RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I am thinking of purchasing a 2015 Ram Laramie w/59k, but an absolutely clean 1-owner truck listed for $29k. I know there is forum panic and things I need to educate myself on. However, the carfax is clean and only regular maintenance at the same dealer by the same owner.

I couldn't help but notice that this vehicle is up for sale just before the extended warranty ends - so it does make me beg the question. I have a test drive scheduled for tomorrow. Anything I absolutely need to look for, any shortcut tests that might be useful for spotting impending doom?

Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi All:
I am thinking of purchasing a 2015 Ram Laramie w/59k, but an absolutely clean 1-owner truck listed for $29k. I know there is forum panic and things I need to educate myself on. However, the carfax is clean and only regular maintenance at the same dealer by the same owner.

I couldn't help but notice that this vehicle is up for sale just before the extended warranty ends - so it does make me beg the question. I have a test drive scheduled for tomorrow. Anything I absolutely need to look for, any shortcut tests that might be useful for spotting impending doom?

Cheers
I can't help with the impending doom. I have a '15 as well, Laramie Version, with 48K miles. It just runs as it should. Never an issue with the recalls, ran just as well after if not better. Dealer changes the oil and rotates tires every 5K miles, and that is it. One of these days I will change the fuel filter, just haven't done it yet. It has some pending recalls for wich parts have not been available. I will find out where we stand on that next oil change in about 1K miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help with the impending doom. I have a '15 as well, Laramie Version, with 48K miles. It just runs as it should. Never an issue with the recalls, ran just as well after if not better. Dealer changes the oil and rotates tires every 5K miles, and that is it. One of these days I will change the fuel filter, just haven't done it yet. It has some pending recalls for wich parts have not been available. I will find out where we stand on that next oil change in about 1K miles.
Thanks, it's easy to get lost in the perils of other peoples stories. But, going to test drive later today - likely going to be bringing it home with me. It seems to had the VA7 recall done in April, needs the EGR but the FCA dealer around me said he has a few parts in stock (at least on first call).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I also have a 15 Laramie with 49k on it. Hands down the best truck I've ever owned. Most people use the forum only when they have problems, so yes you will see many saying negative things but you have to remember that there are
hundred of thousands of trucks out there and most are doing fine.
Many will sell a vehicle when warranty's are up or at a certain mileage.
Sounds like a good deal. Good luck, hope to see you here with your new truck!

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
45 Posts
welcome, i recently bought a 2016 w/60kmi (trouble-free) on the clock, i bought from family and it saved me a bunch, plus a lower cost /equipped truck (big horn), i gave him a offer that was better than his trade in offer, didn't want to "beat him up"(y) and we both felt it was "fair" .....my plans are to delete and purchase a tune, i know some people love the idea others cringe when mentioned, but i think this platform has been plagued by the same thing that has claimed others with the mandated EGR stuff, this is my 8th diesel if you count the 79 olds cutlass i owned :oops: :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: the others have been one 7.3 ford with the remainder dodge with 5.9 CTD, and an 04 VW Jetta TDI, so i like diesel, that said i am loving my ECO, pulls good (the heaviest load so far around 6500-7k), fantastic fuel mileage, ride and drives great

if i chose a non-deleted option it would be the GDE tune to at least clean things up a little, best of luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! Definitely good to hear there are plenty of happy Eco'ers. The primary purpose for this truck will be long road trips, but there will definitely be the occasional run-around-town needs. Thus, I see the advantage of getting the EGR replaced (plus from what I understand extends the warranty, along with the VA7) then considering the GDE tune for keeping in running clean under all conditions into the future. Although still trying understand the differences between the pre/post EPA GDE tunes, and all the other options out there.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
.... Although still trying understand the differences between the pre/post EPA GDE tunes, and all the other options out there.
pre EPA crackdown GDE tune : the possibility for the EGR to send exhaust in the Intake manifold was turned off completely .
to get a tune like pre-crackdown GDE tune , you will need to buy a tune from Canada : HD Diesel Supply tune
to please EPA , GDE can't sell that anymore , only GDE knows how much of a difference this new tune will be on getting soot
in the oil , you can be sure GDE's new tune will be A LOT better than the stock tune designed to inject soot at wrong moments
just to make engine "quieter " , that stock tune ceates a lot of soot for wrong reasons , that is corrected by GDE along with
many other benefits , tuning can be considered better than an extended warranty in my eyes.
---
I see the comparaison as :
you hiring an employee who smokes 3 packs a day but you get him health insurance , or , you hire a healthy employee .
versus ;
stock tune with extended warranty , or GDE tuned .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, that helps. So if I went to get the EGR replaced, but then did the tune you mentioned. Best of both worlds? Just swap the ecu's before any further maintenance w/dealer?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
terratenney , you speak of swapping ECM , did you put your hands on an old style GDE tuned ECM ??
because from now on there is going to be no swapping ECM , the tunes , and going from tuned to stock will
be done with the hand held tool , if you do have a pre-crackdown GDE tuned ECM that works with your truck ,
and are planning to flash your Vin number and injector codes to that ECM , then yes , just swap stock tune for
dealer visit , and put tuned ECM when you get home .
the ONLY inconvenient to that , in USA , is that you will not be able to get the transmission tune to
match the pre-crackdown GDE hot tune .
----
getting the Beefier recall EGR is a must if you decide not to remove it .
suppose not to fail due to heat fatigue cracks inside the unit .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, but would the aftermarket tunes still work with the recall done? My thinking being it would get that smokers cough insurance for any damage done and then I make it go cold turkey after by getting a tune installed.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
LOL cold Turkey ...
more like smoker who stops smoking , human body will eliminate the black lungs slowly , but in
the truck the soot deposits will not disappear , but no more addition ,
if truck is running well , then soot deposits have not started to ruin the small plastic parts in the Intake .
--------
your question in last post :
not only would it work after the recall done , but it is actually a necessity that you get the latest
flash in the module (ECM ) before getting the latest style GDE tune , once everything is updated in your ECM
by the dealer , you then use the tool you purchase from GDE, to load the truck's tune on the tool , then you send GDE the
info you loaded on the tool via email , and they email back to you the same latest stock tune , containing the
GDE tweaks and modifications that you then load to your truck 's ECM .
---
the "complicated to me " use of that tool is explained in their install PDF file .
link provided by GDE to get files on new tune install
includes one file to go around the " gateway firewall on newer trucks "
post # 123 , in here :
EPA compliant tunes coming soon

EcoDiesel Info Repository - Google Drive
pdf file here :

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it and then the new GDE tune may not be as spectacular as the Canadian company. Which having lived in Canada i know there are somemore sensible regs.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
the pre crackdown GDE tune is Gold ,
when they were busted , GDE recommended the canadian company because they sell a very comparable tune to what
they cannot sell in USA anymore .
see
post # 9 from GDE about HD Diesel Supply

Out With One - In With SFT

to my understanding they operate with a hand held tool purchase too
and you don't need a second ECM anymore , just swap tunes with hand held divice for dealer visits .

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks, it's easy to get lost in the perils of other peoples stories. But, going to test drive later today - likely going to be bringing it home with me. It seems to had the VA7 recall done in April, needs the EGR but the FCA dealer around me said he has a few parts in stock (at least on first call).
You are welcome. We also have a '14 and'15 Jeep grand Cherokees with the same engine, and zero issues. My daughter has got to be pushing 100K miles by now on her '14. I need to ask her

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All:

Cheers
I purchased a 2015 Eco-Diesel new My Eco experienced a catastrophic engine failure at about 72,500 miles on March 30 of this year due to a timing gear slippage. Researching over the internet I found a Ram Service Manager in NC that said a similar failure had occurred in about 20% of the Eco's his dealership had sold between 70,000 to 75,000 miles. Other than that, they are good engines. FCA replaced mine. I did see pics of a similar failure at 145,000 and the engine internals were immaculate except for the timing gear shavings in the oil. I still love the truck. I have never bought extended warranties on anything but might consider doing so next time I buy a another vehicle. Unfortunately none of the auto/truck review magazines ever mention such things since most are little more than paid advertisers and rarely warn consumers about things they need to be aware of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All:

Cheers
I own a 2015 Laramie w/72K. I love the truck. Easy to drive. Great gas mileage and never given me a problem. I do have one minor complaint. It takes a mile or 2 to warm up the transmission. During that warm up period the throttle is delayed. Press it down and I can count to 3 before it goes. That can seem like an eternity if in traffic. Once warm it behaves as expected. In the winter I use the auto-start so I don't notice it. I do have a recall I am still waiting for parts on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had come across the timing gear slippage issue as well, but didn't know it was a systematic thing. I suppose there is no way to know either, other than when it happens. And that applies to any car, just hopefully this one is not in that 20%.

I've already noticed FCA dealer double talking on the recall for VB1 - needs to "get inspected" before they'll even order the part, which itself has been several different stories in the making.

I've already spoke with the folks at HD Diesel - I notice a little lag but figure a good tune and maybe a throttle controller (if even necessary) will solve that out. The HD tech did mention part of the delay is on purpose as a safety measure for the turbo veins - if they're not open when you punch it the pressure will blow things apart. So, I don't want to work too hard in totally eliminating it. Also, I'll just give myself a bit more time before pulling out into traffic until I get to know the truck better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts