RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a GDE ECU, and the stock unit, what is the procedure for re-installing the stock ECU? Do you have to go through all the same steps as installing the GDE ECU or is it simpler? For instance, hitting the throttle to clear the DEF gauge, quickly getting up to 5MPH, driving immediately to do a forced regen, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yes Derwood , plug and play again from now on.

( No guarantee of forever ,,,until FCA require you carry a EPA emplyee in your back seat ,,,
or they decide to flash some other module on the truck that needs to recognize
some extra data they would put in the ECM in a future AEM ) , let's enjoy what we have while we have it .:p

·
Registered
117 Posts
I assume that since you say it is "plug and play", you will not have the stock ECU installed for very long. If you kept the stock ECU installed for 200 or 300 or 400 miles would that mess up the regen percentage? From what I understood when we first installed GDE is that the GDE ECU does not know the current percentage so it automatically does a Regen to set the baseline at zero. Why is that not the case when swapping?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
True BobC , I wondered the same thing , then learned that luckily for us , the ECM uses more than just the soot % (that it figures out from data sent to it ) ,
it also uses the difference in pressure between pre DPF and post DPF , even if it thinks the soot has not reached 66%
and other observed parameters tell the ECM that a regen should start , it will trigger the regen .

i still have a piece of paper scotch-taped on my stock ECM with soot % when I removed it ,
to give me an idea , Edge monitor is great for that , I always know the soot % , unfortunately the Edge monitors only work with
2014/2015/2016 models due to different software used on 2017 and later models.
my soot % paper reminder is kind of useless ,
since I can tell the truck to start a regen at any moment with the Edge monitor .

·
Registered
117 Posts
True BobC , I wondered the same thing , then learned that luckily for us , the ECM uses more than just the soot % (that it figures out from data sent to it ) ,
it also uses the difference in pressure between pre DPF and post DPF , even if it thinks the soot has not reached 66%
and other observed parameters tell the ECM that a regen should start , it will trigger the regen .
Still makes me wonder....

Can you force a regen with AlpahOBD? I think I remember reading it can do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Edge monitor is great for that , I always know the soot % , unfortunately the Edge monitors only work with
2014/2015/2016 models due to different software used on 2017 and later models.
I've been really pleased with the data reported by our Scanguage II; i.e. temps for the turbo, SCR, DOC, etc., as well as soot mass %, when a regen is occurring, as well as a number of other helpful metrics. Though I can clear codes I have not investigated if I can force a regen.

Works well on our '18 Lone Star.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Nice to know Scangauge put the effort into making their product work with 2018 models ,
( Edge has been saying they'll look into it shortly ..... been saying that for almost 3 years ) .
in Edge you go ; menu ==> diagnostics ==> mobile regen , and follow instructions , 2 or 3 steps do ask for a regen ,
maybe your scangauge can do it too . please let us know if you find the option on your monitor ..

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Still makes me wonder....

Can you force a regen with AlpahOBD? I think I remember reading it can do that.
was reported you can even do a stationary regen with the AlfaOBD app , that is when you
reach 100% soot , usually need the dealer to do one of those ...
so a regular mobile regen is much less complicated , I would be surprised if Alfa could not do the simple mobile regen .

·
Registered
169 Posts
did I miss the bottom line regarding swapping ECUs out and back for a dealer visit and nothing else needed regarding regen, soot, etc? Just swap back n forth and all is well? without having some fancy gizmo to tell me, how can I know the soot % or time/miles since the last regen?

·
Registered
473 Posts
did I miss the bottom line regarding swapping ECUs out and back for a dealer visit and nothing else needed regarding regen, soot, etc? Just swap back n forth and all is well? without having some fancy gizmo to tell me, how can I know the soot % or time/miles since the last regen?
Swap back and forth and all is well. The only time you deal with an immediate regen is when you install GDE for the first time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
don't worry about it , even if soot % was going to be remembered as 10% (for exemple) from last removal
of ECM , and truck was actually closer to regen trigger soot % , the truck uses more than just the soot % ,
to determine if a regen is to start ,
it uses differences in pressure , detected by sensors pre DPF and post DPF , whatever trigger is first detected
and the regen will start , even if other info is not reached yet .
always nice to see the soot % on a monitor , but not "necessary ".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was asking for a friend with GDE ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts