RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to pull the trigger on a Big Horn 4x4 ecodiesel. I am excited about the purchase but I am getting nervous about payload as the truck I'm looking at is loaded to the gills. When I run the Vin on the website, it gives me a payload rating of 1233 but I wonder if that takes into account options like Air-ride and the subwoofer. I asked the dealer to tell me what the number is on the door frame but he is claiming it only shows GCWR. Two questions:
1. Can the number on the website differ from your actual payload rating?
2. Is the dealer being honest when he claims that the door decal only shows GCWR? All vehicles I have ever owned give the axle ratings, GVWR, GCWR, and payload. Maybe he is confusing it with the window sticker.

·
Registered
730 Posts
These trucks are shown to withstand a literal ton in the back with the air-ride with no issues. Don't think about it too much.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
He's right i'v had 1500# of top soil in my limited with air ride no issues airride pumped it right up level. (short trip home although)

Reactions: gleb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I believe you that the Ram with air ride is more capable than its payload rating suggests. I just don't want to end up in an accident with an overloaded vehicle and have my insurance refuse to pay out.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
How heavy is a subwoofer?

I mean it's a radio speaker. Can't be that heavy to affect your GVR. Maybe loud music is like "heavy metal"?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I hate to keep harping on this, but the payload on these trucks and the weight of every option is available on Home | Dodge Body Builder's Guide. The starting payload for a Bighorn ED 4X4 Crew Cab is1320 pounds. Starting payload for Bighorn ED 4X4 Quad Cab is 1380 pounds. Every option added to the base truck will subtract from that starting payload number. Do your own math and don't believe the dealer - go open the driver's door on any Ram on his lot and you'll see GVW and Payload on the same sticker as the tire pressures. You can always ignore this information later, but please inform yourself before you spend $45K on a truck. To answer Captainmal's question above, adding the 9 speaker stereo with subwoofer adds 10.57 pounds to the front axle and 11.46 pounds to the rear axle for a total of 22.03 pounds. I'm not making this up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks wbdavey, I will check out the builders guide. I would go look on the door myself but the dealer is a few hours away. I figure he is BSing me about payload not being on the door just in case I get cold feet right before the sale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts