RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, super easy/straightforward (so far)!

1. Connect "new" ECU physically into truck - i.e., un-plug old ECU and plug in new one.
2. Connect to ECU using AlphaOBD
3. Use AlphaOBD to write injector codes - 6 of them.
4. Use AlphaOBD to write VIN
5. Start Truck

Like I said, truck starts and running seemingly perfect. Briefly tried forward and reverse, no problem.

Still a little skeptical/cautious. This friend I'm helping has a Tradesman trim level ED. It has a physical key to start the vehicle. Allegedly, the "donor" ECU we are using was a much more highly optioned ED including having a push-button start. Despite those differences, this initial test has still gone well.... much more testing to come.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Once this process is thoroughly ironed out, we need to create a single thread dedicated to reprogramming the ECU and then make it a "sticky". Tons of valuable info in this thread that eventually needs to be condensed into a single thread.
Oh what the heck, I'm not that busy today.... I pulled the info together as a sort of guide for those that have been asking. If anyone see anything I've missed let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
I picked up a salvage yard ECM. Happy to report that I had no issues using alfaOBD programing the VIN and injector codes. The truck started right up and I drove it around for a while with not even a code. The ECM was from the same year truck with similar options.
The only part that made me a bit nervous that I didn't expect is right after I put in the salvage ECM anti theft stuff was having a heart attack. After the VIN and codes were programed and I turned off the key that all went away.
Now I can go and get some recalls completed with out risking my GDE tune.
Thanks to all those who contributed the info to this thread.
Yeah, it should probably mentioned somewhere (maybe in the new DYI page) that it's normal to get a SKIM light and a bunch of SKIM codes if you try to read error codes from any of the modules before the VIN has been changed and the vehicle is keyed off.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
go back to post # 577 here Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
explains you must erase outstanding errors during the process of writing new Vin and Injector codes ,
and post # 463 , about letting everything turn OFF completely before starting truck after flash , ( 2-3 minutes ) .
----------
link to post # 577 =

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO , between step 4 and 5 in OP's step by step ,
you have to turn everything OFF , and let truck go to '' sleep '' so to speak ,( 2-3 minutes )
all different modules will then ''sync'' when you try to start it next time .

·
Registered
411 Posts
One thing that made me a little uncomfortable using AlfaOBD is that you cannot verify the injector codes after they are changed. Over the weekend, I bought a week long to tech authority and performed a test to verify that Alfa OBD correctly updates the codes.

Bottomline: AlfaOBD does correctly update the injector codes.

The test was straight forward. I used the Chrysler J2534 app to verify the original codes. Then used AlfaOBD and the ObdLink MX to perform the code changes. Then went back to the J2534 app for validation. No surprises; everything worked as expect.

Before:

After:

I though maybe this would give some other folks piece of mind that AlfaOBD is doing the job like it did me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
How do you confirm/change the gearing of the rear axle?
In the ECM it's is not possible currently. I think the I am making progress on figuring that out, but I'm not sure it will ever be possible with Alfa OBD. There are values for rear axle ratio in the flash, but these do not appear to be used by FCA.

Folks have ran the "wrong" axle ratio ECM without any major issues. The speculation is that EVIC mileage or mpg may be inaccurate.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Limited CTD
48 Posts
In the ECM it's is not possible currently. I think the I am making progress on figuring that out, but I'm not sure it will ever be possible with Alfa OBD. There are values for rear axle ratio in the flash, but these do not appear to be used by FCA.

Folks have ran the "wrong" axle ratio ECM without any major issues. The speculation is that EVIC mileage or mpg may be inaccurate.
I mistakenly ordered my GDE hot tune with the wrong ratio. After I got it I realized and called GDE. They said it would only affect cruise control. When not pulling my TT and without tow/haul engaged it works fine. When towing if I engage cruise it immediately maxes RPM to 4k+ no matter speed or setting. GDE offered to fix if I sent it back but then EPA shut them down before I got around to it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I mistakenly ordered my GDE hot tune with the wrong ratio. After I got it I realized and called GDE. They said it would only affect cruise control. When not pulling my TT and without tow/haul engaged it works fine. When towing if I engage cruise it immediately maxes RPM to 4k+ no matter speed or setting. GDE offered to fix if I sent it back but then EPA shut them down before I got around to it.
Thanks for the info, at least I'll know how to validate if I can manage to change it. Do you have to actually be towing something for this to occur, or is anytime guy set tow-haul and cruise? Also, I'm assuming you don't have a transmission tune?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Big thanks to everyone that’s contributed here. Got my used ecm last week, installed it tonight, and made the changes via AOBD. Hit the remote start and it’s been running in the driveway for 10 minutes now.

Update

I installed an ECM from a 2014 in my 2016. I did not get a CEL and I assume it’s because the 2014 ECM was not looking for the DEF quality sensor. Putting a 2016 ECM in a 2014 would cause a code.

The changes I made to the BCM (HID/LED/DRL) were not changed. I expected to program the vin and injector codes and then have to go back and redo the changes I made previously. This was not the case. None of the bcm changes were affected and I did not have to redo any of them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
just been through a heap of posts haha but can you prog the vin into a GC ecu and use it in a dodge? cant seem to find accurate answer
It will run, yes. However, cruise control will not work. Haven't ran a setup like that for any significant amount of time, so I'm not sure what else might not work. Also, you'll probably get a handful of ECM codes that will go away gradually over drive cycles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Question, if I was to put a 15 Ram ED ECM in a 2016-2018 Ram ED. Would it cause any issues if the model year is different? Same gears in both ED. I know the injectors and vin need to be changed, just not sure about if anything else would need to be done?

·
Registered
2 Posts
ah ok thanks, Im looking to swap an ED into my JK, there tons of cheap ones in Australia, hoping I can prog the JK vin in to at least get it running

·
Registered
411 Posts
Question, if I was to put a 15 Ram ED ECM in a 2016-2018 Ram ED. Would it cause any issues if the model year is different? Same gears in both ED. I know the injectors and vin need to be changed, just not sure about if anything else would need to be done?
You should be fine. I have a 2017 and have run various ECM firmware's from earlier years. DEF usage feels like it might be higher, but I'm not sure since my DEF has been turned off for most of the life of my truck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not sure, when this update was applied, but AlfaOBD will not show you the injector codes:

Just connect to the ECM and then go to "System Status" (battery icon), then press the "Read System Status" button. You may have to scroll awhile, but it will be there in the data dump.

I know some members were having issues were their injector code label was gone or had injectors replaced and need a way to read out the codes.

I think it would be a worthwhile update to the original post.

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
34 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this board, but I just followed the install directions and my truck won't start....does anyone have a few minutes to assist?!?! Sitting dead in the water and stressed about it!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
Does it try to turn over? maybe start for a few seconds then dies? Read the system status and verify the VIN and injector codes. Look and clear any error codes. Check make sure the ECM connection is good and none of the pins were not damaged. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts