RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many are the auto executives who think this is the time for Americans to overcome their long-standing phobia of diesel engines. Truck enthusiasts have been begging automakers to offer a diesel engine for years in half-ton pickups because diesel engines typically offer more torque and get better fuel economy. But automakers, who offer diesel engines in heavy-duty pickups, have held back, fearful that buyers wouldn’t buy enough of them to justify production. At Ram that is changing. Bob Hegbloom, Ram chief, predicts the diesel engine in the 2014 Ram 1500 pickup will be a “game changer.”

Continue Reading @ freep.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
As most of us know Europe has been using diesel engines for decades... it is the only way to go for fuel economy. That why GM originally developed this engine for use in the Cadillac CTS for sale in Germany. Diesels got such a bad wrap in the US from the Oldsmobile gasoline converted V8 to diesel engine years ago. VM Motori has been around since 1947 and the only thing they manufacture are diesel engines, right in the heartland of Ferrari, Maserati and Ducati. Amongst other applications their engines are used in the traditional London taxicab. There is a lot of interesting info on web about VM Motori.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would argue that the relative scarcity of diesel passenger vehicles here has nothing to do with the Oldsmobile. You could ask 1000 folks on the street what they know of the early American experiments with diesel passenger vehicles and at best one person would have a clue. And that one person wouldn't be me either. The reason we have so few diesel passenger cars here is that our government hasn't used tax laws to push them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with Ranger and the publics misconception about diesel to boot. On another note, a friend of mine just donated her dad's Oldsmobile to the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing, Michigan. He quit drivng it when he heard of the diesel problems. It had less than 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
RangerGress- I would have to agree with you.... I guess I am showing my age. I have a diesel powered lawn mower and a diesel tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts