RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Ram kept the same radiator for the 2020 plus but raised the max tow rating by several thousand pounds while still meeting the same J2807 specs. They did so by relocating the intercooler away from in front of the radiator for more fresh air flow and less heat soak. The limited cool air cannot push the hot air out of most of the fins except for if and what the fans are able to suck out and through. Even then its heat soaked air from the intercooler. It would be interesting to see how Ram's new truck with otherwise same configuration would do in this same comparison.

This is not to say cost and ease of changes made that you went the wrong route vs trying to copy what Ram did or even that you would necessarily get better results from what Ram did. I know Ford did it with the EB and Buick did it with the old Grand National years ago with great results but those are apples and oranges.

Last certainly there is longevity in keeping the coolant temps down even if oil temps are normally the first to cause a derate. Similar to you I generally tow a little less weight but with a little more drag. My first engine was replaced due to a pushed head gasket IE a cooling issue at 371k miles. This I believe was spurred by a leaking EGR cooler that had it run low on coolant. Still a better cooling system may have made a significant difference in its longevity. The second cracked a head at 423k miles. This engine was never overheated or ran into coolant derate. It did however spend some time at 240 - 242 even if it was not often or for very long. Jame's engine is down but perhaps not out with cooling issues at 452K miles. IE all three engines cooling and not bearing failures.
Seems like I remember reading that although your first engine was pulled because of the coolant/cooling issue, that further inspection revealed the bearings in general were all but toast with one or more partially spun?

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
Yes motor was still running fine just taken off the road due to head gasket failure / bad coolant leak. Upon teardown inspection the bearings were also found to be toast so it would not have went far. I don't have any indication that the bearings are bad in my second motor but it hasn't been torn down. The second engine seemed to be in better condition than the first despite an extra 50k. I would like to get it torn down. Perhaps GDE would like to tear this one down also. I have not spoke to them to see if they have interest in it.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Vern, what is your typical stabilized towing coolant temp? not up a grade etc. just average?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Yes motor was still running fine just taken off the road due to head gasket failure / bad coolant leak. Upon teardown inspection the bearings were also found to be toast so it would not have went far. I don't have any indication that the bearings are bad in my second motor but it hasn't been torn down. The second engine seemed to be in better condition than the first despite an extra 50k. I would like to get it torn down. Perhaps GDE would like to tear this one down also. I have not spoke to them to see if they have interest in it.
I've done oil analysis at every change. I'll do my 100k oil change next week after this weekend's 13hr tow. I can't help but wonder what I'd do if an oil report came back saying that the bearings are going. I've a RAM warranty for another 10months, but no way RAM would replace the engine just because an oil analysis came back bad.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I dont know what I would do either. I sampled mine at 98,000 miles so I would have time to do something if analysis came back bad. It came back with the same single digit wear numbers it has before so onward I go.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Just for the heck of it it I just did a KBB on my 2014 w/ 99k mile 2WD Laramie Crewcab. I paid just under $40k for it and TRADE IN is $30k. Holey cow, that's just crazy. Only $10k of depreciation after 7yrs?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Like so many others have said, its a great time to sell.... now if you need to replace it you might be up a creek. Talked to a fella that bought a 2021 F250 diesel last week and paid $103,000 :eek:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Like so many others have said, its a great time to sell.... now if you need to replace it you might be up a creek. Talked to a fella that bought a 2021 F250 diesel last week and paid $103,000 :eek:
$103k??? Oh my. I have to have a tow vehicle, so it would need to be replaced. Even the Hemi's are pricey now and they're as common as dirt. So I'm just gonna keep doing my oil analysis and hope for the best.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Where does one find Ecodiesels that have taken some damage and therefore are going cheap? Easy to replace doors, fenders, or the bed

·
Super Moderator
3,652 Posts
Tuned EGR off proper oil newest EGR cooler or EGR cooler delete. I would expect your trucks to make 350K before incurring much repairs. Add rear def and transmission fluid changes.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts