RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I took the truck in for a small radiator fluid leak. The truck is out of warranty. This is the same truck I had the engine replaced at the beginning of the month because of an oil pump failure starving the engine.

I get the truck back and the next day I walk out to find a huge leak under the truck. They pay for the tow and tell me it's the water pump. They may have misdiagnosed the first leak. They give me a deal and replace the water pump. They also replace all the hoses and o-rings on the cooling system on their dime.

I get the truck home and go out an hour later to see fluid under the truck again. It looks like they over torqued one of the thermostat bolts and cracked it. If you squeeze the radiator hose, you can see the fluid squirt out.

I don't know whether to fix it myself at this point, or take it in yet again and make them pay for it.

What say the collective?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
I say take it in, but it’s up to you. Sometimes it’s better to just have the job done right by doing it yourself, but it’s also kind of a hard to go back on them if more is wrong and you’ve dug into it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's their problem. Once you touch it, you run the risk they will wash their hands of it and say you caused it.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
What if that rack is not easily fixable?

Make, don't just let them fix it. Good video. Show it to the shop that replaced the pump.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already sent them the video. They said to bring it back. It's only about 16 miles on city streets. I'll top off the tank and drive it over in the morning. Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well. Somehow they determined that the plastic part was not cracked from over torquing and is a coincidence because of the 180k miles on the truck...

They were kind enough to only charge me the cost of the part after all the other stuff I've been through.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the truck back on Tuesday. Noticed on Friday it was almost a gallon low again. Filled it up and drove it back to the dealership this morning. Drove out in a brand new 1500 hemi. I'm moving this week, so they're letting me loan it with an intent to buy for a week so we can close on the house without having credit issues. I'll go back Saturday and we'll finalize numbers. We ran a buy sheet based on some educated guesstimated values to get an initial agreement on cost and make sure the new truck was in my price range.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Guessing that was a good thing for the dealer and for you to be that cooperative. Sad the repairs just were not working.

Guessing you are trading in the Ecodiesel or selling instead of playing the "fix it" game any longer. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guessing that was a good thing for the dealer and for you to be that cooperative. Sad the repairs just were not working.

Guessing you are trading in the Ecodiesel or selling instead of playing the "fix it" game any longer. Good luck with whatever course of action you choose.
Correct. The truck is way out of warranty. After tossing over $10k in the last month trying to get it fixed, I'm done.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Not sure how they can say it was not from "over torquing" but is could be simply the plastic was brittle and that is why it cracked. My question is after they fixed it this time why did you lose yet another gallon? Not sure I would have anything good to say about a service department that simply throws parts at a vehicle in hopes of fixing it. Would be hard pressed in buying anything else from them unless they are giving you some kind of great deal on this new truck and full trade-in value on yours.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure how they can say it was not from "over torquing" but is could be simply the plastic was brittle and that is why it cracked. My question is after they fixed it this time why did you lose yet another gallon? Not sure I would have anything good to say about a service department that simply throws parts at a vehicle in hopes of fixing it. Would be hard pressed in buying anything else from them unless they are giving you some kind of great deal on this new truck and full trade-in value on yours.
Yes to both of your last two statements.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts