RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already own a Jeep GC ED and love it.
Need MORE towing capacity though and found a 1500 ED
45K, 11K miles, limited trim, 3.92 rear. Looks like it had one of the early high pressure fuel pump failures and has been serviced.

I do plan on keeping this for 15+ years as I kept my F150 gasser that long.
Any gotchas with the lemon title or future service needs?

·
Registered
774 Posts
How long is the warranty on these ? I always "thought" the warranty might be above and beyond that of the regular warranty "just B/C". They had to buy it back for a reason but that doesn't mean its not fixed and good to go...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long is the warranty on these ? I always "thought" the warranty might be above and beyond that of the regular warranty "just B/C". They had to buy it back for a reason but that doesn't mean its not fixed and good to go...
Dealer says FCA buybacks get a 1 year Bumper to Bumper warranty. However, this is redundant because it's still got the 3/36 and 5/100 coverage.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Welcome to the forum Steve. I just say the Blue Angels? fly around our house near Dayton Ohio for the airshow. What year is this ED?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why in the world would you want to buy a truck with a lemon title? That to me is just asking for it.
Because I'm a cheap-son-of-a-bitch. This vehicle came from CA where you can say anything is wrong and the AG will force a buyback, true or not. More importantly saving 10-15k is more important than my ego.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Because I'm a cheap-son-of-a-bitch. This vehicle came from CA where you can say anything is wrong and the AG will force a buyback, true or not. More importantly saving 10-15k is more important than my ego.
Hi: CaptainSteve... WELCOME. As long as "Hindsight" isn't 2020. You already know it takes more maintenance to own an Ecodiesel!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Many things to consider:

Primary is identifying the 'cause' of buyback, carfax may help with this.

Key points the 2020 is an excellent generation for the EcoD with no known major issues.

Some good detective work is your best insurance, which if this is a rebuilt title situation it may not be insurable with certain major insurance companies. I would say avoid: flood, major accident or frame damage regardless of brand, this could just be a 3 strikes and out type situation (issue where problem was not corrected after 3 attempts).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had a truck before that was a lemon and you will think 10-15k more would have been cheap to get a good one. You should also think about the miles on the truck 11k is not right for a almost 3 year old truck. That truck should have around 30k so that saying it’s been setting at a dealership shop. Plus for around 45k you could get a tradesman, warlock, and a big horn gas new with more warranty. They are not giving you a good enough deal to take a 45k gamble.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Many things to consider:

Primary is identifying the 'cause' of buyback, carfax may help with this.

Key points the 2020 is an excellent generation for the EcoD with no known major issues.

Some good detective work is your best insurance, which if this is a rebuilt title situation it may not be insurable with certain major insurance companies. I would say avoid: flood, major accident or frame damage regardless of brand, this could just be a 3 strikes and out type situation (issue where problem was not corrected after 3 attempts).

Good Luck.
man flood cars are the absolute worst, When I was turning wrenches I bought and sold two, both were highly desirable sports cars and I sold both very quickly, but I ended up working on them for YEARS, anything and everything electrical either had to be or needed to be replaced, mechanically they were pretty good cars, I would consider anything over a fire or flood vehicle though.....

Reactions: TexasJoe

·
Registered
542 Posts
You should also think about the miles on the truck 11k is not right for a almost 3 year old truck. That truck should have around 30k so that saying it’s been setting at a dealership shop.
Unless you know history of vehicle mileage is meaningless. I just bought a 2010 Tahoe off my neighbor with less than 28,000 miles. He only used it to take family (and dogs) to his cabin a few times a year. Sat in his garage the rest of the time. I know several other people who put less than 5000 miles a year on vehicle. They own multiple vehicles and drive company trucks.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hi: CaptainSteve... "Sunny beaches"... There's two of us on this forum!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
566 Posts
Dealer says FCA buybacks get a 1 year Bumper to Bumper warranty. However, this is redundant because it's still got the 3/36 and 5/100 coverage.
Would it be a rebuilt or salvage title as some are assuming? It could have been a buyback because parts unavailability caused long repair times, I think, and that alone wouldn't scare me.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With a little research and help, I discovered this went to the dealer twice for the radio and once for the fuel pump issue before the recall. In CA that qualifies for a buyback (where this truck was originally sold). Since all the FCA vehicles with the CP4 fuel pump are under recall, I'm going to pull the trigger on this one.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
With a little research and help, I discovered this went to the dealer twice for the radio and once for the fuel pump issue before the recall. In CA that qualifies for a buyback (where this truck was originally sold). Since all the FCA vehicles with the CP4 fuel pump are under recall, I'm going to pull the trigger on this one.
Glad you were able to zero in on the exact issues with the truck. Sound's like you found a keeper, the fuel pump supply issue will be resolved with time Bosch does make quality parts. Hope you'll throw up some pictures once you pull the trigger, here's to many years of service on the best generation of EcoD to date.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,582 Posts
As a VW owner, I would make sure that the fuel pump fix was complete with fuel line and glow plug.injector replacements. If the fuel pump goes, it sends shrapnel through the whole fuel system. I would double check on the warranty coverage. With it already having a buyback, the 12 month/12k mile warranty may supersede the original 3/36k warranty.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As a VW owner, I would make sure that the fuel pump fix was complete with fuel line and glow plug.injector replacements. If the fuel pump goes, it sends shrapnel through the whole fuel system. I would double check on the warranty coverage. With it already having a buyback, the 12 month/12k mile warranty may supersede the original 3/36k warranty.
I have a 2012 TDI Golf same fuel pump as yours?

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,582 Posts
yes, all common rail diesels sold since 2007 use the CP4. Mercedes, BMW, VW, Mazda, The exceptions are/were the heavy duties that stayed with the CP3 for a few years before switching and Chevy trucks that used the Denso (?) pump. I don't know what was used in the Chevy Cruise diesel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts