RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of making a final decision. Could someone comment on the differences, beside actual size, between the crew and quad. With rebates, the crew cab would be $600 more. Is it worth the difference? I currently have a quad and never wished for more room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would pay the $600 simply for resale purposes, so long as the extra length won't cause you any problems. From what I've seen (not exactly scientific, I know) the crew cabs seem to sell for quite a bit more. YMMV.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heck yeah if you're going to be putting grown ups in the back seat for any distance. I am coming up on my 6th crew cab and love the room on the interior of the truck. Seat folds up and I put in a platform that holds a dog bed for the 2 "kids". On overnight trips to Fl and points beyond it actually makes it like a sleeper cab enabling one of us to nap while the other keeps driving. I have always gotten the 5'7" bed but I understand the 6' is available now in the crew if you need the bed space. Also will hold a higher resale too. Just my .02!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess it would depend on your personal situation. I looked at both Quad and Crew and decided on Crew for the simple fact that I need to fit my little goober and his car seat back there. I intend on having this truck for several years so if he grows to my size, we'll need the room. My current 98' Ram quad cab gets pretty tight. I also tried to fit my chubby ass in the back seat of a new quad cab and wouldn't be able to sit straight (I'm 6'2") unless the person driving in front was extremely short. It wasn't comfortable for my wife, who is roughly 5'6". So if you intend on having people sit back there I would consider the crew cab. It also offers more dry space to put daily crap in with the fold up seats and flat surface (grocery runs, tool bags you don't want stolen....beer... more beer). I would assume crew cab would also have a slightly higher resale value.

So out of that long winded answer: More seating room and more room for beer. :D

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Never looked at a truck as a "family vehicle". Many do. it would not be nice to lose the bed length you lose in the Crew Cab. Make that bed longer and then the truck does not easily fit into many garages. Just seem to thing the quad cab overall length with the longer bed fits right lots of places.

As for others riding in the back, they can. If they need to leech a ride all the time they must be larger, older kids or someone you would best be served getting rid of. The quad holds guns, coolers, gear and people well. Then you have more room in the bed for the important stuff without making the truck too long for easy use.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The crew cab can actually hold adults in the back, without being uncomfortable... and having to move the driver's seat forward. Also... it has the nice arm rest in the back now... and the built in ice bins in the floor.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am in the process of making a final decision. Could someone comment on the differences, beside actual size, between the crew and quad. With rebates, the crew cab would be $600 more. Is it worth the difference? I currently have a quad and never wished for more room.
I think you answered your own question. But a short summary:

Pros of Crew: more room for people, pets or gear; better seats; higher resale value; 5'7" box available; Longhorn/Limited models available; slightly better ride (probably insignificant).

Pros of Quad: costs less; shorter overall length given the same box length (6'4" boxes are available for both Crew and Quad); 110 lbs lighter; better turning radius and breakover angle; slightly better fuel economy (probably insignificant).

If a 5'7" box works for you then the Crew is a better people hauler. Otherwise, dealer's choice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Captanimal you're right the area under the seat makes a great gun case for the long winter hunts. In floor storage is a huge plus too, Good spot for the all the other daily hunting items that don't need to get tossed or rolled around. Usually loaded up from whitetail in November till end of coyote in March...

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Of course I'm right but right for me. Everyone has their priorities.

Crew cab is popular because oh so many buyers really don't want a truck to haul things. They want to tow a boat, take the kids, parents, neighbors etc. Then, a crew cab is better than a quad cab. Only bummer then is the back is open and getting soaked so it has to be covered. If you don't load up then why not get some kind of large van or SUV? That way it's all enclosed and everyone can fit inside. That is, if you don't tow heavy. Of course if you do tow heavy then the 1500 is not for you. Get a 2500 or 3500 for serious towing.

Crew cabs can be a people hauler. Only thing is you lose the bed to the outside and the inaccessible for most stuff people want to lug around.

Pickups are not for everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts