RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the extra 5/100 warranty at the time of purchase but recently started thinking about extending it to 7/160... however the price of this seems to be steep for an extra 2 years.
Has anyone here done this previously? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the price for the extended warranty?

For the last Wrangler we purchased, I did the math, and found that the extended warranty was not worth it at all (came close to 7k with taxes and interest of having it on the load). That's a shit ton of repairs before it pays for itself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i paid $2165 for 7 years and 125,000 , i bought it from Diane Roach
Chrysler Warranty Direct
1-888-352-6103
Chryslerwarrantydirect.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer is telling me it costs around $5500 to upgrade from 5/100 to 7/160 which seems like a load of BS to me!
Thanks for the info and link - I wonder if that is valid in Canada also...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Cancel the warranty you bought from the dealer and get the 8-125,000 aftermarket, but it's a solid Chrysler product. I waited until 30,000 miles but got one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible to cancel an existing extended warranty purchased from a dealership if not using it yet? I emailed my dealership about it and they are saying it isn't.... which to me seems wrong since it hasn't even been used yet.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is it possible to cancel an existing extended warranty purchased from a dealership if not using it yet? I emailed my dealership about it and they are saying it isn't.... which to me seems wrong since it hasn't even been used yet.
FCA Canada?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His price was pretty damn good I must say... only problem now is trying to get current one refunded from dealer or getting them to match the price and just charge me the difference if they are unwilling to refund me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Paid $2900 at Toronto dealer for 5/100km. Business manager told me I will get $ back if I don't use extended plan for repairs. Was he BSing me? It's possible since I have never heard of such service contract deals.
I'm at 80000km and asked about an upgrade to 200000km and another 4yrs .
Price $4960CDN
I've said thanks but no thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the aftermarket warranty with a refund of $1900 in Aug 2019 as long as the truck is still plated and owned by me. The company was sold me by the dealer. I had to have some things repaired CV drive shaft and a couple other things- the warranty only covered bits and pieces and % of repair costs. Plus once its used you lose the refund...

If I was gonna do it again, i would buy the Ram warranty as there is no deductible and it pays for 100% of the repairs...

Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
All the vehicles I had bought with extended warranty (GM and Ram) I just used the warranty sold by the dealer. No deductibles and no questions asked. Never had any issues with a thing. I did not opt for the extended warranty on my 3500 as it was over 4000$ and only brought the chassis/drivetrain up to 100,000km, which in my case might buy me a year and a half. My engine/trans has factory to 160,000km.

You have to do a risk assessment on things. Is that extra cost and possibly restrictions worth it? What or how much of a repair are you going to still have to cover? What are the usual items that fail after warranty and can you fix them yourself for cheaper?

I figured that I would have a good idea of how my chassis/drivetrain was behaving in the first 60,000km. There is usually an emissions warranty that is separate (if not covered and I have an issue, delete will be happening), the big ticket items on my truck are the engine and transmission but the Cummins gets 160K as does the AS69RC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the dealership bumper to bumper $0 deductible warranty, it was pricey around $5000 but my 2014 is now completely covered until 2021 or 160,000km. All I have to say is thank god I bought it! I have owned this truck for just over 2 years and has been at the dealership for repairs 15 times (no exaggeration) just counted up my receipts. And everything has been completely covered by the warranty. It has paid for itself and then some already. Replaced 3 compressors for the Air Suspension at $3000/fix in itself paid for it. Then there were all the sensor problems, 2 DEF pumps, heated seat not working, sun roof issues and ETC problems which are the worst as the truck goes into limp mode. So ya I would totally buy the extended warranty no hesitation or questions asked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts