RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Sounds like you need to kick that tire MAS. Is that a space in there meaning you live at MA's or with MA? Just wondering. And Finn, I borrowed 10 grand on my loan a couple yrs ago as I had plenty a equity in it to buy a trans am (interest was at 1.99 vs 5.99 if I borrowed it for trans am) if ya really need to know or if ya don't know the whole story, Just shut your pie hole and keep scrolling. Easier said then done by some I guess!
Anyone who borrows on the equity in a loan needs to take a refresher economics course. IMO

·
Registered
822 Posts
Anyone who borrows on the equity in a loan needs to take a refresher economics course. IMO
Well ..... borrowing on the equity in an "automobile" loan is definitely iffy, seeing as the asset can disappear in the flash of an accident or theft .... it would be a bit different if the asset was something more concrete .... like a house.

·
Registered
246 Posts
LOL ..... the sky is falling, the sky is falling ...

Sheesh man ... just drive it. You could slip on a patch of ice and spend the rest of your life eating thru' a straw ... but that's not likely either :)
Five hundred years ago, Michel de Montaigne said: "My life has been filled with terrible misfortune; most of which never happened."
Lol, that is pretty darn? good

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Thank for bringing up many memories.

One was about my 1968 Firebird convertible. Bought it new for $3,300. 350 HO with the tack on the hood, it was yellow with black leather interior and a 4 speed Hurst on the floor. Man was it a chick magnet. Cost me a pile of money as attracting women is prone to do.

Then another good memory is pretty recent. I moved from my wonderful Ecodiesel - like yours it was a delight for 114,000 miles. I really only had temperature issues with the transmission and a little with towing. it was a good truck like yours seems to be for you right now. Nothing horrible has happened yet and may not. Reads like you have good memories.

Now another memory is one I just made. I bought a new Cummins 2500 Ram with the newest hydraulic motor and beefed-up transmission to handle that power. Also bought a fire extinguisher for that truck which is in there now. Seems there is a recall for fluid puking out of the transmission. Now I have never had an issue. Have never read of anyone that has. No parts available yet to fix it and but I do remember there could be an issue.

What I remember is with all the doom and gloom thrown out, my reality is I have had great service and continue to have great service and experience today with Ram trucks. Going to continue to focus on the good but am keeping the extinguisher under the rear seat. I sleep good and hope to forget that extinguisher is even there. May you do the same.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Im waiting for mine to go here soon. Im scared where i park it.Especially when Im bringing in groceries or whatever and i park by my front door to unload. Just had another motor put in not 5,000 miles ago.(motor #4) Do you think they would have topped off my coolant during an engine replacement. I have been calling them but the dealer is avoiding me :cry:. Anyway i just received that letter last week and checked my coolant level and is way below the line maybe at 25% left :cool:. Just changed insurance to a lower deductible. Burn baby Burn
Please start a new post about this. I would love to hear more about it and im sure others would also.

·
Vendor
1,255 Posts
Mine caught fire about a year ago this April. Was towing my toyhauler on our first trip of the season. I reported the problem on the NHTSA web page and while there decided to check if others had similar problems. I found 30 other fire reports. Evidently there's been a rash of additional reports to get the government involved causing FCA to initiate a recall. I did notice that the majority of the fires involved towing at the time. hauling a load increases engine temps and ethylene glycol will ignite when it flashes over to steam.
I have trouble with the coolant in intake being the cause of the fires. Coolant can auto-ignite above 650-750F, it can flash at a much lower temperature. I can rule out the flash as there are no sparks in the intake. That said, we have measured 500 F in the egr tube gas flow going into the intake with the AEM tune. The EGR tube somewhat directs the hot egr gas into two areas of the intake and it mixes from there. The fresh air temps coming into the intake from intercooler are a maximum of 190 F at full load. The plastic manifold cannot handle more than 392 F, it will start losing strength and become viscous within minutes. There have been several vehicles with holes melted into the intake and no fire as the holes we caught in time. The position of the melted holes typically are in line with the two flow paths from the EGR tube. The EGR gases in certain rpm/loads are hot enough to melt the manifold, considering those gases are directed toward the front and rear of the intake and mixing with the cooler charge air is not very good in that manifold design.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looks like they all can have problems.....
If you’ve just bought a new Toyota or Lexus, your vehicle may need its engine replaced. Over 44,000 cars and SUVs from the 2019 and 2020 model years are being recalled because they may overheat, stall, or even catch fire.

Affected vehicles include 2020 Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES300h sedans, and 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs.

The recall is due to an issue with the engine block, where combustion takes place. Because of a manufacturing error, the engine block could leak coolant or oil, which may lead to a stall or fire while the engine is in use. Drivers may first notice warning lights and chimes, increased engine noise, and/or engine smoke

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have trouble with the coolant in intake being the cause of the fires. Coolant can auto-ignite above 650-750F, it can flash at a much lower temperature. I can rule out the flash as there are no sparks in the intake. That said, we have measured 500 F in the egr tube gas flow going into the intake with the AEM tune. The EGR tube somewhat directs the hot egr gas into two areas of the intake and it mixes from there. The fresh air temps coming into the intake from intercooler are a maximum of 190 F at full load. The plastic manifold cannot handle more than 392 F, it will start losing strength and become viscous within minutes. There have been several vehicles with holes melted into the intake and no fire as the holes we caught in time. The position of the melted holes typically are in line with the two flow paths from the EGR tube. The EGR gases in certain rpm/loads are hot enough to melt the manifold, considering those gases are directed toward the front and rear of the intake and mixing with the cooler charge air is not very good in that manifold design.
Is it possible that the egr cooler fails to cool the exhaust gas because the leaking cooler has depleted the coolant reservoir? Then hot exhaust gas ignites the plastic manifold?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Another one of these fine know it all fellas that thinks he knows my business. Well, just like the part you copied, I would think you would see the interest difference to begin with, but since YOU wanna teach me economics, how bout I teach you about fast cars! I paid 6500 outta that 10,000 i borrowed back in 2016 on a 2000 TA that was a black on black T-Top LS1 6sp car with 79,000 miles. I sold the car last year for 9800 with 91,000 miles. Hmmmmmmm..................... lets see, i got the 10,000 back in 3 1/2 yrs and had an extra 3500 to spend 3 yrs ago. SO why don't you go preach your economics on someone else before you know the whole story! Yeah, I coulda put that 10 grand back down on the loan but instead it went into out 15 Challenger loan. So, tell me again about your ECONOMICS! SMH!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thank for bringing up many memories.

One was about my 1968 Firebird convertible. Bought it new for $3,300. 350 HO with the tack on the hood, it was yellow with black leather interior and a 4 speed Hurst on the floor. Man was it a chick magnet. Cost me a pile of money as attracting women is prone to do.

Then another good memory is pretty recent. I moved from my wonderful Ecodiesel - like yours it was a delight for 114,000 miles. I really only had temperature issues with the transmission and a little with towing. it was a good truck like yours seems to be for you right now. Nothing horrible has happened yet and may not. Reads like you have good memories.

Now another memory is one I just made. I bought a new Cummins 2500 Ram with the newest hydraulic motor and beefed-up transmission to handle that power. Also bought a fire extinguisher for that truck which is in there now. Seems there is a recall for fluid puking out of the transmission. Now I have never had an issue. Have never read of anyone that has. No parts available yet to fix it and but I do remember there could be an issue.

What I remember is with all the doom and gloom thrown out, my reality is I have had great service and continue to have great service and experience today with Ram trucks. Going to continue to focus on the good but am keeping the extinguisher under the rear seat. I sleep good and hope to forget that extinguisher is even there. May you do the same.
Well, Captain, I've had my 68 for 33 years now, since right outta high school, and she started life as a 350 2 barrel car but since has been made in to a 400 Ram Air Clone. Little faster than stock too! Got around 500 horse. Some a these people just love to try and rattle a person, all I said was this truck was great at first and not the biggest fan of this Diesel anymore, didn't say I didnt like the truck, and made it to KC fine yesterday. We'll see how the thing lasts, I'll drive it to my 120,000 coverage and probably off it after that. In the mean time, bout ready to get a bag a marshmallows for future roasts! LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
FCA has been approving buybacks on the Ecodiesels since day one. Go to your local FCA dealer sales lot and pick out a nice new whatever. When the salesman comes out tell him you want him to buyback your ED 1500 and apply those funds to the new whatever. Easy peasy.

Some dealers may try to say they can't buyback your truck because it has an open recall. That's ok, just let them know they are not the only FCA dealer in the country and take your truck to the next dealer down the road. Keep doing this until you find a dealer who wants to deal. The end of the month when interest payments are due on inventory is usually the best time to approach them about your buyback.

Other dealers than FCA will also buyback your truck. And don't forget Carmax and Carvana, they actually make pretty good offers on buybacks.

And, if no one will offer you the 22k that you still owe, you can always take your truck and key fobs to your lender and let the vehicle go back.
I'm unsure the need for this post.

If the OP is unsatisfied with his truck, what's it our business. He had all rights to doing what he wants.

I'm in the same situation as the OP. If not for the upgrades I've done to my truck... I'd sell it! I bought the truck for many reasons. I liked it at first, until the V08 recall started.

I'm not foolish enough in trying to play the dealership. There are many of us who knows the car buying game. So, for now I drive my truck, hoping FCA will improve their major FUBAR.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My question is how the hell do you still owe 21 k on a 5 year old truck?
I think some kids slept through the class on basic financial understanding, and think that debt equals equity. My dad explained things when I was very young - if you're paying interest, you're supporting someone else's family instead of your own.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think some kids slept through the class on basic financial understanding, and think that debt equals equity. My dad explained things when I was very young - if you're paying interest, you're supporting someone else's family instead of your own.
I hope he didn't lay that down as a hard and fast rule .....

Debt is tool, just like a wrench or a keyboard or a frying pan .... depending on who is using it and how, debt can be manipulated to work for you, even if you are the one paying interest.

Each debt situation has it's own charactertistics that need to be examined in order to determine whether "that" debt is good or bad.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hope he didn't lay that down as a hard and fast rule .....

Debt is tool, just like a wrench or a keyboard or a frying pan .... depending on who is using it and how, debt can be manipulated to work for you, even if you are the one paying interest.

Each debt situation has it's own charactertistics that need to be examined in order to determine whether "that" debt is good or bad.
I agree with you, however if someone can explain the rationale for paying interest on a depreciating asset, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I agree with you, however if someone can explain the rationale for paying interest on a depreciating asset, I'm all ears.
Especially when you always have the option of buying something you can afford. Always surprises me that people buy 'depreciating assets" they cannot afford and then complain when they can't afford it.

My parents taught me that you never buy something you cannot afford. I did violate that once with a inwter home I bought in Florida. Had a mortgage on it. Sold the thing for maybe a 100 grand profit and paid off the loan to my benefit. That did not depreciate but appreciated. Never would I buy any consumer product on a loan unless it was one of those zero % deals. Now that would be a smart move and mamma didn't make "no" dummy.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Looks like they all can have problems.....
If you’ve just bought a new Toyota or Lexus, your vehicle may need its engine replaced. Over 44,000 cars and SUVs from the 2019 and 2020 model years are being recalled because they may overheat, stall, or even catch fire.

Affected vehicles include 2020 Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES300h sedans, and 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs.

The recall is due to an issue with the engine block, where combustion takes place. Because of a manufacturing error, the engine block could leak coolant or oil, which may lead to a stall or fire while the engine is in use. Drivers may first notice warning lights and chimes, increased engine noise, and/or engine smoke
I had a new Tacoma with a bad motor once. It happens! Also dealer was a pos. My Dodge /Ram dealer has been 5 stars to me!!

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Pretty easy if you are in business and interest and depreciation are both tax deductible. Not so easy as an individual for sure.

·
Registered
822 Posts
In 1991 I needed a truck to do pick up and delivery for power equipment that my repair shop was bringing in for service. I didn't have the $20,000 that I needed to buy it cash, and I wanted the security of a warranty behind me (and it turned out to be a good plan), so I leased my new 1991 F150. Disregarding any warranty issue .... over the next four years I was able to budget my cash flows to include truck lease payments, I was able to write off 100% of the lease as an expense, I was able to use any cash I had on hand to buy inventory for resale at much higher profit percentage than the lease rate, and the truck paid for itself anyway by bringing a continual stream of service jobs to the shop.

Twenty years later I could buy several trucks for cash any time I wanted, but at that time, being able to pay interest on a depreciating asset was what made me profitable "at that time" and enable me to survive and become financially comfortable.

cheers

·
Registered
822 Posts
Pretty easy if you are in business and interest and depreciation are both tax deductible. Not so easy as an individual for sure.
As a general rule I would agree, but .... if your vehicle lease/loan rate is less than you can return with careful investment, then freeing up the cash to invest is "sometimes" smarter than paying cash .....

41 - 60 of 95 Posts