RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I'd love to encourage the OP that these are nice trucks, bottom end failures cannot be cut down to zero risk with special oil and a tune unless there has been some recent news that I missed. Bottom end failures can be the luck of the draw and many still attribute the failures to poor QA during assembly. The tune may help, and I believe that synthetic oil is required in our engines, but this does not guarantee that you won't have a bottom end failure. The good news is that your chances are slim of it happening.
I agree that this truck is not a zero risk vehicle but no vehicle is and I haven’t seen any official statistics to show it is worse than any other vehicle though I concede that the risk may be greater than some.
I once purchased a new Honda Civic when I was in my early 20’s as a long distance commuting vehicle. They were believed to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. The one I purchased was a basket case from day one and was one of the worst vehicles I ever owned. My point being that there is always a risk with vehicles and my opinion is that these trucks are generally decent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 outdoorsman turned over 123,000 miles today. GDE hot tune at 50,00 miles. GDE trans tune at 90,000. I have run amsoil products through out the truck. I also use Hot shot secret products. It has been a good truck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Made the deal today. Truck is now sitting in my shop getting the once over. Still cannot believe how clean this truck is for having 129,000 miles.

Thanks for everyone's help
Pics or it didn't happen! Congrats, that seems like a deal! As previously suggested, unless there are dealer or other specific records available of all the fluids being replaced, I would get all of them done ASAP. The tranny pan/filter can be pricey, but shop them online and its not bad at all. Do the diffs and transfer case also...pretty darn easy.

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride. Good guys and resources here on our forum. I use mine commercially to tow Airstreams TTs & boats 634k now on 2nd motor. Kazimoto was right to tell you to keep an eye on your degas tank. If it falls below the seam more than once you likely have an internally leaking EGR cooler showing no leaks as its going out the tailpipes. IMO best fixed permanently with an EGR cooler delete kit. Naturally you would also want to have a tune first that turns off the EGR soot recirculator. Its amazing how much cleaner your oil will stay plus plus. In fact low coolant from leaking EGR cooler is likely why my first engine pushed a head gasket at 371k miles. A link was already supplied in this thread.

There are two other main weaknesses on these trucks. The cooling system is blocked and gets heat soaked by the intercooler placement. Thus when towing a heavy high drag trailer such as a TT at speed or up a long grade in the heat it can overtax the cooling system. I like to watch the temps screen when towing. Anything beyond 244 water or 266 oil will get a computer derate where the computer pulls fuel and slows you down. This can easily be managed simply by limiting sustained rpms to 3,000. An example would be an 8k TT up a long grade. The 3k rpm method might only climb at 50 mph but never will it de-rate to a crawl. You can mediate this some by swapping for an SLT honeycomb style grill for improved air flow. Plus other things tires thermostat oil cooler but if you already have access to HD trucks you are covered.

Last is the soft springs in the rear. Anything 1,000 pounds or more on the tongue or in the bed or a combination will compress them pretty good and they compress a little more than a leaf spring would. Several ways you can mediate this the most preferred here is; https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

·
Registered
821 Posts
Before you commit to not tuning, you should look at pics of untuned EGR systems and think about that crud going into your intake.

I get the warranty concern, but not tuning wasn't really an option for me on this truck. But tuning and risking failures that warranty denied coverage on is a real concern too.

Road trips is what this thing was built for - But I would tune it.

Congrats on the new truck!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Not likely to happen as I am not willing to give up the warranty. Also it is nice not to have to choke on diesel fumes.
Tuning does not automatically void the warranty according to the Magnusson-Moss Act. Also, I have the deleted exhaust and the ONLY time I ever smell any exhaust is when idling (stationary) and the wind happens to be doing exactly what it needs to to get the fumes to my nose. Even then it's not that bad.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
Curious what kind warranty it might have at 130,000 miles. If only the AEM extended warranty, tune it. There will probably not be a total engine replacement available in that extension anyhow. Most other things relate to the emissions crap anyhow.

HD Diesel is a viable option along with SFT. Nice-looking Eco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Warranty is a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty on the new engine. I have a copy of the work order and warranty documentation to back it up.

Tuning will most definitely void warranty. The Magnuson-moss act, in short, states that aftermarket parts can not void a warranty, and that if the manufacture requires you to use their parts in order to maintain warranty, they have to provide those parts free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have warranty and I didn't mind the additional smell and noise from deleting, I would do it in a heartbeat. Problem I have with deleting is I have yet to hear of any deleted diesel that is as quiet or more quiet than a non deleted truck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't understand how some people are getting 100k warranties on engine replacements, regardless of mileage, when others aren't..

·
Registered
62 Posts
nice truck, sounds like good deal. we have 125,000 or so on ours with engine replaced at 23,000. Got GDE, trans and hot tune right before the EPA interfered. Still use DEF so it dont smell bad at all. She, my wife, gets on average 25.5, she loves the truck and thats all that matters, ha. Had to fix coolant leak on son's 2010' 150 with a 5.4 which he has mudders on, he told me to drive it a few days, evic shows 9mpg! And i drive like an old man! I would go old school on breakin, might let bearings seat better and change fluids and coolant, we get some drips occasionally so i think 100,000 would be great for overall maintenance. follow Vern's lead on this truck and it will last a long time.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Warranty is a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty on the new engine. I have a copy of the work order and warranty documentation to back it up.

Tuning will most definitely void warranty. The Magnuson-moss act, in short, states that aftermarket parts can not void a warranty, and that if the manufacture requires you to use their parts in order to maintain warranty, they have to provide those parts free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have warranty and I didn't mind the additional smell and noise from deleting, I would do it in a heartbeat. Problem I have with deleting is I have yet to hear of any deleted diesel that is as quiet or more quiet than a non deleted truck.
Okay, then. I'll post my videos again. Here ya go.

[video]

[video]

21 - 39 of 39 Posts