RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had three punctures of the OE GoodYear Wrangler SR-A tires in the 20,000 miles and 10 months I've owned the truck. One nail, one #2 Phillips driver bit, and the third is unknown. Two on the right side, one on the left. They were all in the front when the puncture occurred. They have all been properly fixed at Discount Tire. I'm happy that this truck has TPMS. It has saved me from possibly ruining three tires. I drive on the highway 99% of the time. I've never had this many punctures on any other vehicle I've owned in my 31 years of vehicle ownership.
IMG_1417.JPG

Anyone else have these puncture problems with the OE Wranglers, or should I just chalk it up to bad luck?

·
Registered
258 Posts
What, those tires can go 25k miles? Mine came from factory with so little tread I thought I would only get 10K Miles. What distance should we expect from these tires?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Lance,

i have 15,000 plus or minus on mine with no problem. Surprised you got punctures in the front. Virtually every puncture I have gotten in the last 50 years has been in the back. I always theorized that the front tires flipped the nail or screw up so it could puncture the back.

I agree ref the pressure monitoring. Steering and suspension is so good that without it, by the time you realize a tire is flat it is ruined.

Reference mileage I think these tires will deliver 40,000 miles to the wear bars if kept properly inflated and rotated periodically.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm almost to 27k on the oe wranglers and the only issue so far was that I had to add air in one tire Friday morning when the schrader (probably spelled wrong) valve stuck when checking pressures before a road trip. Good reminder to check for dirt before hooking into valve stem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My dads gravel driveway got me. Very low speed just turning around. Of course those tires are long gone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had a puncture on my last set. Pretty good bolt. Not terribly impressed with the SRA's and Tirerack.com does not rate them well. I will wear them down and than get something better.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I planned on running mine for awhile. That ended before I owned the truck 24 hrs. Had my 2 yr old in the back seat looking at a duck hunting spot and punched a hole so big on gravel I barely had time to find a flat spot to park. It had been years since I had a flat. The tires went bye bye that afternoon. I think if you own a pavement princess you will be fine with the OEM tires. If you live in the country and like to hunt/fish the tire shop would be the first place I'd go when I leave the lot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My truck didn't make it to 6k miles before I ruined one on a gravel road. I put some XL 20's on it then and later swapped to some 10 ply 17's I'm not worried anymore. Seems like my buddies ford had the same tires in the 18" size and he slowly replaced all with 10 plies as they were damaged on gravel roads.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your replies. As I stated in the first post, I have never driven this truck on gravel or other unimproved surface. If that were something I was going to do on a regular basis, I would surely get different tires immediately. I was also surprised that the punctures were in the front, but this truck is very near the FAWR just driving around unloaded. I'm shopping for new tires because I don't want to be on vacation towing our Airstream and have a puncture or other problem. I need more confidence in the tires.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I recently swapped out my winter tires and put the SRA's back on for the summer. I had them mounted on new wheels. My mechanic said the tires were junk, took him 6-8 oz of weight each on 3 of the 4 tires to balance them.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recently swapped out my winter tires and put the SRA's back on for the summer. I had them mounted on new wheels. My mechanic said the tires were junk, took him 6-8 oz of weight each on 3 of the 4 tires to balance them.
Are you sure it isn't the wheels?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am curious, the 20 inch tires are P rated yes? If so, that is some of the problem. Just make sure and get LT tires when you replace.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lt rated tires would solve the problem but there are only a few options in the stock size and they cost more than other sizes.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the 20" OE GoodYears are "P" tires.
LT tires would probably solve the puncture problems, but bring on a few undesirable traits like a harsher ride, decreased fuel economy and initial cost. I really don't see the need to "over spec" the tires.

I would like to get another year out of these tires since they are wearing very well, they are quiet, handle well and offer a very nice ride. If it weren't for the punctures, I would rate these tires five stars.

I'm looking at the GoodYear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar. The GoodYear Adventure is not a "P" tire, nor an LT but a Euro Metric spec with a 51 PSI max inflation and a bit higher #2,679 load capacity.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had a 3/8" puncture on my left rear when the truck was a month old. They were able to salvage the tire using a plug and a patch but because it was so close to the sidewall, I opted to swap the rubber onto the spare rim.

I've got 30,000 km (20K mi) on them now. They will last for the summer but probably won't see winter. I'll be switching to Goodyear Duratrac's this fall.

I've never been able to get more than a year of driving on a truck with passenger car tires. The LT's seem to last a lot longer and are much more resistant to punctures.

·
Registered
506 Posts
15,500 miles and I've had 2 punctures. Both on rear, one on each side. Ran over a sheet metal screw at our snowbird home in Fl. Got another screw at the storage barn where my travel trailer spent the winter. In both cases the TPMS alerted me to low pressure the next morning.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts