RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not only are there 3 diesel engines that made Ward's list in 2014, but one of them is in a truck! That is of course why you are reading these words on this site. The 3.0L EcoDiesel that is fitted in the Ram 1500 has made list of the top 10 engines in 2014. This is no small feat as some of the contenders on the list UNDER the 3.0L EcoDiesel have given names like Cayman, and Stingray. Seems only fitting that there is a Ram in the list of animals on the top 10 list.

Sourced from FIAT-owned VM Motori and also mated to an 8-speed automatic, the Ram's torquey diesel has no trouble motivating a 3-ton pickup truck while managing up to 24 mpg combined during Ward’s test drives
That sort of praise is nothing to shake a stick at. The testers are not only driving trucks and cars that normal people get to drive, but they are also testing the cream of the crop from the top auto makers around the globe. Topping the charts of the list was the supercharged 3.0L engine that lives at the heart of the S4 and S5 from Audi. Serious machinery there. The Ram EcoDiesel lands at number 3 on the list just behind the force fed 3.0L diesel situated in the BMW 535d. Two premium German auto makers, and then the Ram. Guess Daddy Fiat is really doing some good things with the Ram.

To see the full list follow the link over there =====> Ward's 10 Best Engines of 2014

·
Registered
149 Posts
First MT Truck of the Year now this. I'm pretty happy for the Chrysler Group. There's a lot of history (most of it not the best) so it's good to see them beginning their slow ascent to the top.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The article is an expansion of what was referenced in this post.

Note that the Pentastar in the Ram 1500 made the 2013 Top Ten and the Hemi did the same in 2009, the only truck applications to make the list during that period.
In 2004 both the Hemi and Cummins were in the Top Ten, so Ram is no stranger to awards.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
First MT Truck of the Year now this. I'm pretty happy for the Chrysler Group. There's a lot of history (most of it not the best) so it's good to see them beginning their slow ascent to the top.
Remember, not just the Diesel, but the whole Ram 1500 line won truck of the year.

Reactions: cereal killer

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad they got the third spot but hard to take the award seriously when not one of the engines has had a real world test with the new emissions package. Kind of like giving a doctor his degree because he has bought the text books and promises to do well on the test down the road.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Glad they got the third spot but hard to take the award seriously when not one of the engines has had a real world test with the new emissions package. Kind of like giving a doctor his degree because he has bought the text books and promises to do well on the test down the road.
People have been testing the Ram emissions system for over a year in pre-production and long-term pilot vehicles, and the technology has been refined for years in other brands. There is no reason to believe the emissions system will be a major problem although time will tell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The emission systems are the reason for all the delays. The final specs that finally passed North American emissions standards have not been tested for a year. They are just smothering these engines with all the emissions crap. The eco cherokee has had a great deal of problems so far up here in canada. Mostly with the DEF systems. It will all get worked out but I think I will give it a few years just to make sure the hype continues.

P

·
0 Posts
So the almost decade worth of testing on over the road rigs is non-transferable to this engine?? Sorry but I'm taking all of the talk of DEF problems with a huge grain of salt since it seems to come from a lot of the same sources that just whine about anything emission related. And I've been talking to actual engine engineers who have said the systems aren't nearly as complex as people think and are fairly fool-proof but testing takes a LONG time as apparently any tiny chance of failure is exploited to strangle diesel expansion by the EPA. Combine that with a slowdown within the EPA as backlash against their defunding early on in the shutdown and any new engine will be delayed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The emission systems are the reason for all the delays. The final specs that finally passed North American emissions standards have not been tested for a year. They are just smothering these engines with all the emissions crap. The eco cherokee has had a great deal of problems so far up here in canada. Mostly with the DEF systems. It will all get worked out but I think I will give it a few years just to make sure the hype continues.
What are the specs that caused the delay?
What alternatives are there to the "crap?"
What specific DEF problems have been common?

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Looked like a Photoshop to me until I read the article. Why a big dinner over motors? Must be a pile of money to gain by someone.

As for the 3.0 Moteri, my wife and I just had a breakfast discussion. She heard form someone who knew someone that knows someone that the delays will be longer than expected??? I mean - orders in March/April.

May as well wait for the 2015 model year or see if there's a deal on the Cummins. It's supposedly the same emissions.

P

·
0 Posts
The two dealers here (southside of atlanta) said they got confirmation that trucks were being assembled and shipped this week. They did not pre-order any as they had little customer interest and so they should be able to order one to be on the lot in April/May, and he understood orders would be open by April. I'm inclined to believe it is a combination of multiple problems as apparently the main DEF tank supplier has been working overtime to keep up with demand (was one of the delays on the Grand Cherokee version too) and the EPA apparently has held up new testing after the gov't shutdown causing even more delays. It sounded like the managers were upset that they weren't considered essential and so are slowing the works, not sure it impacts the EcoDiesel rating but willing to give them the benefit of that possibility.

As with most engineering failures, it's rarely one thing that breaks; sounds like the whole system has had multiple small errors that have added up to Ram being stuck. Apparently there is some concern in the dealer network that orders could be help up by system limitations, some at Ram have said they could limit the numbers to 10% of production. Next year the VM production is supposed to almost double over the 2013 numbers so production could increase for 2015s. VM is expecting 30% rate on the 1500s by next year so a production rate increase from the 55k 2012 to 185k expected for 2014/15. Still not may engines spread across Ram, GC (US and Euro) and 300 (Euro), plus whatever expansion occurs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts