RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
34 Posts
Yes, it does try to start, but doesn't seem to be putting fuel into the engine/turn over. I read the system status and made sure there were no codes left. Double checked VIN and Injector codes and everything seems to match.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
try the battery, check everything after you reconnect. Do you see a red led on the speedo lit up or flashing?

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
34 Posts
I reconnected the old ecm and the truck started fine. I believe it was flashing. The glow plug and check engine light were also flashing and it was saying service electronic throttle control or something.

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
34 Posts
Absolutely, will do. Sorry to spam the board, forgot I wasn't PMing....I'll try to keep everything in one message rather than multiple!

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
34 Posts
Update: sorry not much interesting to update you with. Tried everything. Double checked ever injector code and the VIN. No luck getting it to turn over. When I turn it to the run position it flashes the glow plug light, the check engine light and the service electronic throttle control light over and over. When I try to start it it cranks but won’t fire. I’m going to ask the sender for a refund as this one doesn’t seem to work. There was also a code on the ecm from the last truck, but he says it worked fine and he had no problems. Not sure what to believe but that code is bugging me and making me think there was an issue with this ECM I am unaware of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update: sorry not much interesting to update you with. Tried everything. Double checked ever injector code and the VIN. No luck getting it to turn over. When I turn it to the run position it flashes the glow plug light, the check engine light and the service electronic throttle control light over and over. When I try to start it it cranks but won’t fire. I’m going to ask the sender for a refund as this one doesn’t seem to work. There was also a code on the ecm from the last truck, but he says it worked fine and he had no problems. Not sure what to believe but that code is bugging me and making me think there was an issue with this ECM I am unaware of.
Sounds like an issue with the ECM. I just programmed a used ECM to my 2018 truck last week using Alpha and had no issues whatsoever. Make sure the seller sold you a 2017 or 18 ECM as I believe those are the only years that work on our year Rams. If I can help with anything else let me know.

Reactions: Crash68

·
Registered
247 Posts
Add another one who was able to program salvage ECM to work in their truck. I did it about a week and a half ago and had almost forgotten how dogged the factory tune was. Thanks to the gents who have provided the info here, Gputah, gtsav2006, Kazimodod and R2JJS to name a few. Truck runs and drives but keep getting P04DB fault.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if alphaobd can’t connect to the ECM - is it safe to assume to the ECM has gone bad? Rcvd a used one and alphaobd won’t connect to it. Also received a “lost communications to Telematics Gateway U1047” on BCM when I read faults which I didn’t have before attempting to flash in the “new” one. Also have the red light blinking for the anti theft as well / ABS and Traction Light... so leaning towards fried ECM > CANBUS problem?

·
Registered
411 Posts
So if alphaobd can’t connect to the ECM - is it safe to assume to the ECM has gone bad? Rcvd a used one and alphaobd won’t connect to it. Also received a “lost communications to Telematics Gateway U1047” on BCM when I read faults which I didn’t have before attempting to flash in the “new” one. Also have the red light blinking for the anti theft as well / ABS and Traction Light... so leaning towards fried ECM > CANBUS problem?
The anti-theft, ABS, Service Throttle, etc. is just due to the SKIM code because the VIN is mismatched. Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you key on? That's usually the first sign of a bad ECM.

What sort of OBD adapter are you using? The U1047 code doesn't sound related to the ECM. I've accidently powered on without an ECM connected; I don't recall the code, but that one doesn't sound familiar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hear it for a second. Tried to start it via starter and it cranks but wont turn on. If it is a mismatch Vin issue how would I go about writing the Vin + Injector codes if I can’t connect to the ECM? Visually it looks good. Connector to it looks fine. Voltage on OBD shows fine on ground and High + Low pins as well as 60ohm which to my understanding points to resistors good on modules... could it be a corrupt file or some sort of internal damage I can’t see if it is the ECM failed?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm just saying all of the lights and errors you see on the dash happens anytime a VIN doesn't match, so it's not a symptom of your issue. It happens to everyone that tries to reprogram one.

When you say for a "second" does the pump sound normal? Or do you just hear relays clicking? If you just hear relays and no pump, then either there's a lose connector or something is wrong with the ECM. What could be wrong... it's a computer, it's anyone's guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can the vin be programmed to the ecu, skm, bcm, and infotainment?
It seemed suggested that programming the ecm then resetting would allow the other modules to sync with the ecm, but would that actually write over the previous code with the new vin?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts