RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

241 - 260 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Bounty, just looking at the pictures, I see your end caps are round and the ones in the website pictures are squared off, but the way the mounting tabs are and everything else tells me they are the same. Was it ever explained to you that this is intended to run water, not oil? How many miles do you have on yours now? Earlier in the thread you mentioned you were going to mount it behind the bumper this summer. Did you ever do that? Are you happy with it? If I can run it without fans up front like your pictures are, I will be very happy. Just don't care to have extra fans running all the time.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Still low behind the grille, have not been hard-pressed to move it. I don't have any manufacturer info on mine to know if it's designed for water or oil, just know it's built heavy and works well with oil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here's a bunch of pictures of this cooler I'm going to install. I have to say I'm impressed with this thing. I figured for the price it had to be coming from china and I'm 99% sure it did. But it's beefy! I weighed it and it came in just over 17 pounds. It doesn't flex like a lot of coolers do. The welds look solid, the threaded bungs all look great. It has an 1/8" port I can add a pressure sensor to and on the bottom is a drain port that a nice drain valve will go in to. That will make it super easy to drain oil for my oil samples. The only thing I don't really like are the four mounting tabs welded to it. I would have done something different to start with. Oh well. My plan is to build some brackets to the truck frame that will carry the weight and then use the four tabs to just hold it in place.

Bounty, can you look this over and let me know how it compares to yours?
Thanks.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Looks identical to mine in every way.

Where do you plan on mounting it? Mine sits low in front of the intercooler, blocking the bottom 3.5" of the 8.5" tall intercooler. I trimmed the passenger side air funnel and left it out on the driver's side to fit the braided stainless oil lines.

When I go back to the CFT intercooler and pipes it will have to be relocated, not enough room for both. Likely put it in all the acreage behind the front bumper with dual fans, not sure where to pull air from at this point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's good to hear it's the same. I will mount it in the same place as yours. I don't have any plans to change out the intercooler at this point so it should be fine there. I'm very happy to not run fans. I just worry about what happens if they were to fail. If I ever do decide to move it to behind the front bumper I will look into getting a bumper with the air inlet section that goes all the way between the tow hooks. With the cooler right there it should provide all the airflow needed.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I was thinking about opening that area between the tow hooks if needed, good option.

Have you sourced the adapter plate and oil thermostat?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I purchased the derale t-stat and I built my own adapter plate.

I'm taking the truck to the dealer the first of next week to get an oil leak fixed that I assume is the front cover leaking (see the picture). Once it's back I will do the install.

006.JPG

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm actually in the process of creating a new radiator for our trucks. Just give me about 2 months and I'll have more info on it. I'm also making a few more things for our trucks as well. I'll be launching a website in a month or so.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Over the years the issue of a bigger radiator for us, to replace the little dinky one we have, has been discussed on and off. Did anything come of those discussions? Did an aftermarket larger radiator ever become available?

I see that folks have been fiddling around with oil coolers. But if we could just keep the coolant cooler, we wouldn't need oil coolers.
Don't start using logic.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Don't start using logic.
It's illogical that adding a larger radiator will do anything to get the heat out of the oil quicker during a climb. The oil/coolant heat exchanger still has the same surface area and can only dump heat from the oil to the coolant at a specific max rate. A larger radiator is not the holy grail of cooling these trucks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Considering there are at least two or three intercoolers on the market, I'm surprised no one's made a decent radiator for our trucks. I hope mishimoto is listening.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are you guys really having coolant overheating issues? At close to 9000 pounds I probably tow heavier than most. My coolant doesn't get hot. Engine oil does, but a radiator wont help that. All it will do is keep my T-stat closed more.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Testing the larger radiator.

Bottom line. The thicker radiator provided 12-14deg of additional cooling. Although the thicker radiator from Amazon is currently not available, the Chinese manufacturer Cooling Sky says that they’ll be doing another production run soon.

The first hot pull with the new radiator occurred in early May. It was a four hour tow pulling the same 8500lb enclosed trailer on the same route that I’ve done three to five times per year for the past 15yrs. Savannah, Georgia to Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw, South Carolina.

In order to compare radiator before/after results as rigorously as possible, I chose the EVIC’s mpg indicator as the measure of how much heat needed to be dumped by the radiator. So at a given ambient temp and mpg, if the EVIC showed a cooler engine, it was because the larger radiator provided additional cooling.

MPGSpeed (mph)Large radiator temp (deg. F)OEM radiator temp (deg F.)Notes
1462213224-5
1265217228-9
7224NA(*)Long hill
6225NA(*)Long hill
The ambient temperature was 91 degrees F. and all readings were taken on flat terrain. The OEM data comes from previous years of obsessively watching my EVIC and taking pictures.

(*). I have no OEM radiator temperature data for pushing the engine this hard. With the OEM radiator, the coolant temperature would have gone higher than I was comfortable with. Historically, however, there has been flat tows at 95deg F. ambient where I had to slow down to 55mph in order to keep coolant temps below 225deg F. I was very pleased that I can now push the engine to 6 or 7mpg before I get to that same temperature threshold.

So what does this all mean?

1. A larger radiator, unsurprisingly, results in significant additional cooling. It will allow you to run the Ecodiesel significantly harder and still keep the engine in its optimum operational temperature range, as defined by the thermostat’s management range of approximately 195-210deg.

2. It was unfortunate that the Ecodiesel was speced with the same radiator as the Pentastar (and Hemi). The two engines have different target markets and therefore require optimization for different usage. It takes only a couple dozen horses for a Pentastar to get you to the grocery store. In contrast, you could easily need 100hp, hour after hour, to tow your trailer. Then there’s also the significant heatload from the water cooled turbo to consider.

3. The installation of a larger radiator is inexpensive and easy.

If you go down this path, shop carefully. Don’t just look for an aftermarket all-aluminum radiator that will fit a late generation RAM 1500. Instead, look for an aftermarket radiator that is thicker than OEM. That additional radiator core thickness means more fin surface area. Fin surface area is a big deal because convection cooling is proportional to surface area.

Note that the Cooling Sky radiator in the Amazon link is specified as “triple-pass.” Thicker-than-OEM radiators are often double or triple pass, depending on inlet/outlet configuration. A triple-pass radiator means that instead of the coolant simply going from one side to the other (single pass), it makes three trips through the radiator before exiting at the radiator outlet. So not only do you have more fin surface area providing cooling, but your coolant spends three times as much time in your radiator getting cooled.

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
Ram kept the same radiator for the 2020 plus but raised the max tow rating by several thousand pounds while still meeting the same J2807 specs. They did so by relocating the intercooler away from in front of the radiator for more fresh air flow and less heat soak. The limited cool air cannot push the hot air out of most of the fins except for if and what the fans are able to suck out and through. Even then its heat soaked air from the intercooler. It would be interesting to see how Ram's new truck with otherwise same configuration would do in this same comparison.

This is not to say cost and ease of changes made that you went the wrong route vs trying to copy what Ram did or even that you would necessarily get better results from what Ram did. I know Ford did it with the EB and Buick did it with the old Grand National years ago with great results but those are apples and oranges.

Last certainly there is longevity in keeping the coolant temps down even if oil temps are normally the first to cause a derate. Similar to you I generally tow a little less weight but with a little more drag. My first engine was replaced due to a pushed head gasket IE a cooling issue at 371k miles. This I believe was spurred by a leaking EGR cooler that had it run low on coolant. Still a better cooling system may have made a significant difference in its longevity. The second cracked a head at 423k miles. This engine was never overheated or ran into coolant derate. It did however spend some time at 240 - 242 even if it was not often or for very long. Jame's engine is down but perhaps not out with cooling issues at 452K miles. IE all three engines cooling and not bearing failures.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Is really cool that you got so many miles out of your engine. All the people complaining on the EcoD facebook pages re. blown engines can't help make a person nervous.

Re. RAM moved the intercooler a bit and therefore the radiator gets more airblast. Agreed. I am curious as to how RAM moved the intercooler. I bet we could do the same thing on an early EcoD just by buying a few 2020 hoses and mounting bits. I don't have access to a late model tho, so I've not seen how it was done.

241 - 260 of 270 Posts