RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was brought up on another post:

"Perhaps the guys at GDE could look at the AEM software and tell us what FCA did since they're not disclosing that info, and why our truck are experiencing significant lag and lack of power."

If you're one of the lucky few who is seeing no impact, no need to share. I get it, you think the rest of us crazy. However my personal experience is that my truck drives completely different and goes against the settlement claim that they AEM will not effect performance.

Thanks in advance....I look forward to hearing from some folks in the know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
For those in California that cannot obtain proper tuning, you may consider "Pedal Commander". From what I understand it may improve your throttle response.

I feel for those who are now neutered by the AEM. I have no opinion on how it affected the performance of my ED. I only drove it for 200 yards to the Lowe's next door and then put my GDE back in. Did drive the AEM trans tune home and was not impressed. Could not wait to do the trans tune swap.

I would be very pissed if I were experiencing the post AEM disappointment that many on this forum are experiencing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I 100% agree with the OP.

I had the AEM update for a few weeks and I noticed a difference off the lot. I was hoping the system had to re-learn my driving habits, but after a couple weeks performance just got worse. Both lag and lack of power were very noticeable. I didn’t notice much of a change in fuel economy.

I was actually one step from the dealer door getting a 2019 rebel, but every time I looked at fuelly I cringed.

Ended up pulling the trigger on a tune and I love my truck again. I’d love to know what software changes were made for the AEM update to make me hate my truck.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Seems that AEM can be tricky to apply , some say truck runs OK , and other not so good ,
look at post # 30 in here , last line ,,,
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/fca-epa-3-0l-diesel-settlement-aem-approved-emissions-modification/64504-aem-after-gde-2.html

flash update only half done , and customer sent on his merry way ,,,
he drove to GDE , and they noticed the dealer had only done half the flash !!!
How many other techs have messed up ???

I wonder if it could be fixed by having dealer redo the AEM update properly ,
or if once messed up , that's it , you got a turd .....

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 15' got the update; sucks like mad. Went back to have them recheck that everything was done right and they supposedly checked and said everything was done. No help at all. Still suck from a dead stop.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
My 15' got the update; sucks like mad. Went back to have them recheck that everything was done right and they supposedly checked and said everything was done. No help at all. Still suck from a dead stop.
These trucks sucked hard from a dead stop before the AEM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
These trucks sucked hard from a dead stop before the AEM.
The difference before and after the AEM is a different kind of suck. Before the AEM, I knew how much distance I needed in order to make a left/right turn when cross traffic doesn't stop. Now there is extra space/time needed. Of course, now that I know I need extra time the only danger I'm in is bursting a blood vessel from the truck not responding the same. But that first time when I wasn't expecting the crappy response from the truck was a whole different feeling.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do you think GDE can look at the code in the original ECM? That would be very interesting to see their interpretation of the "update". It would be so easy for FCA to make it impossible to lock the ECM down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you think GDE can look at the code in the original ECM? That would be very interesting to see their interpretation of the "update". It would be so easy for FCA to make it impossible to lock the ECM down.
That's why I started the thread with the hopes that someone from the tuning community could share what they're seeing. Hopefully we can get an idea of what FCA from some of the experts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts