RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used Rain X for years in my old truck but when I put it in my new truck the windshield low fluid light keeps coming on . So I called the dealer said that Rain X don't show up on the sensor so I would have to add water to it . I have added a half a gallon of water light still on . I was just wondering if anyone else has had any problem. I kinda hope its a bad sensor because I like using Rain X

·
Registered
738 Posts
I quit using Rain because it seems to leave a film on the windshield after a time. My current brand is "whatever is on sale"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
On friday for the first time I was low on the factory fluid and put in some green rainx.... I drove all weekend and no lights yet, knock wood!

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Never heard of putting it into the washer bottle. Mmmmm.

Can't understand why they are using anything to report low washer fluid. Just look in and see what's in there. Even a simple float would work easily and probably be more reliable than some kind of sensor. Did hear there's some products that will damage the wipers if used in the bottle. Mine does not have that problem. My washer pump does not work. Maybe never worked. Still waiting for parts and a return to the dealer.

Maybe if I put Rain X in, it will work?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The dealer is full of crap !!!!

I love Rain-X. Once you build that coating... light rain just fly's off the windshield, and you don't even need the wipers at highway speed.

Anyway... I drained my washer tank the morning after I got my truck, and refilled the tank with Rain-X. (the orange stuff) It works just fine. It sounds like there is an issue with the sensor, or the plug is loose.

Rohmbus.... that's the point. It puts a polymer layer on the windshield to keep the rain from making it hard to see. You need to use it for a while, and it will work great!! (I like the washer fluid, not the application wipes)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Never heard of putting it into the washer bottle. Mmmmm.

Can't understand why they are using anything to report low washer fluid. Just look in and see what's in there. Even a simple float would work easily and probably be more reliable than some kind of sensor. Did hear there's some products that will damage the wipers if used in the bottle. Mine does not have that problem. My washer pump does not work. Maybe never worked. Still waiting for parts and a return to the dealer.

Maybe if I put Rain X in, it will work?
I like your thinking capt., a little reverse psychology on your truck!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The dealer is full of crap !!!!

I love Rain-X. Once you build that coating... light rain just fly's off the windshield, and you don't even need the wipers at highway speed.

Anyway... I drained my washer tank the morning after I got my truck, and refilled the tank with Rain-X. (the orange stuff) It works just fine. It sounds like there is an issue with the sensor, or the plug is loose.

Rohmbus.... that's the point. It puts a polymer layer on the windshield to keep the rain from making it hard to see. You need to use it for a while, and it will work great!! (I like the washer fluid, not the application wipes)
Is there a difference between the green and orange stuff? I only ever see the green around here?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rain "X" is just a silicone based fluid. It shouldn't fault out any codes. BTW rain "X" doesn't film if you build the layer like Dr. Honda mentioned. It takes some time to really work it in but it lasts for a very long time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'v always had good luck with it, definatly not the cheapest stuff that's for sure
I'v never used the wipers in conjuction with the fluid, I wonder if it actually makes a difference

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input I was thinking the same about the dealer lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
I stopped using rain x a few years back, it smears over time and at night in rain, it's blinding.... easier to just keep the windshield clean.. and don't forget to wipe the wipers too. the wipers touch all the dirt on the windshield, so keeping them clean helps.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I stopped using rain x a few years back, it smears over time and at night in rain, it's blinding.... easier to just keep the windshield clean.. and don't forget to wipe the wipers too. the wipers touch all the dirt on the windshield, so keeping them clean helps.
Use rubbing alcohol to clean them, It is supposed to help keep the rubber in original condition. Not sure about that or if it is one of those old wives tales.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Use rubbing alcohol to clean them, It is supposed to help keep the rubber in original condition. Not sure about that or if it is one of those old wives tales.
The alcohol pad trick does in fact work with a single swipe from tip to tip...
BUT... It dries out the rubber, so that first time you turn the wipers on if the windshield is not completely clean it will nick the blade and then you have that annoying streak that gets missed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Does anyone know if the use of RainX effect the auto-sensing windshield wipers at all?
Page 183 of the manual states that use of Rain-X may effect rain sensing wipers on equipped models.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had mine to the shop yesterday...There is a TSB on this. Rain-repelling fluid don't jive with the probe sensors in the tanks. My light triggered after I drained my tank and filled it with rain-x fluid. Hasn't gone off since.

basically stuck with it unless I want to use cheap-o crappy washer fluid.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Always used rain X . I have gone through 2 jugs in my ed, no issues, from that owners manual snap shot it seems like it may cause problems with the rain sensing issue, hopefully those of us with out rain sense won't have problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the same problem .The dealership that I took it to not the one that I bought it from said that I would have to pay for a new sensor because I used Rain X. He said it was in the owners manual, but I never saw anything about except about the rain sense wiper blades but why would I read that when I don't have them. Lets just say I wasn't very happy .Then I remembered why I didn't like that dealership . LoL So I went home and drained it all out and pulled the sensor out my self and cleaned it and put it back in no more problems ,but I might try It again . Because Rain X works so much better than the blue water

1 - 20 of 20 Posts