RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good replacement bulb for the projector headlights? One of my dims went out. My sims are the yellowish color and my brights are the bright white. Would like to get new bulbs for the dims that are about the same color as the brights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back in September one of my low beam projector bulbs went out in my 2015. Since it’s somewhat of a tedious headache to take the bulbs out, I opted in replacing both high beam and low beam in both headlights. I also replaced the fog lamps. I used the Napa replacements:
BP9005NVB2N
BP9006NVB2N
BP9012NVB2N

These are not LED.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in September one of my low beam projector bulbs went out in my 2015. Since it’s somewhat of a tedious headache to take the bulbs out, I opted in replacing both high beam and low beam in both headlights. I also replaced the fog lamps. I used the Napa replacements:
BP9005NVB2N
BP9006NVB2N
BP9012NVB2N

These are not LED.
Thanks for the suggestions. I don’t at all know how but for some reason it magically started working again. Thought just a loose connection but it didn’t go back out no matter how many bumps I hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,566 Posts
What is a good replacement bulb for the projector headlights?
What year is the truck? The OEM projectors for the '14-'15 model year use 9012 in the lows(9005 in the highs), from '16 to present use 9005 in the lows and highs.
I have Sylvania ZXE halogens in my lows and run LEDs in the highs. Yes there's a color difference but having LEDs in the highs makes a high difference with the amount of light they put out. Id I remember correctly the Diode Dynamics SL1 fir the factory high beams in the projector.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,864 Posts
I run LEDs in my 2016 in both highs and lows. I bought Sirius 9005 for the lows but they were I little to long for the dust cover to fit, so then I bought deeper dust covers from Amazon. Then I ordered Sealight Scoparc S2 9005 LEDs for the highs and they are the same size as an oem halogen and I wouldn't need the deeper dust covers had I tried then first. Great difference in night driving.
If you have a 2016 -19 just but four of the Sealight Scoparc S2 for both highs and lows. I did program to LEDs using ALFA OBD to eliminate some flicker. I can see now!!

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 253,000 KM.
1,864 Posts

@Ecosparky are these the bulbs you are referring to? Will these work in projector style?
Yes sir....they work in projector lows and non projector highs. Do you have Alfa to program the highs and lows to LED setting?

·
Premium Member
2016 Laramie 4WD Delmonico Red
155 Posts
I do have Alfa. Can you please provide any tips on programming these bulbs? Like where in the program specifically? Also, can I buy the 4 pack and use for both low and high beams?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I do have Alfa. Can you please provide any tips on programming these bulbs? Like where in the program specifically? Also, can I buy the 4 pack and use for both low and high beams?
Yes.....both low & high. You go into Body Computer then you select low beams, then you pick LED. However it was about a month ago.....but you'll find it. It was simple.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
I run LED bulbs in all the projector and fog housings, in the 6k color. Nice and white.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Yes. I have the vertical fogs which take 9006 LEDs

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
For the high beam bulbs there's not alot of room to fit in a LED bulb that has an end mounted fan as the fan will hit the housing. The Scoparc S2 have the fan built into the connector body making it the same size as the OEM halogen. Simple installation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I run LEDs in my 2016 in both highs and lows. I bought Sirius 9005 for the lows but they were I little to long for the dust cover to fit, so then I bought deeper dust covers from Amazon. Then I ordered Sealight Scoparc S2 9005 LEDs for the highs and they are the same size as an oem halogen and I wouldn't need the deeper dust covers had I tried then first. Great difference in night driving.
If you have a 2016 -19 just but four of the Sealight Scoparc S2 for both highs and lows. I did program to LEDs using ALFA OBD to eliminate some flicker. I can see now!!
@Ecosparky - can you share your post programming experience in greater detail with the SeaLite S2 bulbs?

Has the flickering been completely eliminated, or is it sufficiently infrequent its "livable"?

I didn't see any mention if a resistor was used / necessary for your 2016 truck...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Confirmed : No anti flicker device was used for highs, lows or fogs. With ALFA OBD programming to LED in all bulb positions stopped flickering altogether ON MY 2016.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Confirmed : No anti flicker device was used for highs, lows or fogs. With ALFA OBD programming to LED in all bulb positions stopped flickering altogether ON MY 2016.
Thanks for your feedback. I just ordered two sets on Amazon. There's a $20 off coupon as well. For the 9005 SeaLight S2 bulbs.

If you have access to, two different amazon accounts you can use coupon on each set. (.i. only once per account) Basically your second set is 10 bucks.

SeaLight S2 9005 Lamps

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Is there a better orientation for the LED bulb? Horizontal or vertical? or just plug and go?

·
Registered
157 Posts
youtube university says the LED diodes should shine at 9 'o clock & 3 'o clock.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
When installing the S2 LED Bulbs with the tabs aligned, the LED's are pointing at 12 and 6 o'clock on the high beam. 90 degrees off what is recommended. Is there anyway to adjust the LED bulb. Mine did not come with any tools to adjust nor does there seem to be any adjustment screws.

Edit: I can't figure out any way to adjust or install with the LED's pointing at 9 and 3 o'clock. Turned them on last night shining into my very large backyard and they were extremely bright. Not sure about the low beam pattern since my truck was pointed at nothing but a field. Will find out tonight when taking the wife and son out for dinner.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just received my set today. Haven’t tried installing yet. I was expecting a set screw to allow the led to rotate. But I did see two tiny Phillips screws behind the rubber gasket.

my guess is you can unscrew both and then rotate the tab to the next position and then retighten.

Maybe @Ecosparky can share if he adjusted his led lamps or is running them at 6 & 12 o’ clock.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts