this one goes. If this falls through I will start calling around and see what I can locate. eBay is a little weird too cause I noticed many list other items as an ECM even though that are not. For example, I saw one listed as engine ECM glow plug controller. Seems like they just cover the whole gamut when listing an item, cause it can be any of those modules you receive. lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ordered another one from eBay and he says he will ship out either today or tomorrow. Going to see how this one goes. If this falls through I will start calling around and see what I can locate. eBay is a little weird too cause I noticed many list other items as an ECM even though that are not. For example, I saw one listed as engine ECM glow plug controller. Seems like they just cover the whole gamut when listing an item, cause it can be any of those modules you receive. lol
I ordered mine on eBay. There was one listing that showed 4 different modules in the picture, wasn’t clear if I was getting one of those, all of them or something not pictured; so I didn’t buy that one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ordered mine on eBay. There was one listing that showed 4 different modules in the picture, wasn’t clear if I was getting one of those, all of them or something not pictured; so I didn’t buy that one.

I think I saw that one also! Yeah you have to really dig to find a listing that says engine ECM only. I think these places that pull them don't know what they are half the time. I ordered another on on eBay from an auto wrecker and I called him and asked how long it would take to ship, and he started asking me where the ECM is located. I told him why did you list it on eBay if you don't have it in hand? I told him where it was located, but needless to say I canceled that order.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ordered another one from eBay and he says he will ship out either today or tomorrow. Going to see how this one goes. If this falls through I will start calling around and see what I can locate. eBay is a little weird too cause I noticed many list other items as an ECM even though that are not
I found a couple on there but could not get anyone to respond with a quote via email. Probably need to pick up the phone.

. For example, I saw one listed as engine ECM glow plug controller. Seems like they just cover the whole gamut when listing an item, cause it can be any of those modules you receive. lol
Checking them out now thanks!

Pretty sure I found mine through car-part. But they are just an aggregator, the listings should have a website for the actual salvage yard the part is at. Then depending on the actual yard, you can potentially order online. I got one from a salvage yard in Florida for $280. Lots of ones popped up for LKQ as well, but they were typically a bit more pricey.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I've seen a bunch of thing's for "IMMO-off" modifications. Not sure what gets programmed. My understanding is the security features are effectively disabled though. Since I have the push button and keyless entry I was concerned about how compromised my truck might be so I didn't research very much.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You guys can search Car-part for Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel ECM also. That is what I purchased for $220 or so and had GDE tune it at that time. Kept my stock ECM (phew!).

141 - 160 of 422 Posts