RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a dealer in Butler, MO & Belleville, IL yesterday. From an ordering standpoint, both were not committed to a date other than to say late Jan through Feb 2014. Neither had any info on the ecodiesel, which is surprising. Iv'e always been a Ford & Toyota person> the lack of solid information at the dealer level is a large concern & unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Your concerns are warranted. In this year's JD Power survey on car dealer customer satisfaction, Jeep and Ram were at the bottom of the ratings. GMC was on top. The only other brands above average that make trucks were Chevy and Nissan. *

All I can say is that none of the auto manufacturers seem particularly open to me. At the dealer level I think there is a wide range of competence and knowledge. Customer satisfaction has a lot to do with which dealer you work with and who you know there. If you find a good dealer--whatever the brand--it is important to nurture that relationship because they can make or break your overall experience. I'm lucky to have a pretty good dealer locally which is fortunate because there are not many choices in the region. I even got to test drive a preproduction Ram 1500 EcoDiesel because of my dealer.

That said, it is surprising that Ram has not been more active in educating dealers on the EcoDiesel. Perhaps they are afraid of generating too much demand they can not meet. As for ordering, Ram is tight-lipped so it is better for the dealers to say they don't know than to make up dates. There is much technical info out there so it is up to the dealers to learn about just as we do. Forums like this help.

* Added info 12/16: A different kind of satisfaction survey of individual models is done by Consumer Reports where they ask owners if they would get the same truck if they had to do it all over again. Their most recent rating has the Chevrolet, GMC and Ford HD diesel pickups on top (gas models did not do nearly as well). For 4WD half-ton pickups the highest rated are Ford and Toyota V8s with Ram and Chevy/GMC well behind, and Nissan bringing up the rear.

A few of the Rams at my local dealer.
ram truck lot.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tim, I would agree, there are times where it almost seems the manufacturers keep the dealers in the dark intentionally. And add to it that many of the sales folks are not well informed. In our area, there was one sales guy, well educated, smart guy, who knew about the A630 motor before any of the dealers, and I called each dealer in the Pittsburgh Pa area. Luckily that dealer is the closest to my home.
I would think it's like any line of work, some sales people make it their business to know the products, and read, learn, and some do not. I would agree that it's a source of frustration not to get clear, definitive answers when you ask a question at a dealership.

Bigfoot was able to procure a drive in a pre-production Ram 1500, which is good from his dealer to recognize an educated customer, and diesel fan.

I was one of the first in our area way back, to test drive an Ecoboost ford... and it ran great, but my reservations were then what they are now... boost = air and fuel... and the mileage is/was not what it was cracked up to be.....

My hesitation on the Ram is just getting over buying a first year model.... Not sure if my concerns are real, or just that my family had personal experience with some first year duds (Ford 6.0).

Tim it appears this forum has a core of folks that is interested in diesels, and this one in particular... the posts have been sparse because there is really not much to post about, until the date is confirmed, but the forum is a good source of info. Stay Tuned ! in my mind I almost can't justify an ecodiesel Ram vs the hemi, from financial terms, since in Pa cost of diesel this week was 75 cents per gallon higher.....
My decision will be based on how I like the motor/tranny together in the Ram, and if I think it's a vehicle that I will like for 5-7-9 years....
Looks like we'll all know here in a few months.

Marsman

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am visiting in Vancouver BC and stopped in at a Ram dealer today. I asked them if they had heard when we can expect the Ram ED. They told me they just heard they won't be able to order now until April, 2014 with June/July delivery. I hope they are wrong but if that is the case I hope they would be 2015 models. Don't think I would order a 2014 that close to the end of the model year.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am visiting in Vancouver BC and stopped in at a Ram dealer today. I asked them if they had heard when we can expect the Ram ED. They told me they just heard they won't be able to order now until April, 2014 with June/July delivery. I hope they are wrong but if that is the case I hope they would be 2015 models. Don't think I would order a 2014 that close to the end of the model year.
ack-billthecat.gif

I'm patient but didn't really want to wait that long!

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Tried to order a 1500 diesel from Firkins in Bradenton, Fl. They took a credit card for a deposit and DID have some ordering information. Essentially it was the same as what I can get and gave them from the Ram site. Sales manager's computer did not show the model. His inquiry came back "late January". That was a couple weeks ago.

My Cummins has 210,000 miles on it. Time to change.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Tried to order a 1500 diesel from Firkins in Bradenton, Fl. They took a credit card for a deposit and DID have some ordering information. Essentially it was the same as what I can get and gave them from the Ram site. Sales manager's computer did not show the model. His inquiry came back "late January". That was a couple weeks ago.

My Cummins has 210,000 miles on it. Time to change.
Welcome, Captainmal, that info seems consistent with the currently projected start date of January 20. If that date holds then ordering should begin in early January, only a couple of weeks away. We'll see.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Captain if you are one of the first on the forum to buy the Ram diesel, keep us posted on your thoughts and experience, real world milage. Hats off, bold step doing a credit card deposit, good job ! Best of luck, I am probably a few months behind you !

Big Foot, thanks for the assist.

Marsman

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
That's one reason I signed up.

According to the manager at Firkins, they will only start to take the orders late January. He told me it will be late March/April for delivery.

I have spoken with multiple dealers. One sales manager at Wells in Avon Park made it clear to me..."First run only builds 600 trucks". That's what he said.

He also mentioned, as did the Firkins mgr, Ram would delay taking orders for dealer stock until after they were able to deal with customer demand orders. If such were true (rumors all), then to actually see one in a dealer showroom for sale would really be delayed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Read a very informative thread on a 2014 ram forum. I guy bought a Laramie loaded. Then bought a 28 foot camper. The truck was not handling well pulling it. I posted some questions on the thread and things got interesting. After some info from posters he looked into drivers door and found the payload on his model was 808lbs. His trailer was 5500lbs dry wait. 10% of that is 550lbs tongue weight. 10-15% is the recommended. His family in the truck is 500lbs. He is now at 1050lbs with nothing in the bed. The truck could easily pull the weight but was way over payload. After talking to dealer he had to return his new trailer and move down to a 24 foot I believe it was. Funny thing was he read online the payload of that truck was well over 1000lbs. The sticker in the door from factory is the real number and his was 808lbs. I am thinking that the diesel is going to way over power what truck can handle. I know someone on here will talk about weight distribution trailer systems. They just move some weight to front axle of truck. Still counts on payload regardless what axle is holding the weight. Just FYI. Do some research to find out the payloads for your truck. Not online numbers. Numbers from door stickers of people that have them. Then subtract 100bls for diesel and 150lbs for def and emissions system. That means payload for a loaded Laramie 1500 deisel is about 550lbs. I didn't see anywhere that they were using heavy duty suspensions in the ecodeisel. The 808lbs is a real world fact. The 550lbs is my calculation based on weights I have read for diesel and def system. Either way the truck can't handle the 10-15% tongue weight of the 7200lb tow rating plus passengers plus bed cargo.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I do wish they would offer the 3.0 in a HD half ton or maybe the 5.0 Cummins in a 2500! I think Ford and Chevy both used to have HD half ton trucks in addition to the half-tons.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Fireboy - I agree.

Think you may have missed a couple zero's (0) but the idea is very correct. A 1/2 ton truck is NOT much of a heavy towing vehicle.

My 2500 Cummins will and has TOWED. I do not expect my new 1500 diesel to be anywhere near what my current truck is.

Heck, if towing capacity is the main issue then all the 1500's are out. When towing less than 7K even the gas V6 will do if you don't overdo it often. Even the cost of gas, it's better fuel mileage today and the high cost of diesel with the addition of that DER fluid, makes you think.

Doubt this new truck will do heavy towing or cost less to operate in the long run over a gas one. It's just that it will tow and it's "a diesel". That's something I have had for over two decades and just can't seem to want to deal with gas vehicles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The order banks in Canada are open. I just purchased one today. Big Horn Ecodiesel Crew Cab. My dealer called me yesterday out of the blue and told me to come in and order it.

This wasn't just a deposit but I watched them actually submit the order on-line. No info yet on delivery dates etc. but I think i'm one of the first in the queue.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fireboy - I agree.

Think you may have missed a couple zero's (0) but the idea is very correct. A 1/2 ton truck is NOT much of a heavy towing vehicle.

My 2500 Cummins will and has TOWED. I do not expect my new 1500 diesel to be anywhere near what my current truck is.

Heck, if towing capacity is the main issue then all the 1500's are out. When towing less than 7K even the gas V6 will do if you don't overdo it often. Even the cost of gas, it's better fuel mileage today and the high cost of diesel with the addition of that DER fluid, makes you think.

Doubt this new truck will do heavy towing or cost less to operate in the long run over a gas one. It's just that it will tow and it's "a diesel". That's something I have had for over two decades and just can't seem to want to deal with gas vehicles.
I just read my post. I didn't miss any zeros. Those are payload numbers not tow numbers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The order banks in Canada are open. I just purchased one today. Big Horn Ecodiesel Crew Cab. My dealer called me yesterday out of the blue and told me to come in and order it.

This wasn't just a deposit but I watched them actually submit the order on-line. No info yet on delivery dates etc. but I think i'm one of the first in the queue.
Where are you located. I just called my dealer and they said orders in late January. They can build the truck on their computers but even if they hit the submit button it will not submit the order. I am also in canada. My dealer said orders cannot be excepted by factory until EPA numbers come in and pricing is set. The engine has not even passed emissions standards yet let alone completed EPA testing. My brother in-law has a connection at the michigan plant and he says there are not even any eco engines at the plant. Can you post the dealer you ordered from.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
...Do some research to find out the payloads for your truck. Not online numbers. Numbers from door stickers of people that have them. Then subtract 100bls for diesel and 150lbs for def and emissions system. That means payload for a loaded Laramie 1500 deisel is about 550lbs. I didn't see anywhere that they were using heavy duty suspensions in the ecodeisel. The 808lbs is a real world fact. The 550lbs is my calculation based on weights I have read for diesel and def system. Either way the truck can't handle the 10-15% tongue weight of the 7200lb tow rating plus passengers plus bed cargo.
Good advice. According to the Towing Charts the diesel decreases payload rating by anything from 80 to 230 lbs compared to a Hemi and up to 650 lbs compared to a Pentastar depending on the model configuration. The diesel payload rating for a base model before adding options ranges from 770 lbs to 1630 lbs. IOW, we need to be fully aware of what we plan to carry and order an appropriate truck. Few dealers will be much help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Fireboy, good point on the door sticker, that's a lesson, for anyone towing with a half ton, where the trailer weight approaches the upper limit of the truck.....

Also on the fact that the 3.0 motor will likely be very capable.
Look at this link, Cummins Timeline | Horsepower & Torque by Model Year

We have had 3 Cummins' in our family, a 2000, 2006 (shown in the picture nephew owns it now), and brother bought a 2012.
IN 2000, THE HORSEPOWER RATING OF THE CUMMINS 5.9 WITH THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, WAS 215 HP, AND 420 lb ft, torque.

This was 14 years ago, with the big inline 5.9. So yes this little motor will be plenty capable.within the posted capacity of the truck, chassis, and transmission.

Also, that in part why I think the Cummins 5.0 (and I really like Cummins motors) may be too much for a half ton chassis...

Pinning my optimism on this little 3.0 Ram diesel,... was encouraged with my test drive in the jeep, will see what it's like in the truck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
ECODeiselcanada----what was the option price for the ecodeisel. And is that price over the price of pentastar or hemi.
$4500 over the Pentastar. But you also have to get the 8 speed transmission which is another $1000.

They applied all current Canadian discounts. $8500 + $1500 holiday bonus cash. Then I got employee pricing as well. I've been working with the same dealer for over 20 years and have purchased over 30 vehicles in that time frame (mostly business vehicles).

I don't negotiate price any more. I usually just get their best price right away.

I was kind of expecting to pay a premium because of the excitement of the EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
$4500 over the Pentastar. But you also have to get the 8 speed transmission which is another $1000.

They applied all current Canadian discounts. $8500 + $1500 holiday bonus cash. Then I got employee pricing as well. I've been working with the same dealer for over 20 years and have purchased over 30 vehicles in that time frame (mostly business vehicles).

I don't negotiate price any more. I usually just get their best price right away.

I was kind of expecting to pay a premium because of the excitement of the EcoDiesel.
So they are charging $500 less then the cherokee for same engine? Can I have the name and location of your dealer. My dealer would like to give them a call to find out how they did this order. My dealer has no info on orders opening and he called today. Was told there is nothing new on dates. I am on dodges email list and have heard nothing. Just seems odd that your dealer is the only one that can order. Not questioning you. I am questioning what your dealer is telling you. The pricing is not out yet for canada and that is info from Chrysler management earlier this week. I guess I will see what my dealer says after they call your dealer. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts