RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys looked into a radiator & or more for the Ecodiesel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No reply from them? Are you still running your original rad Vern? You have a ton of miles. These trucks run a bit hot for my liking and the temps fluctuate a lot more than I am used to in a passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
No reply from them? Are you still running your original rad Vern? You have a ton of miles. These trucks run a bit hot for my liking and the temps fluctuate a lot more than I am used to in a passenger vehicle.
What is 'too hot for your liking'? What do you use your truck for when the temps are up?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess too hot would be over 205 F when driving in temps under 50 F. I don't tow or haul anything. Temps seem to increase rapidly when climbing hills or passing on the highway. Fluctuating up to 210 would be understandable but going all the way up to 217 F is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what happens when it's actually hot out. I'm amazed that guys tow with such a comprising cooling system.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I guess too hot would be over 205 F when driving in temps under 50 F. I don't tow or haul anything. Temps seem to increase rapidly when climbing hills or passing on the highway. Fluctuating up to 210 would be understandable but going all the way up to 217 F is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what happens when it's actually hot out. I'm amazed that guys tow with such a comprising cooling system.
210 degree thermostat is the reason for that.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
My v8 gassers have 180d stars. One with a weak radiator we changed the stat to a 150deg just to help it a little more headroom when working at max stress.

·
Registered
650 Posts
IMO,, Just drive it, all these trucks getting high miles on them have been driven at the same temps, relax.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
DB55B969-9163-4C34-A6C1-C9FF86A18F44.jpeg 29FC55C0-889F-4671-8B39-F87FA35893D3.jpeg

With the thermostat our trucks have they are designed to run warm/ hot. Its a strange thermostat its a dual stage. To get more consistent temps and run cooler we would need a new thermostat and radiator to really help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm glad that I don't tow. If I hit 217 empty I can't imagine what it goes to with a load.

I know the Ram ED crowd isn't so fond of us Dodge 5.9L Cummins guys but I just towed a load where my GVW was ~22,000 lbs. my winter front was cover 3/4s of the grill and I only saw200F pulling a decent grade. This truck is at least 75 hp over stock. Pyro hit 1200F and boost was 37 psi.

I'm just trying to get my baby Ram figured out. I keep my trucks a long time. I want it to last.

No panties to get in a wad! I go commando! LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I forgot this thread & have been back on the road.
If the Eco boys are not fond of Cummins I never got the memo.
Today VM & Duramax stats start to open at 205. Even Cummins & Ford don’t start until I think 195. At 217 the stats isn’t even fully open. They are designed to operate warmer these days for fuel efficiency & to contend with emmissions related issues. Synthetic oils have no issues with warmer temps. Towing is generally 220 to 230 water.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I know the Ram ED crowd isn't so fond of us Dodge 5.9L Cummins guys
Ya, I didn't get that memo either,. I have read many posts by Cummins guys, and heard nothing but good comments from the Eco Diesel guys about the Cummins engines.

We all know that they are really a different animal. Its a real WORK truck, rides like a truck, much more power, and therefore not quite so good on fuel. All in all it's an awesome truck if you need that much truck.
Been suggested many times that some members should upgrade to the Cummins because of their hauling needs.

The EcoD is a great truck but still only a 1/2 ton truck and you have to treat it as such.

Good luck with your new Truck!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if they stuffed a 3.0L I6 Cummins into the 1/2 ton they would be FLYING out of the dealerships!
Its not even a cummins and GM putting an inline 6 in their half ton diesel already has me contemplating asking the wife if we can get one after the first few year models work the kinks out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts