RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out for vacation. I had a small utility trailer, 5x8 enclosed trailer along for the trip. Total weight of trailer and cargo was in the 2500lb range. Not heavy at all. Also had about 500 lbs of gear in the bed.

300 miles of mostly very flat florida highway miles netted me 22.3mpg. I used the "tow/haul" mode, though it probably was not needed for this weight. (Outdoorsman CC 4x4 w 3.55 gears, 20" rims)

I consider this great because my prior truck, 2011 Ram w Hemi engine, could not manage that mileage unloaded. Towing the same trailer with the hemi truck I was generally about 12mpg.

Plenty of power for passing, and no problems at all.

Temps stayed about 208 for the coolant, 199 for the transmission, and between 212-218 for the oil.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I drove my ’06 cummings 2500 to work today. Only me in it, nothing in the bed. Drove about 75-79 mph the whole way on the highway, very flat. I netted 18.9 mpg.
I never ceases to amaze me the fuel mileage people are getting from these Eco D trucks!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Grumpy, I traded in my 2012 Hemi for the Ecodiesel. Comparing MPG between the Hemi and the EcoD always puts a smile on my face. It's always 40 to 50% or better. I really love this truck!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Heading out for vacation. I had a small utility trailer, 5x8 enclosed trailer along for the trip. Total weight of trailer and cargo was in the 2500lb range. Not heavy at all. Also had about 500 lbs of gear in the bed.

300 miles of mostly very flat florida highway miles netted me 22.3mpg. I used the "tow/haul" mode, though it probably was not needed for this weight. (Outdoorsman CC 4x4 w 3.55 gears, 20" rims)

I consider this great because my prior truck, 2011 Ram w Hemi engine, could not manage that mileage unloaded. Towing the same trailer with the hemi truck I was generally about 12mpg.

Plenty of power for passing, and no problems at all.

Temps stayed about 208 for the coolant, 199 for the transmission, and between 212-218 for the oil.
nice , what speed where you cruising at ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was staying right at 70-72 mph for most of the trip on the highway. I was down into the low-mid 60's on some county roads. The truck actually seemed to like the higher speeds a little better, the Evic fluctuated between 21-22 on the county roads and was generally at the 23 mark on the highways.

Coming home I left the trailer up north (and was unloaded) and was hitting 80-85 mph most of the way. I was still getting 25mpg at those speeds. That was really incredible to me - them Hemi would get about 14-15mpg when I went over 80mph. (I never used to worry about FHP Troopers very much because I would rarely go over 75mph with thye Hemi truck, I really had to keep alert to make sure that I didn't get hit with a ticket in my exuberence.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts