RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, looking for some input from everyone.

I ran across a 2014 Ram Limited Ecodiesel with 125,000 miles on it. It had a new complete engine installed about 2,000 miles ago (I have a seen the paperwork for the repair).

Truck is in immaculate condition, but am a bit apprehensive about buying one of these trucks due to all the engine issues. The truck does have a 3 year/100K engine warranty.

I have read a lot about timing gear failure, bottom end failures, etc.

With that many miles, are there other issues I need to look out for? DPF, SCR, ect.

I am not new to diesels, I have owned 2 duramax's and currently on my 2nd Ram Cummins, just new to the ecodiesel.

Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
The power of the internet has stung you! Not a bad sting, though. Just one item on your list. The timing gear failure is quite rare. It seems to me that the reason that people who are new to the EcoDiesel and have done some research are even aware of it is the one shop that has come up with a fix for it spreading the word about how horrible and widespread this is issue is (not).

That being said, we do see quite a few bottom end failures. But with a new engine that shouldn't be a problem for a long time to come. That being said, most of the bottom end failures we've seen here on this forum have happened in the first 50,000 miles.

As for your concerns about the exhaust system, I don't recall any mileage-related failures. So you should be good to go in that department.

So, now, it boils down to usage. Unless you have quite the long commute to work or are going to be doing lots of towing, this might not be the right vehicle for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If they had a new engine installed and not a reman. all the other problems areas should have been addressed. With only 2000 miles on the new engine, it is not even broken in. Sounds like a good deal to me if price is right and the rest of the truck is good to your liking. If I got it I would change all the fluids and filters from front to back. Also I would use 100% synthetic oil 5W40 is what they are calling for mow.(NOT FULL SYNTHETIC) there is a difference.
My 1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a Cummins had over 250,000 miles on it when we sold it and is still running strong. We ran Amsoil from day one and never had any drive train repairs. The Boss of the house said we had to sell it so we could place an order for our Ecodiesel. It still looked good the other day when our friend came by headed to NC

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'd be curious as to the price, that would be the biggest factor.

As far as the engine replacement, was it done under a 125k max care warranty or do you not know? What type of documentation do you have for the replacement?

If you do buy it, get a tune from HD Diesel Supply and disable the crappy EGR.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Timing gear is a non-issue. Blownout hype.

Yes, the bottom end has a 1-4% chance of issues. But that can be cut down to zero risk with full synthetic oil and a ECU tune. My guess is many of the few that fail are because the low paid oil tech used the wrong oil.

I would be curious about the warranty; who is that with? Full new engine or a reman bottom? What is the price? Not sure I would pay more than 27k. 22k would be a steal if it had a full new engine.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
As others said , there are 2 kinds of engine replacements ...
  • 1 complete engine that comes in a crate , includes new intake manifold , new HPFP, turbo ...
  • there is a short block replacement , re-using all old components around it ...
if this truck got the complete crate , then it has high hopes of lasting a long time .
LAST IMAGE = PREFERED CHANGE , BIG DIFFERENCE .

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Was it a new engine?

Out of warranty replacement could be from anyone with anything. As stated above, figure out when, where and by whom the engine was replaced. Then factoring in the price, make your decision.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Price is the main factor. You roll the dice on any used vehicle purchase. At the right price, then getting a full delete and off road tune if that's possible in your state depending on emissions inspection and testing. It could then give you many years of service.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hard to say do it or don’t.... if the price is right and you are satisfied with the new engine documentation that’s a plus.
What I can say is despite some of the problems with these trucks (real and internet hype) if I were to turn back the clock and could re-decide whether or not to purchase mine, there is no question I would buy it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If your in a engine friendly state (not california) get a second ECU off ebay or car-part.com then have it tuned. 20k for a Limited with new full engine is a good price. Local dealership has a 2wd work model with 90k miles for 16,000.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I am not getting rid of my 2017 Cummins, getting Rid of my 2002 Chevy 8.1
According to the paperwork I seen, it was a brand new complete engine, installed at the local Ram dealer.
I am able to get this truck for a bit over $20K.
I’ll chime in one last time.... at that price with a dealer installed brand new engine I’d jump on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted.

Headed back on Thursday to check it out again and take it over to the dealer that did the actual engine install to verify warranty and what work was done.
I will update you on how it goes.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
@ HWTG , just look at the degas bottle , if it is low , walk away .
that bottle is important to look at often ,
when owning a Ecodiesel ,
it tells a lot .
level , color , all change for different reported failures.
----
here is an image of color and level change on healthy ECO ,changing from cold to hot ,
turning purple and rising just a bit when hot.
other image is too low , missing coolant in engine and rad .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted.

Headed back on Thursday to check it out again and take it over to the dealer that did the actual engine install to verify warranty and what work was done.
I will update you on how it goes.
Thanks again
Make sure you get the warranty stuff documented. I was told that I don't get a 3 year/100K warranty with my new engine (2016 just died at 47k getting warranty replacement). Everyone keeps saying AEM extended warranty but that just for the AEM affected parts, not your engine.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, the bottom end has a 1-4% chance of issues. But that can be cut down to zero risk with full synthetic oil and a ECU tune.
While I'd love to encourage the OP that these are nice trucks, bottom end failures cannot be cut down to zero risk with special oil and a tune unless there has been some recent news that I missed. Bottom end failures can be the luck of the draw and many still attribute the failures to poor QA during assembly. The tune may help, and I believe that synthetic oil is required in our engines, but this does not guarantee that you won't have a bottom end failure. The good news is that your chances are slim of it happening.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts