RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Ram 1500 Eco diesel. 78,000 miles with about 26,000 on new engine. I am considering pulling the trigger on the complete GDE compliant tune with the trans.tune, without the race part. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF ANYONE EVER LOSING AN ENGINE AFTER HAVING DONE THE GDE TUNE?

I am on my second engine, replaced in Nov. 2018, still under warranty. We are planning an over 7,000 miles trip next spring and my estimated fuel savings alone would pay for about half of the tune.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My truck has never been the same since I GDE tuned it over 150,000 kms ago.......
No more EGR soot in the oil, no more nuisance CELS, no more limp modes. Not one dealer visit since the tune almost 3 years now. The savings are endless.

(I have pre-compliant tune just to be clear)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ran pre-compliant tune (no trans tune) for 166,000 miles (1st 50k stock) losing a turbo at 216,000 therefore did the AEM, EGR recalls and now warrantied until 264k.

Now have 4,000 miles on the GDE 2.0 w/ trans tune. At first the two were indistinguishable however, now I definitely notice the trans tune helping get up to speed and truck drives exceptional. My MPG is 5 better than the AEM-V08, and 1-2 better than the pre-EPA tune. Not worth the upgrade for folks like EcoSparkey yet the GDE 2.0 is superior than the original IMO. Maybe it's the trans tune making the difference...IDK...

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I bought the GDE Compliant Tune on August 5th, but I still haven't installed it. I've been waiting to have all the software recalls completed before installing it. The last recall will be the W58. According to GDE, it only take about 8 minutes or so to flash the tune back to stock, so that's probably what I should do. Due to COVID-19, I haven't been driving the truck much. Hopefully the W58 will be available soon.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I bought the GDE Compliant Tune on August 5th, but I still haven't installed it. I've been waiting to have all the software recalls completed before installing it. The last recall will be the W58. According to GDE, it only take about 8 minutes or so to flash the tune back to stock, so that's probably what I should do. Due to COVID-19, I haven't been driving the truck much. Hopefully the W58 will be available soon.
Hard copy letters going out 12/10...software flash ONLY and IF wheel breaks apart within a few days/weeks then FCA can so a 'goodwill' repair assuming the wheel failed' otherwise SOL. When I ask WTF would anyone get that deal and bother with doing a software only update...the FCA rep said that is the deal. IF THIS IS ACCURATE (y'all need to verify) I will wait until the very last moment to get the software update hoping a wheel replacement will eventually be offered.

This is what I was told after much discussion/probing with an FCA rep called regarding a V08 - $3075 question several weeks ago.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel and I installed the Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune/Trans Tune at about the 1,000 mile mark, I bought the truck a left over August of 2020 and I currently have just over 8,000 miles on it now. The truck has run fine with the Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune/Trans Tune. I did add the optional Regen message and the Exhaust Brake option as well.

What I noticed after installing the Hot Tune/Trans Tune was the drivability improved over stock, the transmission shifts quicker, my transmission temperature has dropped between 4 to 8 degrees from the stock programing and according to Green Diesel Engineering they manage the torque converter lock up better than the stock program.

Click on the graphic at the bottom of my post and you will see my average fuel mileage since I bought the truck and it is currently at 27.4 MPG overall. My best fuel run was 32.1 MPG and my worst fuel run was 25.4 MPG. My lower fuel mileage runs involve a Regen during the run. I am currently averaging about 650 miles between Regens with a Regen yesterday that went 700 miles since the last Regen. Green Diesel Engineering says their EPA compliant tune produces 75% less soot than the stock factory tune.

I would say the Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant Hot Tune/Trans Tune are well worth the money.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hard copy letters going out 12/10...software flash ONLY and IF wheel breaks apart within a few days/weeks then FCA can so a 'goodwill' repair assuming the wheel failed' otherwise SOL. When I ask WTF would anyone get that deal and bother with doing a software only update...the FCA rep said that is the deal. IF THIS IS ACCURATE (y'all need to verify) I will wait until the very last moment to get the software update hoping a wheel replacement will eventually be offered.

This is what I was told after much discussion/probing with an FCA rep called regarding a V08 - $3075 question several weeks ago.
Don't expect a replacement wheel under recall, my 2016 Ram 2500 had a recall on the drag link because the lock nuts could come loose and could cause you to lose steering control. The recall solution by FCA was to check the torque on the lock nuts if they were within torque spec they would tack weld the nuts which meant if you had to get the front end aligned at some point the shop would have to grind the welds off in order to do the alignment and there is no guarantee that an independent alignment shop would know the welds need to be there to keep the lock nuts from backing off.

If the lock nuts were loose they supposedly would replace the drag link with a new design that eliminated the problem. I have not heard of anyone getting a new drag link.

My drag link did have one of the nuts back off but I retightened it and used blue lock tight and did not have another problem with it backing off again. I never did have the recall done before I traded the truck in for the Ecodiesel I now have. I just kept an eye on the lock nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts