RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and am hoping to get a little help. I upgraded the radio in my 2013 Ram 1500. I upgraded my factory 8.4N (RA3) to a 8.4AN (RA4). Everything works fine as far as the radio goes.
The problem I am having is with the RA4 radio installed, I am getting a flashing tire light with a ding sound on the dash at times. And sometimes it will cause a "service trailer brake" warning. This happens very randomly.However, It was raining the other day and the warning was constant. I have read about the water issues with the trailer connector, and have checked and resealed all those connections but still get the warning messages.
What is strange is that I can switch the radio back to the factory RA3 and the problem goes away and I do not get any warnings.
I have also tried updating the software on the RA4 and I have tried factory resetting the RA4 but the problem remains.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be or any ideas on fixes? Why do you think the RA4 causes the warnings and the RA3 does not cause the warnings? Could the warnings have been disabled in the RA3?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you update the Body Control Module (BCM) when you installed the radio?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I did not do that. I think from what I read a dealer would have to do that. I don't mind paying a dealer to do it, I just didn't know if that would fix the problem. Do you think that might fix the problem?

·
Registered
195 Posts
By the way, welcome to the forum.

I looked at the installation instructions and there are a lot of connectors that are dis-connected and re-connected during installation. I would make sure that all of those are firmly seated and locked in place. Then I would have the BCM updated. That should allow functionality of the radio. It also updates the VIN sales code in the BCM and in the FCA VIN tracker so that it appears as if the new radio was dealer installed. When I have added new accessories to my Ram the updated VIN actually created a new window sticker showing the added parts. That should help resale value when/if the day comes.

The BCM update at my dealer is $50 US each time I've done it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome and advice. I thought the same thing with all the connections behind the dash so I triple checked them and all seems good. I 1st thought that was probably the problem.
I guess the next step is to have the dealer add it to my truck and see if that solves the problem. I've tried everything else I can think of.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Basically the RA3 to RA4 upgrade is a plug and play exchange, the only dealer update might be for the NAV portion to work.

The UConnect is an upgrade but should already be active in your truck. I have read of some problems where the UConnect system wouldn't always operate properly after the upgrade, but no mention of the problems you put forth.

It is possible you may have a problem radio. Again, make sure you have the proper upgrade version, RA4 radios only 2013-14 radio, version 16.13.13, 2015- up, version 16.16.13.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ramzaq, I bet that is my problem. If I remember correct, the RA4 was from a 2016 Ram. I bet that is my problem. You probably saved me a trip to the dealer. If it is in fact the wrong version, do you know if the dealer is able to flash the 16.13.13 software on it to make it capable with my 2013?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Was checking around, notice you requested info on 2 other Ram forums, and found some info for you. Can't link to other forums but, go to the "Ram forum" without the z in the name. Go to the audio and electronics section and search for the first post there listed below, was on the second page when I looked. In the post someone linked to the DIY section with the name below.

A lot of information about the different radios and years. I noticed someone said that a 2016 radio seemed to cause the most problems when upgrading. This forum is a little more active than the Z and with a great DIY section.

From looking I doubt you will be able to back version the radio as it has some different firmware than your 2013 radio. I don't think your radio is "toast" as one person replied over there, more like certain compatibility problems. Even though this is basically about 5.0 upgrade you should find some useful info. Hope this helps

5in to 8.4 doable? (audio and electronics)

INFO - 2013-2018 8.4AN FW Notes (RA4/VP4 NA & UAx) (4th Gen DIY)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts