RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last 3 cranks its gotten progressively worse engine turns over for awhile before it starts. I will say this happened directly after I filled an almost empty tank so could it be bad fuel issue? it runs fine once it does crank. I have also noticed the last few months when cranking there was a faint squeaking when cranking but it always fired right up so could this be a fuel pump issue? I checked the battery and its at 12.4v and its not having difficulty turning over. I'm worried the next time I try to crank its not going to start at all. Will postface I've had this truck for over 4 years and its my daily driver, first problem I've had with it, reading this forum maybe I got one of the good ones :)

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,617 Posts
I'd check the voltage while cranking the engine. It's possible that it's a fuel issue if this is all the same tank since you've filled up. Maybe try topping off the tank and/or change the fuel filter if it has a few miles on it

Most people come to forums to complain about something, I've ran into several EcoD owners that have had no issues with their truck and we're not on any forums

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Usually hard starting/ Long cranking times after a fill up is gasoline contamination in the diesel fuel...

I’d pull a sample of fuel to send out and get it analyzed IMMEDIATELY , Hopefully you still have the receipt where you purchased the fuel ?
After pulling the sample I’d add some fuel additive to the fuel tank for extra lubrication in case of gasoline contamination... Hopefully you’ll have no gasoline contamination....

Gasoline contamination GUARANTEED EVENTUALLY WILL kill the HPFP, around a 4-8k repair cost depending on what gets damaged...

If you’re into Facebook ,check to see if anyone else in the area is complaining like yourself about possibly bad fuel / Long cranking time from that particular fuel station .. Or maybe even start a thread , many of folks have no mechanical knowledge or idea what’s going on until it’s explained to them ....

Or you damaged the lift pump running low on fuel , does the lift pump make a whining noise ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
We had the same issue. Dealt with it about two weeks, changed filter 3 times and added diesel 911. I took the fuel solenoid off the HPFP to check the screen for debris and found none but lightly blew it out with air pressure and put a little grease on the quick connect lines and put it back together and it has worked fine since. This was in June of 2019 and hadn't had same problem since.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I noticed a longer crank leading up to my lift pump failing. Pump had also been getting quieter in the month leading up to the failure. Interestingly enough, it failed to start after filling it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
As noted above diesel contaminated with gas has been the culprit in the past. I would especially be suspect of this since it occurred after you filled up. If i were you i would get the fuel sampled as it may not kill the pump right now, but if that is the issue it will most likely shorten its life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also my battery is over 4 years old and noticed its supposed to be 14.4v, think I will go ahead and replace that anyways.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think blackstone does fuel analysis.

Your battery should not be 14.4 volts on a tester.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blackstone yes I have an oil analy test from them. So how much % gas contamination are we talking here to cause long crank problems, found this thread and guys are talking about ecodiesel owners accidently putting up to a gallons or two of gas in their tank and then just topping off with diesel and driving it with no problems Way to drain fuel tank
That much in a 26 gallon tank is 5%

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,617 Posts
Also my battery is over 4 years old and noticed its supposed to be 14.4v,
The note on the battery states the charging voltage shouldn't be over 14.4V.
A fully charged battery will be somewhere around 12.5V. If a cell is starting to faulter it won't show up until under a good load like cranking the engine.
The batteries in these trucks are an AGM type battery.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Sounds like a failing lift pump to me.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Blackstone yes I have an oil analy test from them. So how much % gas contamination are we talking here to cause long crank problems, found this thread and guys are talking about ecodiesel owners accidently putting up to a gallons or two of gas in their tank and then just topping off with diesel and driving it with no problems Way to drain fuel tank
That much in a 26 gallon tank is 5%
If it was a drip or two i guess i wouldnt worry about gas in the diesel, but even a a gallon or two i would find a way to drain the tank and refill. The issues from running it may not become readily evident at that moment but they may affect the long term of the engine. My buddy put diesel in a ford v-10 work truck it died. We pumped the fuel out got it started on new gas and it ran and sounded fine. 2,000 miles later the engine blew and left him on the side of the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same problem a year ago, decided I had a bad tank of fuel, ran it down 5 gallons and refueled multiple time, fixed it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's kind of scary all the crap that can get into your tank. A couple of years ago I was at a local auto repair shop on the weekend and there was an out of state couple in the waiting room waiting on their Subaru. I asked them what was wrong with it and they said it died shortly after getting gas a local place and wont start (very new car). Come to find out the local auto repair shop pulled some samples from the tank and found larges amounts of water in the gas, they ended up draining the entire tank. With fresh gas from a different place the car started.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Friend of mine lost the Cummins in his 3500 Cummins due to water and mud. If you can make it work, think about getting a bulk tank at your house or shop. I have my own 275 gallon bulk tank, buy from an excellent supplier, and run it thru a 2 micron filter before it hits my tank. I get a report of what cetane and % of biodiesel in each lot, as well. I would get your battery load tested before replacing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a failing lift pump to me.
I'm starting to think this might be it, I didn't have it do it again until late sunday and it wasn't a super long crank just a little longer than normal. If I switch the key to on position and wait for the pump sound at the back to stop it always cranks as normal but if I jump in and hit the start right away is when I sometimes have the long crank. How long does the pump run normally when you put it in the run position, I went back there and listened like you do when you do a fuel filter change to re-prime and it seemed like it ran a long time before it stopped. Went ahead and swapped to a new battery too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will say this happened directly after I filled an almost empty tank so could it be bad fuel issue? it runs fine once it does crank. I have also noticed the last few months when cranking there was a faint squeaking when cranking but it always fired right up so could this be a fuel pump issue? [\QUOTE]

I posted similar issues with my 2014 Ecodiesel a couple of years ago. Exact symptoms as above, always after refilling an almost empty fuel tank. Finally had it diagnosed by the dealership as the lift pump and they replaced in under warranty. Absolutely no problems since. I no longer allow the tank to get below the quarter tank mark. I’m convinced that was what led to the premature failure of my lift pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts