RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you order a Ram 1500 with the air suspension you will not be able to tow a fifth wheel trailer. None of the hitch manufacturers make one that will fit due to interference with the air pump under the bed..................

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Why would you want to tow a fifth wheel with a 1500??? You don't have the payload capacity for the pin weight! If you have 1400 in payload, 200 pounds for a sliding hitch, 400 pounds of gear, wife, dog, kids, that leaves you 800 pounds on the conservative side for pin weight of a loaded (not dry) trailer before you overload the truck. I try not to be a weight police, but this truck is not made to tow a fifth wheel. Get a 2500.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can not imagine anyone using a fifth wheel for this 1500 in particular......

2 bigger guys, 2 bales of hay, and 2 cases of beer, and it's at max payload....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This fifth wheel is 21' with a hitch weight of 450lbs and a gross weight of 4400lbs. The ram 1500 will more than handle that size trailer...........

·
Registered
279 Posts
Having the spec to handle the trailer? and handling a 5th wheel as a 3/4 ton truck would, and is designed for, I guess it's how you define the word "handle" ....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This fifth wheel is 21' with a hitch weight of 450lbs and a gross weight of 4400lbs. The ram 1500 will more than handle that size trailer...........
I guess you have one of those tiny fifth wheels. Sorry for being a little grumpy. I was thinking someone was thinking this truck could handle a "half ton towable" fifth wheel. My apologies.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
There are lots of small 5th wheels for sale right now here in Florida. The "snowbirds" are thinking of heading back north and trying to sell their trailers. The smaller ones are not good for living in all winter and the first to go are the 5th wheels, followed by huge or smaller pull trailers.

Problem with a 5th wheel is you can't cover your bed and the bed basically has to be empty during the tow. With a small trailer you don't have much space to store your stuff. Friend tows one with his Ford 150. They are commonly used or parked around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts